Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Core Audio (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=174403)

L-Dogg 08-11-2006 06:15 AM

Core Audio

Can someone please tell me why Core Audio launches.....occasionally....when I launch Safari? It does not happen everytime and I cannot see any common reason why it does open in this sporadic manner.

This is annoying because I will go surf the web and then go to open a PT session and I will be told that the hardware is in use by another program. I then have to Force Quit Core Audio to proceed.

Since I run my computer audio and the 002 Main outs through a mixer and NEVER use iTunes or any other audio through my 002 hardware.....do I even need Core Audio?

The Dougfather 08-11-2006 08:30 AM

Re: Core Audio

In that case, no, you don't need it. Just bare in mind if you want to use any third part apps with your 002, Logic, Peak, FCP etc. you won't be able to without core audio.

Cheers

Is built in audio set under system preferences or digi hardware, try trashing the safari prefs.

The Dougfather 08-11-2006 10:21 AM

I don't believe it, this has just started happening to me as well, it also happens when i launch MSN messenger, unfortunatly i need core audio, any takers???

Cheers

Digi Engineering 08-11-2006 10:41 AM

If you have your "Default Output" set to Digi HW, then anytime an app wants to make any sound (ie a beep), the CoreAudio Manager will be launched. If you want to avoid this, you can set your Default Output to something other than Digi HW.

digi-eng

The Dougfather 08-11-2006 11:40 AM

All of my audio on my iMac is set to 'bulit in audio', that way the only time the mbox is used is when Pro Tools is launched. It's MSN messenger that is launching core audio, not sure how to stop it????

Cheers

The Dougfather 08-11-2006 11:58 AM

I've managed to sort it, i went in to audio/midi device setup under utilities. My built in audio sample rate was set to 96k, not sure how i've never touched it. I set it back to 44.1 and messenger has stopped launching core audio.

Result!

The Dougfather 08-11-2006 11:58 AM

I've managed to sort it, i went in to audio/midi device setup under utilities. My built in audio sample rate was set to 96k, not sure how i've never touched it. I set it back to 44.1 and messenger has stopped launching core audio.

Result!

L-Dogg 08-11-2006 10:13 PM

Well my default output is set to the Revolution 7.1 soundcard and my setting is 44.1 in the Audio Midi setup, so while helpful hints they don't apply here for me.

Just now I booted and I saw the momentary brief image of the Core Audio manager window open up.....checked the dock and there it was in all it's annoying glory.

I appreciate the responses, thanks.