Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Multichannel Quicktime import? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=226186)

sonicam 08-06-2008 08:11 AM

Multichannel Quicktime import?

I'm trying to import the audio from a 4 channel quicktime movie into Protools - the audio comprises a stereo main mix and a stereo M&E captured via firewire from a Digibeta.
The movie imports ok, but Protools throws errors on trying to import the audio , eg only recognising 3 channels with a sample rate of 1Hz etc..

Can anyone help? Thanks!

budster 08-06-2008 08:20 AM

Try exporting the audio in QT Pro.

Buddy

sonicam 08-06-2008 08:54 AM

Yeah, thanks but I tried that - gives exactly the same error.
Can Protools just not read multichannel Q'times?

myke2242 08-06-2008 09:13 AM

export in QT. you should be exporting split channels. you can also extract the channels one at a time if look at properties in QT Pro

sonicam 08-06-2008 09:39 AM

Can't make that work I'm afraid - can you be more specific?
Extracting from QT pro only allows you to save the 4 channel sound, not the individual tracks, even if I highlight them individually.
I can export from QT as 'Movie to QT Movie' with the sound settings as 4 discrete channels, but this exported file still confuses Protools - It sees it as 3 channels with an enormous file size.
The import dialogue box also looks scrambled as though it where trying to do two imports on top of one another...
Any other ideas? Thanks.

myke2242 08-06-2008 10:40 AM

Open QT Pro. Click on Window and select Movie Properties. You will see the elements that make up the file. Select Sound Track and then click on the Audio Settings tab. if the file is truly poly you will see all the represented channels and where they are assigned. simply highlight the channel you wish to extract and click the extract button (located left corner of the window)

sonicam 08-06-2008 12:51 PM

Thanks for your help - it seems the problem is that the captured QT contains all the audio on each track, that is, its not split into two discrete stereo tracks, the main mix and the M&E.

The Digi deck is set to output tracks 1-2-3-4 over the iDV interface, and I assumed that QT would recognise this and split the separate data streams.
It should allow me to get 16 Bit 48Khz stereo or 12 Bit 32Khz on a 4 channel stream (which is what I need)
QT doesn't seem to recognise the 4 chan 12 bit stream..

Does anybody know how to do this? Maybe its just not possible. If not its a real pain as I have to run every tape through twice and try to make sure the audio syncs afterwards.

I've tried capturing with FCP, but it defaults to 2 chan audio input and won't give me any more channels...

mikevarela 08-07-2008 10:23 AM

maybe split the video and audio from the divi into seperate qt & audio converter

sonicam 08-11-2008 03:16 AM

Thanks all, After some experimentation I've come up with the following, hope it helps others:
After capturing video and multichannel audio, QT should show a number of different audio sound tracks, (not channels) in the 'movie properties' window - if not, your capture hasn't worked properly!
For instance, capturing Digibeta material using Sony's iLink doesn't seem to work properly importing straight into QT.
Using a capture card and something like FCP does however.
Once you have this capture, to import to Protools, you need to tick the checkboxes for each sound track individually in QT and then save the movie. Then, you should be presented with a PT dialogue box with 2 audio tracks to import, one of which is disabled. Highlight only the enabled track and import. Then repeat the process (saving the QT again) for the other track.

If anyone has a quicker method - please let me know!