Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   HDX - go to tracking EQs and Comps (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=380093)

propower 04-18-2016 11:57 AM

HDX - go to tracking EQs and Comps

I am mostly a tracking kind of guy lookng for nice color on record enabled tracks but also wanting low latency AAX-DSP plugins.

Have started with
AVID Channel Strip
Metric Halo Channel Strip 3

Still missing things like
Neve EQs (like Waves for instance)
SSL style channel strip
API style channel strip
Nicer versions of the Classic Compressor bundle (like Waves CLA series)

I know there is the McDsp ones (checking them out) and the Brainworx one (like the looks of the BX console but at $299 really waiting for a sale first...)

So what are others using as their go to plugs for HDX tracking?

JFreak 04-18-2016 12:45 PM

Re: HDX - go to tracking EQs and Comps

Sonnox.

Bob Olhsson 04-18-2016 12:53 PM

In the early daze of AAX I went back to my old Bomb Factory plug-ins and was surprised by how good they were. I also liked the Focusrite reds. Why oh why couldn't they have made the Avid channel strip's interface larger? It sounds really good but is such a PITA to use. The Avid Pro compressor is very good. The Brainworx console is interesting. I wasn't crazy about the Neve from Skywalker they modeled but it probably sounds the most real of any DSP strip I've heard.

Bob Olhsson 04-18-2016 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2351051)
Sonnox.

Sonnox was the first thing that went through my head too but I don't know about color other than the dynamics warmth feature.

audioluche 04-18-2016 12:56 PM

Softube comps. And Eq.
Nice for color and tone. Love the summit compressor. Demoing the eq right now, it's cool.
The Tubetech stuff is really nice too. Havent tried the Trident eq yet...

Plugin alliance has lot of cool stuff. I like the Opto comp. Maag Eq, i have to buy this one. The new comp seems like a great tone box!

Cant wait for the Distressor plugin to come out. This one should be sick!
What i miss is a really good 1176 plugin.
Softube fet is ok, but not enough vibe for my taste.

audioluche 04-18-2016 01:21 PM

No color there, but Mc Dsp AE400 is a must have. Really.

propower 04-18-2016 08:20 PM

I have been using the SoftTube Grand channel today (Acoustic Guitar and Vocals Singer Songwriter stuff). I am finding a nice vibe really quickly with this one. Went over to the MH Channel strip and went right back to the SoftTube one...

So that one is working for a quick little bit edgy sound that I like...

Will spin up the TubeTech Channel tomorrow - from my memory this one is the smother one but its been a while.

Luckily, I actually already owned these :-)

albee1952 04-18-2016 08:36 PM

I've been using Slate's VMR more and more. It covers a fair amount of what you describe, and reports zero latency on my HDN rig:D

propower 04-18-2016 10:17 PM

Very reminiscent of VMR... love the Slate ones too :-)

Rich Breen 04-19-2016 08:18 AM

Slate's not DSP.

For me, mostly Sonnox - really good stuff. McDSP stuff is solid too. Softube is one of the few doing emulations in AAX DSP.

best,
rich