Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Post - Surround - Video (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Questions for PT8 early adopters. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=233950)

Frank Kruse 12-19-2008 06:12 AM

Questions for PT8 early adopters.

-Does the "preserve fades while editing" work now or does it make more sense now? Or is it still the same?

-Have they fixed the beachball-problem with large region-groups?

-Have they improved the sluggishness with MXF audio-media?

-Are the "field recorder features" any better now? Especially the "expand tracks" function? Or does it still create millions of tracks that sometimes even exceed PT 256 track maximum wich usually ends with a crash?

-Have thy fixed the "automation doesn´t follow when nudging/trimming regions"-issue?

-Have they fixed the "remove selected" issue that always leaves unused behind?

-Do you you still get huge page-outs in memory-usage when working with MXF audio or you´ve opened a couple of OMFs in a row?

-Does PT8 work with Soundminer?

-Is there some kind of "do not create media larger than 2GB" preference to avoid consolidating when doing a transfer back to AVID or PT7.x and lower?

-Does PT8 import world-standard poly BWAVs with SMPTE track-layout now or are they still recognized as unreadable?

Thanks,

Frank.

Frank Kruse 12-27-2008 04:13 AM

Re: Questions for PT8 early adopters.

Also:

Does PT8 still create those stray fade-files folders all around?

frank.

Stuart P. 12-31-2008 12:42 PM

Curious here too. Trying to resist installing. After the 7.0 fiasco, I'm a wary beast.

Petevsi 01-01-2009 06:38 AM

Hi all
the fade files problem seems to be working okay, now quite sure what 'preserve fades while editing' problem you mean? Never had a problem with it, it works okay for me
Pete

Frank Kruse 01-02-2009 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petevsi (Post 1327102)
Hi all
the fade files problem seems to be working okay, now quite sure what 'preserve fades while editing' problem you mean? Never had a problem with it, it works okay for me
Pete

This is the problem:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread...preserve+fades

Petevsi 01-02-2009 02:47 AM

Hi Frank
never really thought that was a fault, seems quite logical really and hasn't bothered me. But I can understand why you dislike it.
Also thinking about it, the only time I've ever had stray fade folders is when switching discs and not setting the disk allocation correctly, is this what mean?
Kind Regards
Pete

Ale 01-03-2009 12:10 AM

Hi Frank

On my PT8 LE Testing station the fade problem still exist.

When moving a region before or after a crossfade the fade will be splitted into a fade in and out.

I think digidesign does not see a problem here.
But for many of us its annoying

Ale

danijel 01-03-2009 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Kruse (Post 1318859)
-Does PT8 import world-standard poly BWAVs with SMPTE track-layout now or are they still recognized as unreadable?

It does import (PT8 LE), but it nevertheless gave the Film/PT names to the mono files (so I got the .C suffix instead of .R etc). Maybe there's a setting somewhere in prefs for this, but I haven't checked.

Frank Kruse 01-04-2009 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ale (Post 1328136)
Hi Frank

On my PT8 LE Testing station the fade problem still exist.

When moving a region before or after a crossfade the fade will be splitted into a fade in and out.

I think digidesign does not see a problem here.
But for many of us its annoying

Ale

That´s too bad but thanks for the info. In an earlier thread a Digi rep already stated that it doesn´t really make sense to him either so there is hope ;)