Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   AAX Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Some clean multichannel eq plugin? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=414932)

Danny_79 04-12-2021 09:03 AM

Some clean multichannel eq plugin?

I'm looking for a "clean" eq plugin(one that doesn't colour the sound sort of), that can process left and right channel separately and also process both summed together. Preferably aax plugin. The goal is to compensate for my rooms acoustics. I would want to have it on the master to remove it before bounce. I have a mesurement microphone and all...anyone know of any good plugin for this? Due to some technical reasons, i can't use sonarworks reference 4. Reason is, my speakers arn't far away enough from each other. And reference 4 demands them to be at a certain distance to do the process. My desk isn't big enough, and if i bought a bigger desk, i would have to remove my TV, cause my room is a bit small. With all this in mind, i know i can't get a flat listening environment, but i wanna get as close as possible.

Thanx in advance!

crizdee 04-12-2021 10:42 AM

Re: Some clean multichannel eq plugin?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny_79 (Post 2599209)
I'm looking for a "clean" eq plugin(one that doesn't colour the sound sort of), that can process left and right channel separately and also process both summed together. Preferably aax plugin. The goal is to compensate for my rooms acoustics. I would want to have it on the master to remove it before bounce. I have a mesurement microphone and all...anyone know of any good plugin for this? Due to some technical reasons, i can't use sonarworks reference 4. Reason is, my speakers arn't far away enough from each other. And reference 4 demands them to be at a certain distance to do the process. My desk isn't big enough, and if i bought a bigger desk, i would have to remove my TV, cause my room is a bit small. With all this in mind, i know i can't get a flat listening environment, but i wanna get as close as possible.

Thanx in advance!

Hi,

You could go with the waves graphic...

https://www.waves.com/plugins/geq-gr...0aAl1NEALw_wcB

There's no subtittute for good acoustic treatment! do as much of that as possible before doing room EQ.

Most cheap reference mics are not very accurite you have to pay top money for a good one. This approach will do nothing for you're RT60 reflections and stereo image will still be compromised. plus you're messing with the natural sound of your monitors, so be careful how far you go.

Chris

Ben Jenssen 04-12-2021 11:20 AM

Sounds like you're in a very small room. Big rooms or small rooms, they both have resonance, both small rooms are worse I think, because in a big room you can sit close and kinda separate the direct from the room sound. In a small room it's a mess. That's my experience.

I'd never expect a "room correction" solution to work ever, but I'm old.

BScout 04-12-2021 03:47 PM

FabFilter Q in min phase.

I wouldn't go graphic eq but parametric for sure. However, sounds like you are going to have a really lackluster result due to distance. But, hey, better than nothing if things are bad.
Don't get carried away with too high Q values due to the phase shift and after 1k or so do only broad shelf eqs (it gets pretty pointless due to wavelength and head movement).

But FF Q is also useful for mixing so the plugin will be useful elsewhere.

Danny_79 04-13-2021 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crizdee (Post 2599220)
Hi,

You could go with the waves graphic...

https://www.waves.com/plugins/geq-gr...0aAl1NEALw_wcB

There's no subtittute for good acoustic treatment! do as much of that as possible before doing room EQ.

Most cheap reference mics are not very accurite you have to pay top money for a good one. This approach will do nothing for you're RT60 reflections and stereo image will still be compromised. plus you're messing with the natural sound of your monitors, so be careful how far you go.

Chris

Thanx! I'll have a look. I've done some room treatment but it's all foam, curtains, duvets, matrasses and so on....so it's probably not enough. The room is very dry, but i don't know about the lowest frequencies. There are 2 door openings without doors, so maybe they escape out of the room. Don't know. Anyway, my microphone is sonarworks XREF 20 mic, you know if that one's accurate? Not sure what RT60 means(?)

Danny_79 04-13-2021 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen (Post 2599223)
Sounds like you're in a very small room. Big rooms or small rooms, they both have resonance, both small rooms are worse I think, because in a big room you can sit close and kinda separate the direct from the room sound. In a small room it's a mess. That's my experience.

I'd never expect a "room correction" solution to work ever, but I'm old.

It's quite small but that's not all of it. It's also how the room is built. I could move some things around and have it work but it would mean some other practical problems, like getting rid of some stuffs, perhaps blocking doorways a bit, etc.

JFreak 04-13-2021 10:21 AM

My suggestion for non-coloring EQ would be Sonnox EQ

Danny_79 04-13-2021 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BScout (Post 2599259)
FabFilter Q in min phase.

I wouldn't go graphic eq but parametric for sure. However, sounds like you are going to have a really lackluster result due to distance. But, hey, better than nothing if things are bad.
Don't get carried away with too high Q values due to the phase shift and after 1k or so do only broad shelf eqs (it gets pretty pointless due to wavelength and head movement).

But FF Q is also useful for mixing so the plugin will be useful elsewhere.

Cheers man! Every tip is useful here. I'm sitting very close to the monitors cause of the distance. I do get quite a good stereo image tho.

matchmix 04-18-2021 10:58 PM

Fab Filter or Sonnox for that

albee1952 04-19-2021 02:06 PM

Weighing in:
I would NOT use a graphic EQ unless its all digital and specifically does NOT emulate an analog graphic. The reason being that analog graphics introduce lots of phase shift for every slider that is not set to -0(it might be possible for a plugin to be done with linear phase, but I am not aware of one).

Fabfilter in its linear phase mode should be a good choice(do remember to bypass it whenever you bounce out a mix).

For any EQ to work well in this application, you need some way to do accurate measurement. SMAART Live or Spectrafoo, along with a decent measurement mic would do the job pretty well(user experience/skill making a big difference).

The lowly EQ III 7 band can do a decent job(the measurement process probably makes more difference than the brand of parametric EQ).

Speaking from my own experience, system tuning CAN make a serious improvement if done right(of course, badly done and all bets are off:o). My first commercial room was small(at 12'x14') and even with lots of trapping and wall panels(all Owens Corning 703), I had a huge null at the mix chair at 50Hz(on the couch behind me was close to perfect). Adding a sub made a very modest improvement, but adding a digital EQ on the way to the sub, and tuning it with SMAART Live, I was able to get the mix position nearly perfect. Keep in mind that this tuning is going to help in 1 spot in the room, and NOT the entire room. If I had a producer on the couch, the sub stayed off so he got the "good" seat:D