Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Blue Interfaces and PT 12 (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=364997)

jeff markham 03-02-2015 08:34 PM

Blue Interfaces and PT 12

Hi,
Anyone tried PT12 HD with the Blue Interfaces? Still work?
Thanks
Jeff

Craig F 03-02-2015 09:20 PM

Re: Blue Interfaces and PT 12

sarcasm containment engaged

OK, anyone that knows is bound by their NDA

I'll wager they'll still work

JFreak 03-02-2015 10:29 PM

Anyone who knows, mustn't say. Anyone who says, mustn't know.

Take a close look at readme files when new versions are released. Every time it says HD interfaces need a firmware update, that is a warning sign right there. As long as firmware updates are not needed, there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

lexaudio 03-02-2015 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2238086)
Anyone who knows, mustn't say. Anyone who says, mustn't know.

Take a close look at readme files when new versions are released. Every time it says HD interfaces need a firmware update, that is a warning sign right there. As long as firmware updates are not needed, there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

So basically PT 12 will bring firmware updates to the HD hardware.

mesaone 03-02-2015 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexaudio (Post 2238088)
So basically PT 12 will bring firmware updates to the HD hardware.

Link to the Pro Tools 12.0 Readme, please. That's where you got this info, right? No?

lexaudio 03-02-2015 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesaone (Post 2238089)
Link to the Pro Tools 12.0 Readme, please. That's where you got this info, right? No?

AVID announced that blue interfaces would no longer be supported in 11, but they still work, yes?

Do you not think AVID is going to start enforcing that with PT12?

Seriously. With the new plan, they are going after every avenue there is and that includes OLD hardware.

If you don't believe it, fine. Just don't whine about it when it happens.

Craig F 03-02-2015 11:19 PM

there are no Read Me files for 12 yet

that's just the wording to look out for in any Read Me regarding old Blue interfaces

JFreak 03-02-2015 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexaudio (Post 2238099)
Seriously. With the new plan, they are going after every avenue there is and that includes OLD hardware.

Seriously, cut it off.

We all remember the feelings of the user base when Avid announced there will not be new drivers for Pro Control and old C24 in PT11 but that is different, because Avid would have had to create that driver *AND* make sure there are enough spare parts for the hardware. The latter is the real reason.

Now they don't have to do a thing and the blue interfaces are (supposedly) going to keep working. They would in fact have to do extra work to make old interfaces and 3rd party reverse-engineered interfaces not working, which is what they said they won't be doing when PT11 was released. I have heard nothing that would imply they've changed their minds.

Could you please at least wait until PT12 is out and we can really try it out? Pretty please? It's so lame to worry about it now. You're like Asterix who is always fearing that sky is falling on his head -- so enough of that magic potion and wait for the release. Please.

mesaone 03-02-2015 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexaudio (Post 2238099)
If you don't believe it, fine. Just don't whine about it when it happens.

I'll believe it when I see it - posts that pull "information" out of thin air don't count. At least start with a disclaimer that says your post is unsubstantiated, just to be fair to people who are reading.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig F (Post 2238101)
there are no Read Me files for 12 yet

I was just underlining a point, since Lex was making an assertion as though he is in possession of info that no one else has :D

lexaudio 03-02-2015 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFreak (Post 2238103)
Seriously, cut it off.

We all remember the feelings of the user base when Avid announced there will not be new drivers for Pro Control and old C24 in PT11 but that is different, because Avid would have had to create that driver *AND* make sure there are enough spare parts for the hardware. The latter is the real reason.

Now they don't have to do a thing and the blue interfaces are (supposedly) going to keep working. They would in fact have to do extra work to make old interfaces and 3rd party reverse-engineered interfaces not working, which is what they said they won't be doing when PT11 was released. I have heard nothing that would imply they've changed their minds.

Could you please at least wait until PT12 is out and we can really try it out? Pretty please? It's so lame to worry about it now. You're like Asterix who is always fearing that sky is falling on his head -- so enough of that magic potion and wait for the release. Please.

Well, I understand what you are saying and maybe that isn't the case at all.

And maybe it won't happen on PT12 release, but eventually it will.
I mean a required firmware update could solve that without any reverse engineering.

Part of the reason for this is again AVID is unclear. A friend of mine wants to do an upgrade and I don't want to tell him the blue is fine if it isn't going to be.

I'll find out tomorrow. If you haven't heard anything, then cool. There are a lot of blues in the wild and you can get them pretty cheap compared to buying it new.
So it is cause for concern those who might want to get a few more Blues now when they can, but hesitate because of the "gray" area that AVID has left open.

That is where and why I am concerned.