Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 10 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   I/O Settings have changed-No sound????? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=338137)

larsongs 04-27-2013 11:09 AM

I/O Settings have changed-No sound?????

This Pro Tools is so problematic!!!!!!

I go to my saved Projects & none of them have Sound??????

I get a, "You're I/O has changed since the last time this session was saved.Check the I/O Setups to see what has changed. Some input's were made inactive. Some outputs were made inactive. Some bus paths were made inactive becausetheir mapped output paths are unavailable. Please visit th I/O Setup dialog for more information.

OK. I go to Setup, then I/O, I don't see anything different??? I click Default. Now I got no Tracks listed in window. I try to Undo, no luck.

I check another Project, same issue.

Who changed these Setups while everything was turned off??? What is going on???

I'm about done with Pro Tools. Going back to Tape!!!! Besides all the problems & inferior Sound, I can't depend on Pro Tools. I can't afford the down time. I can't afford to lose entire Project's. Lost Project's equal PO'd & possibly lost client's.

Can anyone tell me how to fix my current problem?

Meanwhile I have to cancel another Recording Session. How embarrassing.

Thanks for letting me vent,

Lars

I'm using Macbook Pro, PT10, Pre Sonus 16.4.2 & Glyph External Hard Drive.

Meads 04-27-2013 11:23 AM

Re: I/O Settings have changed-No sound?????

Is your interface still selected in the playback engine?

Bill Denton 04-27-2013 11:25 AM

Go to the Pro Tools manual and read the I/O section.

Pay particular note to the critical checkbox that is mentioned.

Then do a search on this board for messages from me regarding the "Default" button.

By then you should be good to go or you should have decided that Pro Tools really is not for you...

larsongs 04-27-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Denton (Post 2035049)
Go to the Pro Tools manual and read the I/O section.

Pay particular note to the critical checkbox that is mentioned.

Then do a search on this board for messages from me regarding the "Default" button.

By then you should be good to go or you should have decided that Pro Tools really is not for you...

Where do I find the Manual? Is it the Search Box?

Thx,

Lars

dr_daw 04-27-2013 01:50 PM

Lars,

In your 'I/O setup' do you have 'Sessions overite current I/O setup when opened' checked? (it's at the bottom left)

There is a link at the top of the Forum page here that contains the 'Reference Manual' and it can also be found from the Help menu in PT. Ironically, one of the first things the manual deals with is finding and using this help menu. As has been mentioned to you in the past; Pro Tools is not plug and play. If you want your headaches to stop, take some of your valuable time to read the 'reference manual'. You may be pleasantly surprised how well written and informative it can be. For myself, it has been a great help in some of the confusing issues I've had.

Good luck. Have fun splicing tape :P if you decide to leave Pro Tools :D

larsongs 05-13-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr_daw (Post 2035074)
Lars,

In your 'I/O setup' do you have 'Sessions overite current I/O setup when opened' checked? (it's at the bottom left)

There is a link at the top of the Forum page here that contains the 'Reference Manual' and it can also be found from the Help menu in PT. Ironically, one of the first things the manual deals with is finding and using this help menu. As has been mentioned to you in the past; Pro Tools is not plug and play. If you want your headaches to stop, take some of your valuable time to read the 'reference manual'. You may be pleasantly surprised how well written and informative it can be. For myself, it has been a great help in some of the confusing issues I've had.

Good luck. Have fun splicing tape :P if you decide to leave Pro Tools :D

Stuck again! The same problem is back!!! I've read & tried all the applicable Help suggestions, went through the I/O Section of the Manual, checked the "session overwrite I/O setup when opened" Box, did several defaults & re-starts. Still no sound thru External Monitors, Headphones etc.

What am I missing?

Lars

albee1952 05-13-2013 07:24 PM

Did you UNcheck that box in the IO setup window?(you should). Then, while the IO setup is open, click on the Bus tab and scroll down. If you see anything in italics, uncheck that as well. People crabbed for years for more than 32 buses and starting in PT 9, Avid delivered. Unfortunately, its not perfect(yet, anyway). Also, as said, go to Setup>Hardware and make certain your desired interface IS the selected audio engine. If it keeps changing that, it could be how you fire up your system(best is to turn ON the interface before you boot the computer). If you forget and have the interface turned OFF or disconnected when you open Pro Tools, it will/may default to your onboard audio.

danander11 05-13-2013 07:32 PM

Hold down the N key when starting pt. you will launch a window that allows you to set you hardware options. I would be willing to bet, (as Albee has suggested), that you are starting pt without your interface being on/available. When that happens, your I/O changes.

And again, read the manual.

zedhed 05-13-2013 08:42 PM

Before ranting about Pro Tools one should read the manual and learn how to use it otherwise one comes across as an idiot. Pro Tools works fine...yes there are bugs but in your case it's just a matter of knowing what you're doing.

Make sure you're interface is on & connected properly and bare in mind, if the proper drivers for your interface are not installed problems will arise. As mentioned go to Pro Tools>Setup>Playback Engine and make sure your interface is selected.

Then got to Pro Tools>Setup>I/O Setup>Input Tab & click Default then do same on Output Tab. You can now customize your I/O setup, renaming I/O's & Busses appropriately so they make sense if you wish.

UNCHECK 'Sessions overwrite I/O'

Once you've checked that everything is working properly go back into I/O Setup and Export this setup; name and save it to a logical location, if you ever have problems again open Pro Tools>Setup>I/O Setup and import this setup and you're good to go.

The Manual (Reference Guide) is installed with PT installation so it should be available in the Help menu within PT, or just google it if you can't find it.

larsongs 05-13-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zedhed (Post 2039569)
Before ranting about Pro Tools one should read the manual and learn how to use it otherwise one comes across as an idiot. Pro Tools works fine...yes there are bugs but in your case it's just a matter of knowing what you're doing.

Make sure you're interface is on & connected properly and bare in mind, if the proper drivers for your interface are not installed problems will arise. As mentioned go to Pro Tools>Setup>Playback Engine and make sure your interface is selected.

Then got to Pro Tools>Setup>I/O Setup>Input Tab & click Default then do same on Output Tab. You can now customize your I/O setup, renaming I/O's & Busses appropriately so they make sense if you wish.

UNCHECK 'Sessions overwrite I/O'

Once you've checked that everything is working properly go back into I/O Setup and Export this setup; name and save it to a logical location, if you ever have problems again open Pro Tools>Setup>I/O Setup and import this setup and you're good to go.

The Manual (Reference Guide) is installed with PT installation so it should be available in the Help menu within PT, or just google it if you can't find it.

I have checked all connections, ok.

Start up sequence, External Hard Drive, Pre Sonus finally Macbook w/ PT10.

I have done all of the above recommendations. I have read I/O section in Manual.

I have done several Re-starts.

Above Pan control on Mixer screen it says "no group", when I click, it says "No active Mix Groups". Is that the problem? What to do?

Thanks,

Lars