Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Devaluation of Music (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405535)

DonaldM 07-06-2019 07:11 PM

The Devaluation of Music

A friend of mine posted this article on Facebook. I thought the author made some valid points, especially about the low payouts from streaming services.

Would be interested to hear what you all think.

EdwardWilliam 07-06-2019 09:07 PM

Re: The Devaluation of Music

Havighurst wrote of something I’d heard for years. The justification for music in schools is that it benefits the other (more important) academic areas. His simple, but brilliant response is that the purpose of music in education is to make students more musical.

Now why didn’t I think of that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

musicman691 07-07-2019 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldM (Post 2532123)
A friend of mine posted this article on Facebook. I thought the author made some valid points, especially about the low payouts from streaming services.

Wish I could read it but I'd have to sign up with Medium. Never heard of that - what is it?

DonaldM 07-07-2019 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2532152)
Wish I could read it but I'd have to sign up with Medium. Never heard of that - what is it?

That's odd. I'm not a member and I had no trouble reading off my friend's link.

Anyway, to answer your question, Medium is a subscription news/opinion/information service with a broad range of topics of interests. Its kind of like a huge online magazine of everything. My wife, who is a Professor of Communication at a nearby University, loves it.

tetonica 07-07-2019 05:48 AM

Quote:

A friend of mine posted this article on Facebook.

Love the article, lots of "food for thought". Thanks for sharing!

BScout 07-07-2019 12:11 PM

Medium is a thought-journal open to anyone. The whole “open access” is an easy way to get others to supply free content that can be monetized by the company behind Medium. There’s no real editing or curation and therefore a lot of garbage. They’ve been caught with their pants down with white supremacists writing under pseudonyms to bolster their own arguments and political hacks using it for viral purposes. Most of it is pseudo-intellectual discourse from people who would never get paid for their thoughts (self-aggrandizing.)

Like most things on the internet, buyer beware. Don’t trust the names or accreditations given unless you have absolute certainty about the individual.

Southsidemusic 07-07-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Thanks a lot for the link Donald :-)

Very interesting read snd the follow-up article was even slightly better imho of course.

I might disagree in not calling what I make a super nice living off of for "music" buy a really great read and certainly stirs up some thoughts hehe

Darryl Ramm 07-07-2019 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2532152)

Jack. Have a close look again, most of the membership-wall notices by Medium have the appearance of being a hard wall but you can just dismiss them by clicking on the (X) usually not so obvious in the top right of the pop-up window.

It's part of the crap that is Medium that annoys me, and I thought BScout's write up was pretty good. Its not uncommon for technology industry folks, and investors etc. to want to post there today thinking they will get audience leverage, it's largely a fallacy (e.g. better to put effort into better content on their own company website blogs, social media, and SEO efforts, etc.).

Southsidemusic 07-07-2019 01:49 PM

Watched on ipad with safari and I didn't need to check anything. Tried on Chrome and Firefox iOS and same there.

amagras 07-07-2019 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwardWilliam (Post 2532129)
Havighurst wrote of something I’d heard for years. The justification for music in schools is that it benefits the other (more important) academic areas. His simple, but brilliant response is that the purpose of music in education is to make students more musical.

Now why didn’t I think of that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't remember when was the last time I read something more beautiful than this. Thanks for sharing!

@donaldm, I will read for sure as soon as I have a 5. Thanks!