Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   V9 Compatibility (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=287285)

GTBannah 11-16-2010 03:03 AM

V9 Compatibility

I just read on the AVID site, that protools has not been certified with OS X 10.6.5. Does that mean it won't work, or it won't work well?

Apple is constantly "patching" the OS. Is there usually a long wait before PT catches up?

I'm nervous about dropping two grand for the V9 upgrade, the IEP and the MPTK, to find out that every time there is an OX update I'll have to limp along 'till PT catches up.

chrisdee 11-16-2010 04:12 AM

Re: V9 Compatibility

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTBannah (Post 1703895)
I just read on the AVID site, that protools has not been certified with OS X 10.6.5. Does that mean it won't work, or it won't work well?

Probably that it won't work well, but it could mean both.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTBannah (Post 1703895)
Apple is constantly "patching" the OS. Is there usually a long wait before PT catches up?.

If you have a non working system and your waiting for an update. Yes.

GTBannah 11-16-2010 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisdee (Post 1703912)
If you have a non working system and your waiting for an update. Yes.

.... not quite .... V 8.4 worked well in 10.6.3, and is doing well in 10.6.5. Can we expect problems if I upgrade to V9?

Larryboy 11-16-2010 03:21 PM

GTB, I guess you don't have a Pro Tools system yet. One thing that I think we all have gotten used to is the fact that Avid will ALWAYS be behind Apple. Actually, I think this is Apples fault. Every time they come out with a new update Avid has to test and test and test and write new code and test and write. I think I would go mad if I were working there, and sometimes I have just about gone mad waiting for them to catch up.

My solution is to partition my iMacs hard disk and load the OS on both sections and then keep one section with a setup that is dependable and another that you can take your chances on. I wanted Pro Tools 9 so I put it on one partition while leaving PT8 on another. Modern hard disks are so big now it's quite easy to have 3 or 4 systems on one disk.

GTBannah 11-16-2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Actually, I think this is Apples fault.
:eek: :p :D

Keybeeetsss 11-16-2010 03:45 PM

If 8.0.4 is workin on 10.6.5 then 9 should..

& ur gonna drop 2grand on what :confused:

GTBannah 11-16-2010 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss (Post 1704405)
If 8.0.4 is workin on 10.6.5 then 9 should..

& ur gonna drop 2grand on what :confused:

The two grand would be for the upgrade, the Complete MPTK 2, and the Instrument Expansion Kit.

Bill Denton 11-16-2010 04:51 PM

One thing to keep in mind...

When Avid says something is "not certified", it often means simply that they haven't gotten around to testing that particular piece of hardware/software.

Perhaps it would be enlightening if you did a search on here (and perhaps some other forums) for "OS X 10.6.5". I believe I have seen posts on here from people who are using that version; perhaps they can answer whatever questions you might have.

Vis a vis the MPTK, Avid indicated that most of the components/features in that product are now included in PT9 (although Eleven LE is not). You might want to do a line-by-line comparison between what's in the MPTK and and what's in PT9 before you "show them the money"...