Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Tips & Tricks (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Waves Renaissance Plugins (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=389800)

Augusta Global 03-20-2017 07:46 AM

The Waves Renaissance Plugins

Hello,

I have used the Waves Renaissance plugins since about 2003 and I still use these plugins till this day.

Renaissance Comp
Renaissance EQ

Started using the Renaissance Vox later than the previous 2.

I was a little ashamed to admit I still use these same old plugins since they are not the "latest and greatest". I was just watching a YouTube video and the producer was talking about still using the Renaissance Plugs after all these years so it made me wonder...

Anyone still using these on a regular basis as their go to plugins?

Tony

VRW 03-20-2017 10:22 AM

Re: The Waves Renaissance Plugins

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augusta Global (Post 2419693)
Hello,

I have used the Waves Renaissance plugins since about 2003 and I still use these plugins till this day.

Renaissance Comp
Renaissance EQ

Started using the Renaissance Vox later than the previous 2.

I was a little ashamed to admit I still use these same old plugins since they are not the "latest and greatest". I was just watching a YouTube video and the producer was talking about still using the Renaissance Plugs after all these years so it made me wonder...

Anyone still using these on a regular basis as their go to plugins?

Tony

There still ainīt nothing wrong with these as long as you know what you are using them for.
You probably wonīt succeed trying to use them for surgical applications yet using them to
shape material in a more musical way still will work for sure. Particularly if you make sure
the particular source suits the sound character of the particular Renaissance plugs.

Still 3 years ago for example they massively used Waves Renaissance plugs (compressor,
deesser, eq and even the reverb) on the leads and backings for JTīs 20/20 Experience as
well as for Jay-Zīs tracks. They also used MCDSP Filterbank and CompressorBank even on
the leads and on other stuff which ainīt the most current plug ins as well.

However as mentioned before if you know what you are using it for and the material does
suit the character of the Renaissance plug ins those are still useable and useful indeed as
they are very musical and smooth by default and they got a beautiful vibe.

The fact that there are so many more options available out there nowadays (compared to
when the Waves Renaissance plug ins were released once) doesnīt necessarily mean they
ainīt gonna work anymore.

Cheers.

thanos4 03-20-2017 10:44 AM

Still using REQ6 everyday...
One of my favourites:D

JFreak 03-20-2017 11:27 AM

Renaissance Compressor is still one of the most used. And the fact that Waves chose that algorithm to their hardware boxes says a lot.

albee1952 03-20-2017 03:26 PM

They get enough use here that I will never sell them. The Renn De-esser is my "go to":D

YYR123 03-20-2017 07:43 PM

The Waves Renaissance Plugins

All the above....I use them also good stuff.

My fave is the the ren bass

unkJE 03-20-2017 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2419833)
...The Renn De-esser is my "go to":D

Waves scores well in this Fab video on how various De-Essers deal with the “Esses”:

How to use a De-esser on vocals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY--yk11EF4

Looks at DIGIRACK De-esser/dbx 902 (hardware insert)/Massey DE:Esser/Waves Renaissance DeEsser (with its Range feature + Split Mode)/OXFORD SUPRESSER/Eiosis EēDeesser

The Eiosis adds an interesting "different kettle of fish" ....

Andy Gone 03-21-2017 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Augusta Global (Post 2419693)
<...>
I was a little ashamed to admit I still use these same old plugins since they are not the "latest and greatest".
<...>

Ashamed? :) Latest does not always mean greatest, as well as old does not mean bad, and I believe Waves updates them. I use them regularly too, especially RComp, RBass and RVox. RComp is awesome.

Southsidemusic 03-21-2017 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Gone (Post 2419938)
Ashamed? :) Latest does not always mean greatest, as well as old does not mean bad, and I believe Waves updates them. I use them regularly too, especially RComp, RBass and RVox. RComp is awesome.

Totally Agree !!

No need for the latest and ( not always ) greatest as you proved by still using them with satisfying results ... Something to learn here kids :-)

Augusta Global 03-21-2017 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southsidemusic (Post 2419940)
Totally Agree !!

No need for the latest and ( not always ) greatest as you proved by still using them with satisfying results ... Something to learn here kids :-)

That was my thinking for the past decade, but how many conversations go like this:

Person 1) Have you upgrading to the latest version?

Person 2) No, I'm still on X.X

Person 1) Dude, you gotta have the newest version, you can (insert feature).

Person 2) I have no need for (insert feature... let's say freezing a track), I need TDM latency.

Person 1) Good lord, you are still on that ancient technology?

Then Person 2 feels like ass/ashamed because they can't freeze a track and blah blah like the cool kids.

This all goes back to hanging with the cool kids! :D