Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   VENUE Live Sound Systems (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   RME MADIface with Venue (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=276865)

Mrmanbag 06-27-2010 02:20 AM

RME MADIface with Venue

Hi all,
Does anyone know if the MADIface can be used with the new venue MADI card? I note on the MADI card instructions that the venue and MADI device must be sync'd using the BNC wordclock connectors. However, the MADIface does not have wordclock and i believe it uses steadyclock embedded in the MADI signal.
Any help would be greatly appreciated on this matter.

Sheldon Radford 06-28-2010 06:31 AM

Re: RME MADIface with Venue

Hi,

Yes, MADIface can be used. The receiving device/DAW will need to be set to clock to the incoming MADI stream (from VENUE). By doing this, you establish a common clock between the VENUE system and the MADIface, so a word clock connection is not required.

Sheldon

Mrmanbag 06-28-2010 06:41 AM

Many thanks Sheldon. Is it always best to set the venue as master and madi device as slave?

Sheldon Radford 06-28-2010 07:57 PM

It doesn't matter which device provides the master clock, so long as the two devices use a common clock. THis means the VENEU system can provide the word clock output, or accept the word clock output from another device, if provided.

In the case of the MADIface - which doesn't offer a word clock input or output - clocking to the VENUE MADI stream from VENUE essentially establishes this common clock.

Sheldon

matrol 07-01-2010 06:13 AM

Just FYI:
We tested exactly this setup (MAc/Madiface/Profile/Madi) over fibre for 2 full days last week and found no flaw technically / clock wise

Kenmillerjr 06-21-2012 12:54 PM

Alright, I am pulling this one from the archive. Ha! I just purchased an RME MADIface to use with Venue and ProTools 9. However, I can only get 32 channels into ProTools via the MADI connection. Is this correct? Can you not use all 64 (48+16 Assignables) in ProTools?!

Kenmillerjr 06-21-2012 01:49 PM

Well seems as though I forgot about the 32 track limitation with ProTools. If I invest in Logic Pro, would that allow me to simultaneously record up to 64 channels?

Tragic Dog 06-22-2012 02:35 AM

yes, it would. So would just about any other daw. my favorite for live tracking is reaper. I then import and mix everything in PT

Kenmillerjr 06-23-2012 08:12 AM

Does Reaper have a track limitation?

Tragic Dog 06-24-2012 08:09 PM

only limited by the computer being used. ie when you run out of power, you run out of power. I personally have done over 100 tracks... though it was to see if I could, nothing more.

There is a free, unlimited trial. give it a whirl and see if it's worth spending the money. (I thought it was/is)