Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   To Digi and experts-Most efficient plugin routing method(s)? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=41311)

VibeTribe 09-14-2001 07:14 PM

To Digi and experts-Most efficient plugin routing method(s)?

Hello DUC!!!
I'm a PT neophyte that has absorbed more knowledge from this web forum than is probably healthy in the last month and a half since I bought a Digi001 for my Mac. Being a very experienced and knowledgable musician/songwriter/producer, I have been humbled once again in my life by the demands and qualifications of yet another integral component of the professional music recording process. Engineering. And just like there's no short way around mastery of the piano, that also seems to apply to recording and mixing.
I simply need to know,for the moment though, what is the most efficient way to route plugins. I have many and want to be able to use them!! I have a G4 533 DP /384MB RAM, Adaptec 2930CU UltraSCCI card, GeForce 2MX card, Digi 001 card(of course,BTW what order should they be in?), AKG C3000 mic, Mackie 1202-VLZ analog mixer, Fisher mid-level stereo system, Kaysound MK-4902 midi keyboard controller, 3 sound modules, Midisport 8x8/s midi interface, Digi 001 i/o box(obviously), HarmanKardon mid-level computer speakers, 2Gig Jaz drive, and other insignificant doo-dads.
I'd also like to know how to use software synths and samplers the most efficient way possible as well. I use Unity, Retro, Koblo, B4, and some others. My 40GB hard drive is partitioned into 3 parts and my audio is directed to its exclusive part.
Thanks for having this tremendously informative forum available. I anxiously await the Digidesign upgrade that will allow use of both processors and the ability to direct plugin power to specific processors!! Thanks again,
VibeTribe

P.S. God bless and keep all of the families of the victims of the terrorist attacks on our great country.
Rest in peace for all the souls who were the victims.

billbo 09-14-2001 09:31 PM

Re: To Digi and experts-Most efficient plugin routing method(s)?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>I simply need to know,for the moment though, what is the most efficient way to route plugins.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's mostly a issue of taste IMO. There are people that swear one way is better than the other, but there's also a equal amount of people that will tell you, "no..this way is better", so, I'd say it's ultimately up to you.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> Adaptec 2930CU UltraSCCI card, GeForce 2MX card, Digi 001 card(of course,BTW what order should they be in?)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would suggest putting the Adaptec in the Top/1st slot (ie-the slot closest to the CPU)-> the 001->GeForce (is this a AGP or PCI graphix card???)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>I'd also like to know how to use software synths and samplers the most efficient way possible as well. I use Unity, Retro, Koblo, B4, and some others.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will leave that one up to the Synth experts, as I readily admit I don't have any of those synth's you mentioned (I pretty much just input live, recorded audio->digital->CD), so I won't give you any misinformation.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>My 40GB hard drive is partitioned into 3 parts and my audio is directed to its exclusive part.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is this a SCSI drive connected to the 2930, or is it the ATA drive that came with your Mac?

If you've read these forums for long enough (and the Digi PDF-manual), then you should know that you need to have a dedicated audio drive (you only mentioned the 40GB, partitioned into 3)

Well, welcome aboard.
If you have more questions, then you know where to go!

Good Luck

Mr T 09-15-2001 03:15 AM

Basically there are three ways of using plug ins: by putting them on a track , on an Aux Input (bus) or on the master fader.
Basically (again), I place on tracks the plugs I only intend to use on one track (region) because of the specificity of the plug (GRM tools, particular EQ, dedicated reverb, crazy flang. ...).
I use Aux Input or master fader to place "general" plugs such as reverbs, compression, limiter, general Eq...when I intend to route different tracks to the bus or have all the tracks going through the plug (master fader).
As posted above ,there is no "only" efficient way of using plugs, it depends on how you intend to use them.
Hope that helps.

VibeTribe 09-16-2001 04:17 AM

Let's see, the GeForce 2 MX card is AGP and the SCCI card is connected to the 2GB Ext. Jaz drive. I only have the 40 GB ATA that came with my G4. Do I HAVE to have a SCCI drive to record audio on to??? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

who 09-16-2001 09:17 AM

If I were in your situation I would just get another IDE drive; probably an IBM deskstar (I think that is the model name). SCSI is too expensive and the current IDE drives seem to have plenty of power.

Good luck