Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Used S1 / S3 / dock / artist (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=407749)

Undead Goat 12-22-2019 01:27 PM

Used S1 / S3 / dock / artist

sup squad fam

im considering a hardware eucon mixer for Pro Tools. But I like to buy used whenever it makes sense.

Knowing avid, they probably have some hidden drivers that they only give you if you buy directly from them, or some other such nonsense.

that's why im asking you, just to be on the safe side, if i want to go ahead and plan it smart. because the last thing i want is to get a good deal for a used mixer only for it to not work properly because avid likes to make things as difficult as possible for some reason.

did any of you get any of these used? are there hidden restrictions for getting it used vs new? or is it pretty safe to get them used?

its2loud 12-22-2019 01:36 PM

Re: Used S1 / S3 / dock / artist

Bought used Artist Mixes years ago. Transfer went fine. No issues downloading Eucon. Just need to coordinate between you and the seller to contact Avid for support release. Good luck finding used S1’s. They’re barely new at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Undead Goat 12-22-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by its2loud (Post 2548693)
Just need to coordinate between you and the seller to contact Avid for support release.

this seems to be what i want to know more about. what is eucon support release? should i be worried or is it just warranty stuff?

does the s3 have other requirements than the artist mix or is the drivers relatively the same

Southsidemusic 12-22-2019 02:13 PM

They are all eucon devices and have no clue what you are worried about. Own a Eucon device and you will have access to the eucon software.

Use google to read up on the eucon software and drivers. Nothing hidden here.

Dunno what a ”support release” is as we bought and sold Artist series and S3’s and own a used Dock so you dont have to contact Avid about anything since hardware is not registered in your Avid account anymore like the old TDM stuff was 10-15 years ago. Just buy what you need and download the correct eucon for that device and your OS.

BScout 12-22-2019 02:14 PM

You don't need to do transfers anymore (only in the early days did you need to in order to get access to Eucontrol.)

Eucon/Eucontrol is freely downloadable. You can get it now if you want.
Warranties have very, very limited periods for Avid so by the time you buy a used Avid Eucon controller, it'll have expired.

No point transferring ownership through Avid. (there are no iLok assets, etc, connected)

Undead Goat 12-22-2019 04:23 PM

Thank you much for the clarification. Just wanted to make sure there were no hidden fees or gotchas like there used to be

i attempted to upgrade to a used pthd rig and that came with my fair share of hoops to jump through to get everything under control so figured it was worth asking this time around

globaleric 12-23-2019 12:29 AM

I bought my MC Transport used, so I can also confirm that there are no gotchas.

Just check your Avid account - under your products and subscriptions you should already find a "Avid Control and EuControl" section with a Download link. In case there's no such section (I'm just not sure anymore whether mine was "always there" or something triggered it to appear) then simply download the free Avid Control app on a tablet or smartphone, and register it from within the app when launching it for the 1st time. That would definitely do the trick, and you might find the app useful, even as standalone.

Finally, after getting the used hardware and connecting it for the first time, make sure to check by selecting it from the Surfaces tab of EuControl whether it's requiring a firmware update and download/install it from there if necessary.