Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Mbox 2 hum and computer data sounds ? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=214411)

Pentium 01-22-2008 12:01 PM

Mbox 2 hum and computer data sounds ?

Hi there, I have been working with my Mbox 2 with headphones for the last few months.
I now plug in 2 TRS balanced jacks into the mon outs and connect to a XLR balanced
input Amplifier.

The Mbox hums a lot, I can hear computer data (like a fax machine) whistling in time with the
booting of PT LE 7.3 and it is constant once the programme has booted and a session is open.
This is obviously not right as it is awful and makes a mockery of the Mbox 2 audio specs.

When I move faders and process controls the hum dissapears and then reappears when released.

Why is it doing this and how can I resolves it?

I can buy a soundcard for £50.00 and it does not hum with unbalanced outputs, why
does M box 2 hum?

I am running Windows XP pro, PTLE7.3 and no other USB devices attached to the system.

Thanks

Pentium 01-22-2008 12:16 PM

Re: Mbox 2 hum and computer data sounds ?

Interesting (one word for it), seems many other people have exactly the same problem.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...-familiar.html

I would like the official line from a digidesign representative please.

£300.00 for a unusuably loud humming sound.

I am very dissapointed.

Pentium 01-22-2008 12:23 PM

Just tried a differnt USB2.0 lead and no difference
humming still there.

I try a different computer now.

Pentium 01-22-2008 12:34 PM

Same again humming, what shall I do next?

Any ideas?

Thanks

JMS40 01-22-2008 12:37 PM

Quote:

I would like the official line from a digidesign representative please.

Not that it's definitive or the end-all statement, but I guess you could call this the "official line" ... From the General Troubleshooting sticky at the top of this forum:

Quote:

If you're experiencing noise from the Mbox II, there are several things to try:

- Make sure you're using balanced cables on all balanced inputs and outputs. Remember that the Mbox 2 outputs are unbalanced, and should use unbalanced connections.
- Try using a power conditioner for all your electronic gear (Furman, Monster).
- Run your outputs directly to shielded monitors and not through a mixer to see if the noise goes away.
- Some noise complaints arise from noisy power supply units inside computers - try installing and running on another computer (or if you're using a laptop, unplug the power supply and run off of batteries to see if noise goes away). Moving the Mbox II in relation to your monitor, computer or speakers may also lessen the noise.
- Unplug and turn off all unnecessary gear and run only the computer, the Mbox II, and monitors.
- Listen through headphones to determine if the noise is isolated to a particular output.
- Make sure you're not running through a USB hub or other device - the Mbox II always needs to be plugged directly into the computer.
- Try all USB ports on the computer to see if the noise lessens.
- Trace your cable path for long cable runs, and isolate your cables from possible interference (other gear, florescent lighting, CRT monitors, etc).

Lastly, if you feel a repair is necessary, please contact Digidesign Tech Support to set up an RA.

Pentium 01-24-2008 02:27 AM

Unbalanced leads make no difference at all.

I tried to connect a mini jack to 2 TS jacks to the
headphone socket where there is normally no hum and connect this to my power amp
and low and behold it hums and as noisy as hell.

It seems to be when you connect Mbox 2 to another device
that the problem appears. In addition the noise dissapears when
the computer is processing ie moving an EQ parameter.

All my mains is on RF / surge protected strips, never heard anything like this through
any other audio device. And I have a TAGAN PSU which a high end server device. (cost nearly £100.00)

This seriously sucks.

How do you about getting a new Mbox from Digideisgn
I am U.K. based.

Thanks, sorry for ranting a bit but I am sure you can understand
my frustration that the Mbox 2 cannot meet the audio specs of a
consumer cassette deck never mind use for prosumer audio purposes.
It's am embarrassment I could never have such a device in front
of clients.

DigiTechSupt 01-28-2008 09:38 AM

Quote:

Unbalanced leads make no difference at all.

I tried to connect a mini jack to 2 TS jacks to the
headphone socket where there is normally no hum and connect this to my power amp
and low and behold it hums and as noisy as hell.

that the problem appears. In addition the noise dissapears when
the computer is processing ie moving an EQ parameter.

All my mains is on RF / surge protected strips, never heard anything like this through
any other audio device. And I have a TAGAN PSU which a high end server device. (cost nearly £100.00)

This seriously sucks.

How do you about getting a new Mbox from Digideisgn
I am U.K. based.

Thanks, sorry for ranting a bit but I am sure you can understand
my frustration that the Mbox 2 cannot meet the audio specs of a
consumer cassette deck never mind use for prosumer audio purposes.
It's am embarrassment I could never have such a device in front
of clients.

Have you tested the Mbox 2 on another computer, just to be sure it's not something about your system causing the problem?

In very few cases has this actually turned out to be a defective Mbox. The 'computer noise' is almost always a surefire sign that the problem is with the computer. Unfortunately we cannot control how well computers are built or designed and, unfortunately, some of them suffer from excessive noise being put down their firewire or USB busses.

fancy_terry 02-01-2008 10:32 AM

Learn to love it. That's my advice boss. There's something wonky with the buffering (or something like that) in the USB portion of the Mbox. My Mbox 2 at home does it and there are three Pro Tools rigs I have to use at work which all do it to a greater or lesser extent.

Petander 02-01-2008 10:45 AM

Quote:

that the problem appears.

A ground loop?

No hum or noise probs with a few MBox2:s up here.

The Weed 02-01-2008 06:13 PM

It's too cold up there right now to hum