Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Best PT LE Mastering Compressor/Limiter if Waves is not available? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=284365)

GrievousAngel 10-19-2010 03:39 AM

Best PT LE Mastering Compressor/Limiter if Waves is not available?

Hello All,

If Waves plug-ins are not avilable, what LE plug-in would you recommned for smoothing out a final mix, increase the percieved loudness and placing sound image close to your 'face'? Should I buy one not included in LE? Note that these recordings will be sent to a mastering studio.

A hip-hop fan was asking me and I only have experience with Waves plug-ins such as the L2.

Thanks,

se.audio 10-19-2010 04:25 AM

Re: Best PT LE Mastering Compressor/Limiter if Waves is not available?

L2 isn't a compressor.

Waves stuff definitely isn't the greatest.

Try Cytomic The glue as your master buss compressor. One of the best plug out there...

BradLyons 10-19-2010 04:38 AM

IMHO the best is the McDSP ML4000.....absolutely an amazing plugin no matter how you use it!

albee1952 10-19-2010 05:37 AM

PSP Xenon is also worth a look:rolleyes:

GrievousAngel 10-19-2010 09:15 AM

Right elmostephane, L2 isn't a compressor, that's why my thread title was called '. . . Compressor/Limiter . . . '. It's what I call a 'Look-Ahead' limiter/leveling device + to dither or not to dither tool usually for final mixes, etc. I seriously doubt it's the best also! It's just what I had in reach usually.

I will rememberr to 'dot my eyes and cross my teeth' next time!

Take care,

RiF 10-19-2010 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrievousAngel (Post 1683167)
Note that these recordings will be sent to a mastering studio.

If the mix is going to a mastering studio anyway, I would stay away from anything on the master bus.

ondruspat 10-19-2010 03:36 PM

Might want to try the Massey L2007....

albee1952 10-19-2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiF (Post 1683491)
If the mix is going to a mastering studio anyway, I would stay away from anything on the master bus.

+1000:D Meanwhile, when I have to do it in house, I use Waves L2 after a few other plugins and followed by dither(which L2 can do, but.....). That's enough of my secrets:D In any case, ALL the mentioned products can do the job, so it really comes down to preference/skill with what's available(heck, some swear by T-racks, even though I hated it:rolleyes:)

nst7 10-19-2010 06:11 PM

You also might check out the new Slate Digital FGX. Also, Izotope Ozone.

GrievousAngel 10-20-2010 02:21 AM

Adding to this discussion:

Compressors use 'make-up' gain, pure limiters usually do not. That is a significant difference. Compressors can 'squeeze' by limiting high db levels and by boosting lower db levels, while limiters typically just limit high db levels. The 'boosting' of lower levels is made possible by using 'make-up' gain. Good compressors can do this dual action w/o many artifacts and remain musical. Yes, compressor settings with extreme ratios can create a limiter action including 'brick wall' limiting with make-up gain set at a min. value like maybe 0 db as in unity. Another setting of severe importance with brick limiting is the use of extreme fast attack and release times with a 'hard' knee transition into limiting. Again, this is in regard to brick limiting. The newer 'look-ahead' techniques of fast DSP processing has led to smarter dynamics control mechanisms.

I once foolishly tried to use a dbx 1046 quad compressor in brick-limiting fashion to help protect a venues main FOH speakers . . . well . . . the dbx was not near fast enough OR had deep enough db ratios to play a speaker protection type role. The venue still lost speaker components but it should be noted that it was the DJ nites when no FOH engineer that seem to be so brutal on speakers and not when I was running FOH with live bands! If any sine wave becomes an extended square wave due to 'flattened' sine wave(s) and becomes a DC type signal, (i.e, non-cyclical) for long time intervals, speaker voice coils will become too hot due to the ABSENCE of reverse EMF generated by the speaker's normal motor/generator action.

I use dynamic processors like compressors, limiters, gates/expanders most often in live sound situations as usually the signals are much 'wilder', etc. The problem we most likely all have with dynamics is keeping it musical and retaining the musics dynamics. That ain't always easy, at least for me.

Sorry for going somewhat off-topic.