Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Put in a bunch of hours last night on a session and now it won't open! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=398075)

Burstbucker 03-20-2018 05:08 AM

Put in a bunch of hours last night on a session and now it won't open!

I put a lot of time last night on a tune that I've been working on for months now and I just put the final touches on it and saved it. Excellent! Right?

Well this morning it just hangs there when it's "restoring tracks". Aargh.........

It always seems to get finicky at the very end, after all that work.

I searched for this problem and it could be a plug-in problem but I always use the same plug-ins and they don't usually cause me any problems. I know that I added a bunch more automation to my session last night, I wonder if that's part of the problem.

When the tracks are being restored it pretty much gets all the way to the last track and then just hangs there doing nothing.

I will try again tonight after work. My buddy was going to come over and help with the final mix down but we will probably spend the night just trying to get this darn thing to open.

It's times like these that make me question why I bothered getting into home recording.

Sorry for the rant.

Burstbucker 03-20-2018 05:29 AM

Re: Put in a bunch of hours last night on a session and now it won't open!

I have earlier versions of this session from a week ago that open up just fine, the same plug-ins and everything but over the last few days I have added a few more tracks with extra automation, etc..... And before I saved this session last night I played it back many times over and it worked perfectly.

I'm going to try plugging my iLok into a different port and if that doesn't work I will try opening the session with the plug-ins disabled.

I hope I can retrieve what I did last night, I could live without this kind of hassle really.

musicman691 03-20-2018 05:36 AM

Is the session on your spinner or ssd? Try it on the ssd and see what happens. I'm wondering if the data path is getting clogged somehow and the spinner can't get data to the rest of the system fast enough?

amagras 03-20-2018 05:36 AM

If none of that works you can always import session data to a blank session but opening with the plugins inactive should work. Good luck!

Burstbucker 03-20-2018 05:50 AM

A big thank you for the replies guys!

I have my sessions stored on a 1TB spinner drive and Pro Tools and all plug-ins are located on a SSD which is my C drive.

musicman691 03-20-2018 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burstbucker (Post 2481153)
A big thank you for the replies guys!

I have my sessions stored on a 1TB spinner drive and Pro Tools and all plug-ins are located on a SSD which is my C drive.

Try moving the problem session to the ssd. If it still barfs then I'd say the session somehow got corrupted.

Burstbucker 03-20-2018 06:22 AM

Yeah I will try moving it to the SSD if nothing else works but I was told before that it's better to have the sound files and PT on separate drives.

Maybe I'll need to invest in another SSD for my sound files?

I was hoping that the 1 TB spinner drive would be good enough.

Burstbucker 03-20-2018 06:25 AM

And if the session somehow did get corrupted, how would I go about uncorrupting it? If that's even possible.

Instead of moving it to the SSD could I send a copy of it to the SSD?

Raoul23 03-20-2018 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amagras (Post 2481149)
If none of that works you can always import session data to a blank session but opening with the plugins inactive should work. Good luck!

Have you tried this^^^^^

This has saved me many of times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burstbucker 03-20-2018 07:27 AM

No I have never tried importing session data into a new session. But it kind of looks like I might have to learn how to do that.

I'm no genius when it comes to computers so everyday presents a new challenge. I wish that it could be easier. Sort of takes all the fun out of it.