Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   ProControl, Control|24, Command|8 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Control|24 and ProControl with Pro Tools 11? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=338894)

xStix99x 05-08-2013 10:00 PM

Control|24 and ProControl with Pro Tools 11?

I'm a sound assistant for a studio, and they put me in charge of finding a control console that will be put in the new dub stage. They want to have the new Pro Tools 11 system integrated on the stage, but they were unsure of how the avid D-command and D-control boards work with the new pro tools. Here is what I need to know if anyone has any idea:

1.Will an AVID C24 work with PT 11? What PT would I need (HD, HD Native, HDX)?

2.Will a Digidesign Control 24 (The older models) work with PT 11? What PT would I need (HD, HD Native, HDX)?

3.What setup would you recommend for a dub stage that is looking to buy whatever they can secondhand?

Please be as detailed as you want, and I thank anyone in advance who can give me some answers.

albee1952 05-09-2013 09:30 AM

Re: Control 24/C24 and Pro Tools 11

C24 will work with 11 and all versions you mentioned. Control24 will not be supported(which doesn't mean it WON'T work, but nobody knows yet). You might be better off with a couple of Artist Mix fader packs and an Artist Control(which is cheaper than a used C24). D-Command and D-control should both be fine with 11.

markus44uk 05-16-2013 01:07 PM

Control|24 with Pro Tools HD 11?

I have an original Control 24 and I know its not officially supported but fingers crossed it will still work. $600 is a lot to spend to find out afterwards...

Bruce Paine 05-16-2013 01:23 PM

Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools 11?

The Control|24 is listed under the category "Not Officially Supported Audio Interfaces and Peripherals (Untested)". So we don't know that it will or will not work for certain, but it is not listed as "Definitely will not work". Wish I could be more exact, but as it says, untested.

markus44uk 05-16-2013 01:42 PM

So the key questions are:
1) Why wouldn't Avid at least TRY to see if the Control 24 works so you can at least let us know?
2) Which Driver for the Control 24 will I want to use? The latest one from my PT 10 Native+CPTK 2 upgrade?

Thanks for the help Bruce

crizdee 05-16-2013 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markus44uk (Post 2040489)
1) Why wouldn't Avid at least TRY to see if the Control 24 works so you can at least let us know?
2) Which Driver for the Control 24 will I want to use? The latest one from my PT 10 Native+CPTK 2 upgrade?

Hi,

As the Control 24 is EOL Avid won't make any official statement as to whether it works or not or whether its been working during beta. were on our own now and until someone boots PT11 with a control 24 and posts on the forum we won't know!! If the driver is not bundles with PT11 then i guess we try the latest with that will come with PT 10.3.5 Stay tuned

Lets hope it works unless you want to see a grown man cry:o :D

Chris

markus44uk 05-16-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crizdee (Post 2040496)
Hi,

As the Control 24 is EOL Avid won't make any official statement as to whether it works or not or whether its been working during beta. were on our own now and until someone boots PT11 with a control 24 and posts on the forum we won't know!! If the driver is not bundles with PT11 then i guess we try the latest with that will come with PT 10.3.5 Stay tuned

Chris

If it doesn't work...I'm stuck with PT 10 + CPTK 2 then...NO WAY I am spending the £4k to buy a C24 when my Control 24 works perfectly...still wish they would have at least asked someone beta testing PT11 with a Control 24 to test it...how hard would that be...heck..I'd offer to test it before I cough up $599!!!

And 003R is EOL as well but they tested that !

DigiTechSupt 05-16-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markus44uk (Post 2040497)
...still wish they would have at least asked someone beta testing PT11 with a Control 24 to test it...how hard would that be...heck..I'd offer to test it before I cough up $599!!!

It seems it would be less responsible to claim support/compatibility solely based on 1 beta tester's experience. I don't have definitive word on this yet, but following the example of the PT10 Trial I would anticipate availability of a PT11 Trial which would allow you to try it on your own system before purchasing.

Quote:

And 003R is EOL as well but they tested that !
True they are both EOL, but keep in mind the timing of these products...
Control|24 - Last Sale date 12/31/2007 - End of Support 12/31/2012
003 - Last Sale Date 3/31/2011 - End of Support 3/31/2016

markus44uk 05-16-2013 02:13 PM

A Trial of PT 11 would be a blessing...how would that work logistically? Purchase for $599, download and test and if it doesn't work I submit for a refund?

CME 05-16-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markus44uk (Post 2040504)
A Trial of PT 11 would be a blessing...how would that work logistically? Purchase for $599, download and test and if it doesn't work I submit for a refund?

Just like they've done in the past. Request the demo. Get a temporary ilok license. Download the software and see what happens. If it works and you like it, you buy a permanent license to replace the temporary one. Swap licenses and you're good to go.

markus44uk 05-16-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CME (Post 2040507)
Just like they've done in the past. Request the demo. Get a temporary ilok license. Download the software and see what happens. If it works and you like it, you buy a permanent license to replace the temporary one. Swap licenses and you're good to go.

Sounds like a fair deal to me....sooooooo WHEN ????

Drew Mazurek 05-16-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markus44uk (Post 2040509)

Sometime during the 2nd Quarter. Which ends June 28th.

markus44uk 05-16-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek (Post 2040514)
Sometime during the 2nd Quarter. Which ends June 28th.

cool...thanks:D

ejwells 05-16-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markus44uk (Post 2040509)

I'd say probably shortly after PT11 is released?

YYR123 05-16-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markus44uk (Post 2040489)

One word for you - PT11HD trial

louieshowers 05-17-2013 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crizdee (Post 2040496)
Hi,

Chris

Ridiculous in my opinion. Avid should do this test themselves at the very least. If it is not compatible, they should make it compatible. Don't own one, but it doesn't matter. Leaving this issue up to the consumer to test is irresponsible. It is a perfect example of Avid's methods that absolutely need to become automatic, in the best interest of their customers.

marianna 05-17-2013 06:33 AM

Lou....

Ping me any time - I an only an email or a tweet away. As for Control 24 - the product is End of Life (EOL) so the testing team has to make a decision. Test the EOL gear or test "Current" gear, CPU's, Laptops, Controllers, OS's etc.....

That isn't irresponsible.... its the way it is with most companies.

Maybe if an when the testing team comes up for air - they can rethink that but it is what it is... today.

Marianna

louieshowers 05-17-2013 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marianna (Post 2040702)
Lou....

Maybe if an when the testing team comes up for air - they can rethink that but it is what it is... today.

Marianna

Thanks! Like I said, I do not own one, but I am sure that a definitive yes or no regarding support would go a long way for people, rather than having them test it on their own. Even though most companies operate in that way, Avid can start to set itself above the rest with little courtesies like this. Customer service is priceless in today's marketplace. Sometimes it is the little things that go a long way. Just like you offering your email, cell, etc. That is awesome! Maybe you can take over the company? You seem to have great people skills.

Thanks, and have an awesome weekend!
:D Lou

nst7 05-17-2013 08:08 AM

Louieshowers,

The Control 24 was announced as being End of Life a year and a half ago, and that it would not be compatible with PT11, along with several other products. A year and a half is plenty of time for owners to make decisions and make other plans.

Avid is not responsible to test anything they already stated was end of life that long ago.

John_Toolbox 05-17-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nst7 (Post 2040739)
Louieshowers,

The Control 24 was announced as being End of Life a year and a half ago, and that it would not be compatible with PT11, along with several other products. A year and a half is plenty of time for owners to make decisions and make other plans.

Avid is not responsible to test anything they already stated was end of life that long ago.

Just to add to this, Control 24 was discontinued in 2007. So it was supported for 5 years after that, which I think is pretty good.

louieshowers 05-17-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nst7 (Post 2040739)
Louieshowers,

OK...thanks for the info...

again, I don't own one, but it seems that many of these are still circulating about. Some people may want to continue using them. End of life does not mean they vanish off of the earth. In a perfect world, older stuff should be able to be handled by newer stuff...just like pt10 can open pt 9,8,7 etc. Not looking for a debate here, just voicing.

DigiTechSupt 05-17-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louieshowers (Post 2040761)
...again, I don't own one, but it seems that many of these are still circulating about. Some people may want to continue using them. End of life does not mean they vanish off of the earth. In a perfect world, older stuff should be able to be handled by newer stuff...just like pt10 can open pt 9,8,7 etc. Not looking for a debate here, just voicing.

Thanks for your perspective. If we could maintain support/compatibility with every existing product while adding new ones and changing code to work with new Operating Systems and devices we would. It's just not practical. The test grid alone would eventually prevent us from shipping a product. Technology moves on, and we do our best to balance new products & features with support of existing ones for a reasonable amount of time.

Regarding the Control|24, as previously stated... we stopped selling them in 2007 and it was added to the KB with a 12/31/2012 End of Support date.

There are trade-in offers available to Control|24 owners that want to move to newer console or version of Pro Tools.
Quote:

I am sure that a definitive yes or no regarding support would go a long way for people
The code for Control|24 was not re-written for Pro Tools 11 or Pro Tools HD 11 so unfortunately that answer would be no.

CME 05-17-2013 10:42 AM

Re: Control|24 with Pro Tools HD 11?

And if something is in the untested section I would at least test it myself. I see that section as "stuff we think should work as we didn't remove anything it needs, but we have a lot of stuff to test as it is and won't be testing this particular item to confirm it works". Maybe control 24 owners will be pleasantly surprised.

I also don't have a horse in this race. I do hope it works out though.

Drew Mazurek 05-17-2013 12:18 PM

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/c...nd-Peripherals

Docs have been updated. Control 24 WILL NOT WORK.

Southsidemusic 05-17-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marianna (Post 2040702)
Lou....

Ping me any time - I an only an email or a tweet away. As for Control 24 - the product is End of Life (EOL) so the testing team has to make a decision. Test the EOL gear or test "Current" gear, CPU's, Laptops, Controllers, OS's etc.....

Marianna

+1

Maybe Avid should test the old Mix Farm cards aswell seeing that many people still use those :p

Avid has to draw the line somewhere but "some people" clearly don't get it..
They expect you guys to just please every single user and that is BS!
It is not like The EOL products has come as a surprise and we have known this for quite some time now.
However, Of course I too hope that Control 24 works in PT11 for the people who invested 5-6-7-8-10 thousands of dollars on them but reality is they are becomming quite old so if it is not today it will be one day soon but as I said, I hope they work for the users who have one. We had one too but sold it when 10 came out and I really loved the Control 24. It made us alot of money and has paid for itself 20 times before we parted ways and it is a good piece of mashinery even today :-)

And to Marianna : A BIG Thank You for all your involvement and taking time to be here for us in person is really a Big Leap forward :-) Great Job :-)

CME 05-17-2013 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek (Post 2040821)

Well I guess that settles it. Hate to hear that for those who own one. :-/

louieshowers 05-17-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2040828)
+1

Maybe Avid should test the old Mix Farm cards aswell seeing that many people still use those :p

Avid has to draw the line somewhere but "some people" clearly don't get it..
They expect you guys to just please every single user and that is BS!
It is not like The EOL products has come as a surprise and we have known this for quite some time now.
However, Of course I too hope that Control 24 works in PT11 for the people who invested 5-6-7-8-10 thousands of dollars on them but reality is they are becomming quite old so if it is not today it will be one day soon but as I said, I hope they work for the users who have one. We had one too but sold it when 10 came out and I really loved the Control 24. It made us alot of money and has paid for itself 20 times before we parted ways and it is a good piece of mashinery even today :-)

Wow, congratulations with all of your success, forsight and good decision making. Glad YOU are happy. :rolleyes:

Southsidemusic 05-17-2013 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louieshowers (Post 2040886)
Wow, congratulations with all of your success, forsight and good decision making. Glad YOU are happy. :rolleyes:

Why thank you Louie ;)
.. you don't seem to be able to post anything nice here and every post I read you are complaining and demanding and insulting Avid, their business ethics and other users! Really NOT helpful at all guy!

zedhed 05-20-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2040914)
Why thank you Louie ;)
.. you don't seem to be able to post anything nice here and every post I read you are complaining and demanding and insulting Avid, their business ethics and other users! Really NOT helpful at all guy!

LOL so I'm not the only one who's noticed. Get's a bit boring tho huh

louieshowers 05-21-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zedhed (Post 2041657)
LOL so I'm not the only one who's noticed. Get's a bit boring tho huh

And your posts are all cheerie o! give it a rest will you! You both have no right to complain about my posts' tone..look in the mirror. I HAVE ALWAYS PROMOTED RESPECT AND GOOD VIBES amongst users on this forum (who show the same ). I have a right to voice my dissatisfaction as others do too. Go have a tea together and relax. I am not apologizing for critiquing this company..Especially when I have been thanked personally for doing so by Marianna. I did not create the customer dissatisfaction. It took years and I am still here optimistically hoping for change. Remember that.

YYR123 05-21-2013 09:19 AM

:rolleyes:

louieshowers 05-21-2013 09:28 AM

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Quote:

Originally Posted by YYR123 (Post 2041759)
:rolleyes:

crizdee 05-21-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek (Post 2040821)

Ouch:(

Guess they have tried it now and it doesn't work! i thought it might just work but not be suppoted as in 888 interfaces and Adat bridge and Pro control did for many years and through many new versions. Thats a real shame as there's a lot of Control 24's still working well in studios everywhere.

I could go with a new computer and a couple of HDX cards, but the control surface as well thats a big expence to add on.

Chris

Drew Mazurek 05-21-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crizdee (Post 2041770)
Ouch:(
Guess they have tried it now and it doesn't work! i thought it might just work but not be suppoted as in 888 interfaces and Adat bridge and Pro control did for many years and through many new versions.

Yeah Chris, I think this ones for real. Not just unsupported...

P,B,S 05-21-2013 10:59 AM

Thats to bad. :(
I was really looking forward to HD11.
Now it looks like Im out until AVID makes a brand new surface and I can afford it.
Im not about to buy something agin that wont work in HD12.
THIS SUCKS FOR ME BECAUSE PT10 has been nothing but problems for me so far

SO IF YOU WANT MONEY FROM ME AVID YOUR GONNA HAVE TO MAKE A BRAND NEW MODEL
no more legacy purchases for me, including the about to be C24

I wonder what PT12/14 is gonna be like
ACTUALLY NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT
Being a advanced pre paid buyer of HDX wasn't such a good idea after all.
A interface I didnt need but had to and a Control surface I do but cant afford.
Im holding up a finger right now AVID guess which one it is

nst7 05-21-2013 11:42 AM

But why didn't you do this rant a year and a half ago when Avid first announced that the Control 24 wouldn't be supported past PT10? I don't understand why this is suddenly a surprise to people.

crizdee 05-21-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nst7 (Post 2041803)
But why didn't you do this rant a year and a half ago when Avid first announced that the Control 24 wouldn't be supported past PT10? I don't understand why this is suddenly a surprise to people.

Hi,

I think its a surprise to everyone because until a week ago it was on the not supported but will work list. Now its on the big door stop list.

Chris

marianna 05-21-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louieshowers (Post 2041739)
I am not apologizing for critiquing this company..Especially when I have been thanked personally for doing so by Marianna. I did not create the customer dissatisfaction. It took years and I am still here optimistically hoping for change. Remember that.

All...

True, I have encouraged the community as a whole to keep us on our toes but while I encourage everyone to question what we do and how we do it..... I ask that before you HIT SEND, you reread your post and think " would I like to be on the receiving end of this?".

We want to encourage change and we want to continue to be responsive BUT if you keep hitting us over the head with the same negative message - human nature is to tune it out.

Remember - It isnt what you say - but how you say it that will likely get traction internally. I have always suggested you tell us what needs to change then offer solutions that we might consider. Just critiquing over and over without offering any suggestions or solutions isn't going to work.

You always get more flies with honey.....

:)

Marianna

louieshowers 05-21-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marianna (Post 2041837)
All...

True, I have encouraged the community as a whole to keep us on our toes but while I encourage everyone to question what we do and how we do it..... I ask that before you HIT SEND, you reread your post and think " would I like to be on the receiving end of this?".

We want to encourage change and we want to continue to be responsive BUT if you keep hitting us over the head with the same negative message - human nature is to tune it out.

Remember - It isnt what you say - but how you say it that will likely get traction internally. I have always suggested you tell us what needs to change then offer solutions that we might consider. Just critiquing over and over without offering any suggestions or solutions isn't going to work.

You always get more flies with honey.....

:)

Marianna

I agree with everything in your post....I was just responding to a couple of other users taking shots at me. I have been laying really low around here since we have spoken and I intend to continue to do so and allow things to transpire naturally. I have offered my suggestions, and unless provoked by a new chain of events, or by another user antagonizing me, you will not hear much from me on here. (other than helping someone figure out an issue they are having with their system).

As I said before, I love Pro tools! In fact, it´s time for a session. Good night all.

P,B,S 05-22-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marianna (Post 2041837)
All...

encourage everyone to question what we do and how we do it..... I ask that before you HIT SEND, you reread your post and think " would I like to be on the receiving end of this?".
Marianna

I would like to say that the transmission in the vehicles everyone at avid owns will not be supported and will not work. Even though there is no good reason for it. We just decided we did not feel a dedication in anyway to a product (or customer) we sold built designed is no longer usefull to anyone.

HOW DOES IT FELL TO BE ON THE RECIEVING END AFTER ALL ITS ONLY $10,000
no reason for hard feelings infact I fully understand how a $10,000 product is worthless.