Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Pro Tools takes forever to start up (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=119439)

livstone 10-26-2004 09:04 PM

Pro Tools takes forever to start up

Hi-

I am just setting up a G4 1.25 gig dual boot computer that I have installed Pro Tools 5.1.3on the OS 9.2.2 side. The problem is that when I start Pro Tools it takes a very long time to start up. The delay seems to be after DAE launches and all of the plug-ins have loaded. That is when it just sits forever before the probram is ready to run.

I have tried increasing the memory to DAE and Pro Tools and it still does the same thing.

My set up is the G4 1.25 gig computer w/1 gig of ram, Magma/Pro Tools 13 slot chassis with mix core, 5 mix farms, 2DSP farms and 2 Sample Cell TDM cards.There is an ATTO Express PCI Pro Dual Channel SCSI Card that has an external drive hooked up to it.There is also an Aurora Fuse card in it.

This same setup worked flawlessly in my Quicksilver 733.

Any thoughts on how to correct this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Wayne

livstone 10-27-2004 10:50 AM

Re: Pro Tools takes forever to start up

bump it up. Any ideas on this one?

gordy 10-27-2004 10:58 AM

We had somewhat of a similar problem. It would stall while loading the plugins. I researched the web and was advised to delete the protools and digidesign preferences. The files somehow got corupted. If you do this, when you start protools again, it will recreate those files. It worked for us.

player 10-27-2004 12:18 PM

do you have Sampeltank in your plugins folder. It gave me some problems once. get latest update

post on

livstone 11-05-2004 06:49 PM

Just had to update and say thanks for the heads up. I forgot that I had originally installed with just a core card so when I added the chassis full of cards it took forever to start up. After removing the digi setup and pro tools prefs all is well again.

thanks to all again!

Wayne

TCDet 11-06-2004 02:36 AM

6.7 and 10.3.5 with 101 items in my plug-in folder takes 1:10 to get to the workspace window.
My Mac boots in 1:00. (Journeling boot drive)

anodecathode 11-06-2004 04:38 AM

yes.. I have to admit, this is a big pain in the arse. Sessions load up much slower also. My PT HD accel /dual 2 gig G5 takes twice as long to get me into protools as my MixPlus /800 G4.. What gives? Is it the ilok? If so, how about a firewire 800 ilok?

roberts 11-06-2004 08:21 AM

If you want your sessions to load faster in OS X put the max RAM 2 GB. Since I did that it's a lot better. Also make sure you have lots of free space on your drive.; OS X takes 5 GB of Virtual Memory and when protttols is running you need at least 1 GB of real memory. Just use Activity monitor and you'll see how much OS X is a memory pig.