Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Alan Smart C2 .....opinions ?????? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=8936)

yu121 04-14-2002 01:52 PM

Alan Smart C2 .....opinions ??????

Hi to all..

Im planning on making my next compressor purchase and just wanted to know what people think of the Alan Smart C2....

I havent had a chance to try it out yet but have heard great things about it...especially for mastering and its 'crush' mode..

I already own a focusrite D3 and Chiswick reach valve compressor and im mostly into pop and dance music...

Thx a lot guys.. ; )

Allen Yu

jackruston 04-14-2002 02:16 PM

Re: Alan Smart C2 .....opinions ??????

HI
I also have a Chiswick and have had the C2 on loan recently. They could not be more different. The C2 really 'compresses'. It has that pop type sound, and is as subtle as a concrete elephant. It is excellent at what it does, but I found personally that it was just a bit too full on for me. Try one.
Jack

yu121 04-14-2002 03:32 PM

Im actually looking for that 'pop' sound..I find the chiswick reach a bit too soft and warm for me...Its excellent for classical stuff [which i occasionally do] but when it comes to pop music..its missing that aggressive thump.

thx..

centerstage 04-14-2002 06:59 PM

I've got an ssl that the c2 is modeled after. Be a man and get it. It is the sound your looking for. Sounds like you already have some great stuff from the other side of the fence anyway.

Kenny Gioia 04-14-2002 07:39 PM

I hate to chime in, but have you tried my SSL/Channelstrip/ TC MasterX setting.

It sounds similar to the real thing and is a hell of a lot more convenient. (Recall)

Assuming you mix in Pro Tools as I do

audiaudio 04-15-2002 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by centerstage:
I've got an ssl that the c2 is modeled after. Be a man and get it.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey centerstage,

Do you mean get the SSL--or get the C2?

Andy Sneap 04-16-2002 03:01 AM

I've got the alan smart comp, absolutely love that thing. Would definately recomend it

centerstage 04-16-2002 03:22 PM

I'd say get either. I went for the ssl 384 cause thats the sounds I wanted. I hypes the mids a little. I like the slick sound it has. The C2 is based on it I believe. It can be run dual nmono and has a crush feature. I wanted a unit that I could keep on the 2 bus all the time. However I have been using it on ovrs and snr. People really love it on the drum sub but I can't use it that way. It's not practical for me. I am eager to try produceher's ssl channel strip patch. I guess you can't wrong. By the way...I have completely detroyed mixes with it as well. A little goes a long way.

mikeoxbig 04-16-2002 11:54 PM

I also have a C2 and love it. The crush button is really cool. I think I'd like to have an SSL also, C2 for overheads or guitars and the SSL for the stereo bus. I've heard that the SSL is supposed to sound a little better. I agree with centerstage that "a little goes a long way". Go for it, you'll be very glad you did.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Jules 04-17-2002 04:32 PM

No! Dont!

[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

There is this other compressor you should check out!

HAHAHAHA

Only kidding!

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]