Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Automatic Delay Compensation not working like it should (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=252400)

Edgur 08-18-2009 10:58 AM

Automatic Delay Compensation not working like it should

We have recorded a piano track, and inserted a pitch shifter plugin that adjust pitch and timbre in real-time..... unfortunately it is delaying our track by just over 7000 samples. Now, the automatic delay compensation in the playback window has 3 settings: OFF, Short, and Long. I think short says 1024 samples and long says 4024 samples?? something like that. Anyways, we set it on LONG and the track was still very much off from the rest of the song. I don't understand......does LONG mean that the delay you are getting has to be around 4000 samples for it to work?? I've read in the pro Tools manual that setting this to ON (meaning setting it to short or long?) will compensate for all delay, but it doesn't say much more than that......and it doesn't seem to be compensating our delay of about 7000 samples. Will we have to fix this manually??

Thank you!!

blackmacdaddy 08-18-2009 11:17 AM

Re: Automatic Delay Compensation not working like it should

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edgur (Post 1443460)
...about 7000 samples. Will we have to fix this manually??

Thank you!!

Yes, you'll move it back using the Option H command. I would either:

Duplicate the track & make a note that you shifted it in comments, Deactivate & Hide the original

OR

Make a duplicate playlist & make a note in the comments that you shifted it & by how much IE Moved -7000

Best!
W

mano111 08-18-2009 11:38 AM

Long is maximum 4095 samples. So 7000 is obviously too much for PT's ADC.

I recommend print the track (send to buss and record that buss to an audio track) then nudge the printed track -7000 samples then right click + hide and make inactive on the original track.

Edgur 08-18-2009 02:43 PM

Excellent! I will do that. Thank you.

crizdee 08-18-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edgur (Post 1443646)
Excellent! I will do that. Thank you.

whats your hardware buffer set to? you could lower the setting and reduce the latency on the track. it might be enough or do as suggested, move the track back and deactivate ADC on that track only. command control+ click on the adc number.

Edgur 08-18-2009 03:56 PM

That brings up another question.....

I have got other tracks in the session that are delayed by about 100 samples or so.....those of which can be fixed by ADC. If I move my heavily delayed track so it fits, and keep the ADC on for the other tracks, will my track that I manually moved to the right spot be effected?? Can you apply ADC to certain tracks? If so how?

Thank you.

Edgur 08-18-2009 07:50 PM

Also,
What are the pros and cons to using short ADC VS. Long ADC as far as saving processing resources....?? Why not just leave it on long if that is that max sample size that it will work?

Thanks Again!!

crizdee 08-19-2009 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edgur (Post 1443700)
That brings up another question.....

I have got other tracks in the session that are delayed by about 100 samples or so.....those of which can be fixed by ADC. If I move my heavily delayed track so it fits, and keep the ADC on for the other tracks, will my track that I manually moved to the right spot be effected?? Can you apply ADC to certain tracks? If so how?

Thank you.

You only turn delay comp off for the tracks you move! that would be tracks with delay over 4095, the rest of the tracks that are under 4095 will be compensated for.

to turn the delay comp off on a track, you use "command+control+click" on the red number reading on the track you move.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edgur (Post 1443843)
Also,
What are the pros and cons to using short ADC VS. Long ADC as far as saving processing resources....?? Why not just leave it on long if that is that max sample size that it will work?

Thanks Again!!

simply that! having it set to long uses more resources than short. so if you're short of DSP and using below 1000ms delay compensation then you can change it to short and re-gain some dsp on your cards.

Chris

Edgur 08-19-2009 07:25 AM

Awesome! Thank you!