Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   AAX Plug-ins (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Reason, Reaper and AAX (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=339263)

DonaldM 05-27-2013 09:49 AM

Reason, Reaper and AAX

I'm a bit confused on the relationship between Reason and PT and Reaper and PT with respect to AAX. I use both Reason and Reaper on instrument tracks in PTs and use the Rewire feature in each to route audio back to audio or aux tracks in PT for mixing. It all works just fine and everyone plays nicely with each other...usually.

What I'm unclear about is that I can't seem to locate any info that says that Reason is RTAS or AAX compatible. Same for Reaper. Currently I am using the 32bit versions of both with PT10. Will both work okay with the 64bit versions with PT11? I'm not seeing direct info on that. I've searched both the Propellerhead website and Reaper, but either I'm not looking in the right place or using the wrong search terms.

So, will my Reason 7 and Reaper 4.4 still work on an instrument track in PT 11 as now? From what I can tell, PT doesn't treat Reason and Reaper with Rewire as an RTAS or now AAX plug-in...is that correct?

YYR123 05-27-2013 11:26 AM

Re: Reason, Reaper and AAX

I suppose we should be seeing a AAX version of rewire when PT11 drops

Top Jimmy 05-27-2013 12:56 PM

Rewire is neither RTAS nor AAX. It is not a plugin, but a virtual audio/MIDI interconnection protocol that allows the passing of data between two hosts, one acting as the mixer and the other as the instrument.

Buttdialed by me & Tapatalk

musicman691 05-28-2013 04:06 AM

And before anyone asks Rewire is now 64 bit (actually has been for a while now). So that's one hurdle we won't have to worry about.

DonaldM 05-28-2013 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy (Post 2043293)
Rewire is neither RTAS nor AAX. It is not a plugin, but a virtual audio/MIDI interconnection protocol that allows the passing of data between two hosts, one acting as the mixer and the other as the instrument.

So does that mean that neither Reason nor Reaper need to be AAX then? Or, to put it another way, is it correct to say that PT doesn't see either of them as a plug-in even though they sit on an instrument track, but rather treats them both as Rewire hosts?

And speaking of Rewire - I've wondered for a long time why Rewire only runs 1 way. Why can't audio and/or MIDI data be sent both to and from the Rewire host? I've never understood that restriction.

Top Jimmy 05-28-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldM (Post 2043451)
So does that mean that neither Reason nor Reaper need to be AAX then? Or, to put it another way, is it correct to say that PT doesn't see either of them as a plug-in even though they sit on an instrument track, but rather treats them both as Rewire hosts?

That is correct.

Quote:

And speaking of Rewire - I've wondered for a long time why Rewire only runs 1 way. Why can't audio and/or MIDI data be sent both to and from the Rewire host? I've never understood that restriction.
The restriction exists because Rewire devices come in two types, mixer and instrument. When you load Reason or Reaper in Pro Tools, PT is the mixer and the others are instruments. Hence the directions of signal flow.

musicman691 05-28-2013 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy (Post 2043494)
The restriction exists because Rewire devices come in two types, mixer and instrument. When you load Reason or Reaper in Pro Tools, PT is the mixer and the others are instruments. Hence the directions of signal flow.

More properly called master and slave although I like your terms better. But remember that Rewire slaves can contain instruments that go into the slave's mixer.

Top Jimmy 05-28-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2043495)
More properly called master and slave...

Hmmmm... Well, Propellerhead doesn't call them that. Technically, it's mixer and device, not instrument.

DonaldM 05-28-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy (Post 2043494)
That is correct.

Thank you for that explanation. Still, would be nice if it could be opened up so signal could be routed either way. There are times I wish I could send an audio signal TO Reason to use something like their Alligator or Pulverizer effect and then send it back to PT for the mix. Instead I have to export the audio clip from PT and reimport to Reason to add the effect I want. But at least I can use Rewire then to route the processed signal back into the PT mix. Oh well. Still a great thing!

Top Jimmy 05-28-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonaldM (Post 2043538)
Instead I have to export the audio clip from PT and reimport to Reason to add the effect I want. But at least I can use Rewire then to route the processed signal back into the PT mix. Oh well. Still a great thing!

That's a trick that goes way back. When needing more tracks in early PT-LE, Rewire from Live Lite back to PT got more tracks in the mix.