Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Click question (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=236166)

losttimestudios 01-10-2009 07:04 AM

Click question

Can I set my click plugin in PT to count of 1/8th notes as opposed to 1/4 notes and if so how? Thanks.

crizdee 01-10-2009 07:12 AM

Re: Click question

Quote:

Originally Posted by losttimestudios (Post 1332933)
Can I set my click plugin in PT to count of 1/8th notes as opposed to 1/4 notes and if so how? Thanks.

Hi,

Insert a digirack delay. set to quaver. set mix to 50%

(Turn up the feedback level to annoy the drummer:D)

Chris

studiojimi 01-10-2009 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crizdee (Post 1332937)
Hi,

Insert a digirack delay. set to quaver. set mix to 50%

(Turn up the feedback level to annoy the drummer:D)

Chris

hey! don't bug the drummer..he has enough pressure

a printed click can be handy sometimes in 7.4 when you want to be in minutes and seconds but still have an eye on the grid lines

and you can double up and stagger a cop of that track for a double up an 8th note apart.

BaileyBass 01-10-2009 08:00 AM

Quote:

Or just double the tempo. This works great for initial tracking of Drums or other non midi instruments. Then half the tempo to get started editing or overdubbing.
I am going to try Crizdees method next time though as it is simpler, and one cue mix could be quarter notes, while another could be eighths or triplets (for folks who like subdivisions). Cool. SB

docric 01-10-2009 08:01 AM

Quote:

From the edit window, click on the + sign next to Tempo in the upper left hand section of the screen. That will display a pop-up Tempo window. Then click-and-hold on the qtr. note icon shown IN that pop-up window. It should now display the various options for note resolution (1/8 note being one of them) of the click.:cool:

HTH...

EvilElfBoy 01-10-2009 08:08 AM

Just click on meter, and change it to whatever resolution (i.e. quarter, half) This way you don't have to double your tempo but the click will double. ;)

BaileyBass 01-10-2009 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilElfBoy (Post 1332969)
Just click on meter, and change it to whatever resolution (i.e. quarter, half) This way you don't have to double your tempo but the click will double. ;)

That is great too. I can only remember playing with an eighth note click a few times (ballads) in 30 years... could have used it more. First clicks I experienced were the drummer playing a cowbell or clave in time with a "wind up" metronome while being recorded.
You can option/1 on the numeric keypad and get the time operations window.. and make the same changes, for the "non mousey" types.
Goes to show that If I don't use a feature once a month.. i forget it. I am an older model with less RAM, and what I have has been chemically compromised.:D

crizdee 01-10-2009 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docric (Post 1332966)
From the edit window, click on the + sign next to Tempo in the upper left hand section of the screen. That will display a pop-up Tempo window. Then click-and-hold on the qtr. note icon shown IN that pop-up window. It should now display the various options for note resolution (1/8 note being one of them) of the click.:cool:

HTH...

I've tried this but kept having problems! maybe i didn't set it right somehow?? do you use this method ok? cheers!

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilElfBoy (Post 1332969)

Click where? i click on the meter on the left ruler bar on the ruler bar and meter on the transport and no cigar!!

Chris

Stig Eliassen 01-10-2009 08:44 AM

Quote:

Click where? i click on the meter on the left ruler bar on the ruler bar and meter on the transport and no cigar!!
Have the meter ruler visible, double-click the first meter in the session (usually 4/4), and choose click resolution.

docric 01-10-2009 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crizdee (Post 1332987)
I've tried this but kept having problems! maybe i didn't set it right somehow?? do you use this method ok?

Hey Chris,

I'm not in front of my rig, but Elf may be right... it may be the + sign next to the "meter" tab, not the tempo tab. I always get these 2 confused... altering the resolution in one will HALF the click (if original is qtr notes, it'll play back half notes) and the other will double it....

I'll be in the studio in a half-hour or so and I'll check it and get back to ya'....

..but, to answer your Q, "yes", this is BY FAR the simplest way to play an 8th note click (or 16th or whatever ya want) without changing the session info.