Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2019 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   All I want for xmas is a drum grid (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=407149)

FroTools12 11-14-2019 10:33 AM

All I want for xmas is a drum grid

Hi. On the short list of much needed additions to pro tools is drum grid midi editing. Would Love to name the keys with their samples and get rid of unused ones.

I'm sure lots of people are as anxious for this as me, and this would help knock out some competition as far as programming goes.

Thanks. Fro.

FroTools12 11-14-2019 10:41 AM

Re: All I want for xmas is a drum grid

Actually occurred to me now: when you edit, say the midi event list, it'd show the sample names

massivekerry 11-14-2019 12:29 PM

I mean, it'd be nice. But since every drum VI I use seems to have different mapping formats now... and even the Battery kits are somewhat of a mystery.

ibbod0 11-14-2019 10:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
you can kind of fake it in the edit window by having a separate midi track for each sample. just set the track view to notes or velocity, with the track height set to single note. it's a bit too much messing around to be worthwhile doing though.

FroTools12 11-15-2019 05:58 AM

Yeah no. Separating only makes more challenges. I'm using superior drummer 3. The editor in that is clear afa note names but really fiddly in every other respect 😥

There are of course daws that are better for this but I'm really committed to doing it all in protools.

Would also appreciate the ability to loop around adding to the beat, with a way to hold say, the delete key and wipe mistakes out

QuikDraw 11-15-2019 07:51 AM

Ever try Studio One? I use its drum grid all the time. I use Pro Tools less and less these days.

Flyingrockstudios 11-15-2019 08:00 AM

As a drummer and fellow committed Pro Tools users, I am totally with you on this! But MIDI in general seems to be very far down on the priority list. I want to be be able to comp together MIDI tracks like audio tracks using the playlist function, but it can’t do that either. If the drummer is in the background physically and symbolically in a band, that’s nothing compared what seems to be the pecking order for us with Avid! Good luck!

colliderman 11-20-2019 05:17 AM

The first time I used Pro Tools 15 years ago I couldn't believe there wasn't a drum editor. Some things never change!

The SD3 drum editor is great, but I find not being able to use protools key commands while in it makes it too clunky to use.

The Studio One drum editor is by far the best out there, but no matter how many times I try to switch I keep coming back to Pro Tools :rolleyes:

FroTools12 12-03-2019 05:53 AM

Oh well. Here's my concern. I have 2019.6 and I'm considering getting off the subscription treadmill. If I buy it will pay for itself in 2 years. I'm just hesitant, fearing that the moment after my payment goes through they roll out 2020 and the midi is fantastic 😆

nedorama 12-03-2019 08:02 AM

given all of the other issues on the plate, I doubt better MIDI is high on the list, and certainly wasn't listed high if at all on their roadmap IIRC.