Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Upgrade - Pro Tools HD 8 to 10 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=375788)

orc 12-22-2015 11:22 AM

Upgrade - Pro Tools HD 8 to 10

Hello,

My TDM system is like this:

- HD 2 accel, PT HD 8 software
- 192 (blue) Analog I/O
- Mac Intel - Mac OS X 10.6

I am thinking of a software upgrade from the PT HD 8 to 10 but little bit confused because I read, some were having issues with PT HD 10 on the TDM system. I got some questions and I'd appreciate if you could answer like Yes or No for each. Further, if you could also give an additional comment that would be awesome.

1 - How does the .ptx files work on the TDM systems? Can I utilise all the TDM, AAX Native and RTAS plug-ins at the same time on PT HD 10? (e.g. one plug is TDM while other is AAX Native)

2 - On the Avid page, the PT HD 10 system requirement, it works on OS X 10.6.7 through 10.7.4. But what about Mountain Lion. Will HD 10 work on 10.8 as well?

3 - Since the upgrade is $1,500, does it worth it or better stay with PT HD 8?

soul 12-22-2015 09:59 PM

Re: Upgrade - Pro Tools HD 8 to 10

PTHD10 works on Mac OS 10.8. I upgraded/bought a license for $600 a few years ago, when they announced the end of TDM support. Glad I did it then.

$1500 seems expensive. Ive seen upgrade prices here around $1000 recently.

If you are sticking with TDM, then yes it makes sense. The software is solid. You cant go to 11 or 12 with TDM hardware. But if you're already invested in an HD system, and can get a good deal on PTHD10... then I would do it.

orc 12-23-2015 12:18 AM

Thanks. Yes, it's too expensive but more important is, people send me their mixes as .ptx file, .ptf is such ended nowadays. And sometimes those seasons have AAX Native plug-ins such as AIR's, which I am not able to open it on my TDM system.

So, again. How does the .ptx files work on the TDM systems? Can I utilise all the TDM, AAX Native and RTAS plug-ins at the same time on PT HD 10?

If the answer is yes, then I can pay for the upgrade, even it's crazy expensive.

tonwurm 12-23-2015 02:53 AM

I had no problems to open .ptx files from PT11/12, since I have PT11 installed, too. Sometimes I open PT11 to make some offline-bounces and re-open that session in PT10 again, as said with no problems.

all my AAX plugs (f.e. NI Kontakt, Slate Digital, Softube, Soundtoys...), work perfectly together with TDM and RTAS plugs ... same behavior and no difference in performance compared to RTAS

Mountain Lion is the last recommended system for PT10 by avid, but (at least for me) it works without any issues on Mavericks. PT10 will definitely not work on Yosemite or EL Capitan

tonwurm 12-23-2015 02:58 AM

forgot to mention that .ptx is the default format in which PT10 saves a session. PT10 no longer uses .ptf like earlier PT versions

orc 12-23-2015 07:18 AM

Thanks for the detailed info. I knew that both TDM and AAX formats don't work at same time in a session on PT 10. So, That is why I did not upgrade when it was cheaper. Well, the news that I got from you guys sounds awesome but I am thinking of waiting little bit more if Avid will reduce the crazy upgrade price. Though it does not seem so.

soul 12-23-2015 08:41 AM

Yes PT10 will open the older ptf files and you can use tdm/aax/rtas plugs

If you're having issues opening client files b/c you are on PT8, then yes it def makes sense to upgrade...along with features like clip gain! disk cache, built-in mp3 support, adc, etc.

Check the buy and sell forum here. You can find upgrades for a lot less $.

orc 12-23-2015 12:44 PM

Thank you. I am going to check it.

ben.j.ferrer.1 09-23-2018 08:27 PM

I’m having an issue with PT10 and TDM drivers not working . It started to chatter then when I removed the 11.3 drivers it all went south from there . Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grey 09-27-2018 07:09 PM

Hi All
I am following this thread. I am also looking at upgrading from HD 8->HD10.

My system runs great:
2009 MacPro 4.1 -> 5.1
32 gig ram
Snow Leopard or Lion (both run great)
192, loaded
HD1 ( maybe upgrade)
I do mostly Sound Design, Post, some recording.
In the box.

My Questions:

What are the Major benefits of moving to HD 10?
Would I benefit from upgrading TDM cards? HD2 HD3?
Or simply stay where I am?