Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   macOS (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Completely Frustrated! (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=399500)

mwing 05-31-2018 05:53 PM

Completely Frustrated!

It's been a while since i've used my pro tools setup, maybe a year or so. I'm so frustrated with this piece of junk because there is always some update or compatibility issue and nothing works. Anyway, i'm looking for some advice to get something stable running. Setup is this:
-2012 Macbook Pro 15", 1TB SSD, 8GB RAM, 2.6GHz i7, OSX 10.13.3
-Pro Tools 12.5.1
-Digi002 Rack
-Presonus Digimax LT

Yes, i know the HW is old. I bought it some time ago and have had some good use out of it. Used to be setup with an older PowerMac G5. Anyway, i'm looking for advice on the best route to go with all this equipment i have. I would rather not invest a ton more money into this as it's only used as a hobby at this point. Should I get another SSD and load another OS on it and use it solely for Pro Tools? I've been out of the pro-tools loop for some time and looking for any advice on what to do? Thanks!

-Mitch

BScout 05-31-2018 06:16 PM

Re: Completely Frustrated!

Point 1) 12.5.1 is not supported on 10.13.3
Point 2) Not enough RAM

But seriously go to point 1 and read that again. Avid has been absolutely clear about that. Keep your old OS if you want to use an old version of Pro Tools. It's pretty simple.

zerodistraction 06-02-2018 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwing (Post 2490071)
It's been a while since i've used my pro tools setup, maybe a year or so. I'm so frustrated with this piece of junk because there is always some update or compatibility issue and nothing works. Anyway, i'm looking for some advice to get something stable running. Setup is this:

-2012 Macbook Pro 15", 1TB SSD, 8GB RAM, 2.6GHz i7, OSX 10.13.3

-Pro Tools 12.5.1

-Digi002 Rack

-Presonus Digimax LT

Yes, i know the HW is old. I bought it some time ago and have had some good use out of it. Used to be setup with an older PowerMac G5. Anyway, i'm looking for advice on the best route to go with all this equipment i have. I would rather not invest a ton more money into this as it's only used as a hobby at this point. Should I get another SSD and load another OS on it and use it solely for Pro Tools? I've been out of the pro-tools loop for some time and looking for any advice on what to do? Thanks!

-Mitch

If you don’t have access to an older operating system, let me know. I can send you a link to a a version that’s compatible with 12.5.1. Or, you could renew your perpetual licence or just go on the month to month subscription so you can get the latest 2018 version that works on High Sierra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mwing 06-05-2018 06:14 PM

Thanks for the input guys. So, I decided to just purchase a 2nd SSD and dedicate it to only pro tools. Also, upgrading to 16GB of RAM. This will pretty much max out the machine I have for now. I don't feel like dealing with all the licensing and constant update BS honestly. So, that being said, the latest version and last version of Pro Tools i plan on running is 12.5.1. What is the most stable OS to run with this? I have read that people had issues with El Capitan. Should I go back prior to that?

JuelzB 06-06-2018 12:06 AM

If memory serves me well, i was a long time on 10.10.5 and PT 12.4/12.5 with a good experience.

mwing 06-06-2018 05:47 PM

I decided to load Yosemite 10.10.5, and seems to be running good so far. However, I seem to be having trouble with the 002r losing comm and also i'm no longer able to sync it with an external clock source. I'm guessing it's probably a driver issue. I installed the latest "legacy" drivers, it recognizes it just fine and will seem to work but will intermittently lose connection. Any advice here?

TOM@METRO 06-06-2018 07:05 PM

First of course, check all of your cables.

Be careful though. Do not hot swap anything firewire. The firewire ports on 002 are subject to burnout if all power is not shut down prior to cables being connected/disconnected.

mwing 06-06-2018 07:09 PM

I have done some hot swapping in the past, i wonder if something might have gotten damaged. Would it work at all if the firewire port was fried?

TOM@METRO 06-07-2018 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwing (Post 2490719)
I have done some hot swapping in the past, i wonder if something might have gotten damaged. Would it work at all if the firewire port was fried?

Usually not, but I would guess anything is possible. There is also the old issue of the internal power supply harness becoming intermittent. You can do a search for this and attempt to clean or replace the harness connectors.

mwing 06-07-2018 06:56 PM

So, I've been messing around with things tonight. I had a session running pretty decent for a bit. After about 15 min or so I get the dreaded AAE-6086 buffer under run error. I have my buffer set as high as it can go and it won't even play for 5 sec without crashing. I have everything compatible as far as i know with clean installs on a dedicated SSD. The only thing now that's way outdated is my DIGI002r, could this be the major bottleneck in the setup? I would rather not buy some more HW but if that is the only option I guess I have to. Would a used 003r be a decent stable upgrade to the 002r?