Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Getting Started (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   How's life in ProTool-land? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=339690)

G-Sun 06-09-2013 04:13 AM

How's life in ProTool-land?

Hi!

ProTools has been an industry-standard for audio-production for a long time.

I don't have ProTools, but I'm curious if I've missed anything.

Especially, I'm curious about this forum.

I'm a Reaper-user and in our forums we have a lot of newbies, bedroomproducers and people taking their first steps. Many pros as well, but I sometimes wonder what it would be like, being on a forum with so may top producers, mixers and engineers.

So, please tell me: How's life in ProTool-land?

Geir

musicman691 06-09-2013 05:08 AM

Re: How's life in ProTool-land?

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Sun (Post 2046208)
Hi!

Especially, I'm curious about this forum.

I'm a Reaper-user and in our forums we have a lot of newbies, bedroom producers and people taking their first steps. Many pros as well, but I sometimes wonder what it would be like, being on a forum with so may top producers, mixers and engineers.

So, please tell me: How's life in ProTool-land?

Geir

We get all that and more. What's been showing up here lately are a lot of people that think PT is plug and play software and it isn't. We also seem to be getting a lot of people who can't seem to be bothered with reading the User's Guide (aka manual) or any other documentation on PT and want us to hand-hold them.

Mostly there's been a lot of traffic about PT11.

Why not give PT a try? 30 day free trial but you need an iLok. Not as cheap as Reaper if you buy PT but then again PT does a LOT more than Reaper and is worth it.

G-Sun 06-09-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2046221)
We get all that and more. What's been showing up here lately are a lot of people that think PT is plug and play software and it isn't. We also seem to be getting a lot of people who can't seem to be bothered with reading the User's Guide (aka manual) or any other documentation on PT and want us to hand-hold them.

Mostly there's been a lot of traffic about PT11.

Why not give PT a try? 30 day free trial but you need an iLok. Not as cheap as Reaper if you buy PT but then again PT does a LOT more than Reaper and is worth it.

Thanks!
Well, 677Eur, that's far out of my budget :)
Does PT support vst/i natively?
I don't have an iLok.

guatamas 06-09-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Sun (Post 2046251)
Thanks!
I don't have an iLok.

No
PT 10 supports RTAS and 32-bit AAX only
PT 11 supports AAX 64-bit only

In the past there was a vst to rtas adapter but this product is discontinued.

JFreak 06-09-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman691 (Post 2046221)
We also seem to be getting a lot of people who can't seem to be bothered with reading the User's Guide (aka manual)

Mostly because that is +1000 pages :P

No harm in asking questions, but yes, people should really try to read the most basic info by themselves. The Reference Guide answers most questions directly, and it is pdf. That said, we're here to help but please guys don't get offended if someone RTFM's at some point...

JFreak 06-09-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

I don't have an iLok.

Well just buy one, or you're restricted to PT versions older than 7.0

guatamas 06-09-2013 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2046257)
Well just buy one, or you're restricted to PT versions older than 7.0

Or get 8LE and be tied down to avid only hardware but at the same time you still don't need an ilok its only PT9 and up where ilok is required or when you purchase plugins that require an ilok.

JFreak 06-09-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guatamas (Post 2046258)
Or get 8LE and be tied down to avid only hardware but at the same time you still don't need an ilok its only PT9 and up where ilok is required or when you purchase plugins that require an ilok.

Thank you for straightning up this fact; I as HD user sometimes forget that there are tiny differences between HD and LE ;)

Top Jimmy 06-09-2013 10:02 AM

Quote:

Thanks!
I don't have an iLok.

You can find bundle deals where Pro Tools is bundled with an Mbox for less than Pro Tools' price.

Since you already have Reaper, you can use it with Pro Tools via Rewire to host the VSTIs you have that aren't yet AAX compatible.

Buttdialed by me & Tapatalk

ThunderKyss 06-09-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Most people don't understand this. They focus on the software, knowing full well "Pro-Tools" is a software component & a hardware component. Then they try to compare their hardware with Avid's... ignoring 75% of Avid's hardware capability, yeah.... your Delta 1010 is the same thing.

Neve, SSL, and all other large format consoles & a whole manner of effects & processing equipment. That's what Pro Tools has replaced.

The idea behind Pro Tools has spawned a market where the recording environment is scalable to the needs of the hobbiest/project studio. While we can build our studio to fit our needs, it still does not compare on the same scale as large production facilities.

That may be overkill for most jobs, but those are the people buying Pro Tools & making it the industry standard.
Quote:

I'm a Reaper-user

Then you know it's about work-flow.

Somethings are easier in Reaper, some things make more sense in ProTools. Some things can't be done in Pro Tools.... or Reaper. But it doesn't matter.
Quote:

and in our forums we have a lot of newbies, bedroomproducers and people taking their first steps. Many pros as well, but I sometimes wonder what it would be like, being on a forum with so may top producers, mixers and engineers.

Geir

I may have missed them, but I don't see many "top" producers or engineers visiting here. Lot's of pros, no doubt... But the guys being interviewed by SoS or EQ... not so much.