Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 11 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   ilok issues, I hate ilok (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=390904)

JeffGT 05-03-2017 04:37 PM

ilok issues, I hate ilok

my old ilok 2 was damaged, so I jumped thru the hoops, paid $50 and now trying to figure out how to use my license with the new ilok. I kinda suck at this stuff, I'm old school (sorry). I went to the ilok site and it looked like I download the license manager which I did...it was in a zipped file. Now it says I need to download a utility to open the file, and that costs $25. Really?? Am I missing something or are they really going to gouge me for another $25? I try to right click and open and it takes me to s site to pay 25.

any help much appreciated!!

Top Jimmy 05-03-2017 05:37 PM

Re: ilok issues, I hate ilok

There are numerous free to use decompression utilities out on the interwebs. Not sure, but I thought most modern OSs could decompress natively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hugh-H 05-15-2017 05:04 PM

Hello JeffGT,

I don't know which OS you're talking about but if it's anything this decade (well, almost) it will decompress a zip natively.

MacOS - double click, it will decompress and create a folder of files.

Win XP,7,8,10 - right click, choose decompress (or whatever it says). It will create a folder of files.

I'm slightly concerned that you're getting some kind of message saying you need to pay $25 for some utility that jumps up when you right click. Those exist and are sometimes usable, but why are you getting that message? From whom? That should not happen. Just my rambling questions.

You mention you're old school and are not familiar with this iLok authorization process. Complicated by the fact that you're dealing with an iLok failure/replacement. For your benefit and to bring your chances of success from null to slim, please research the iLok site and look on Youtube for information and videos on how to authorize iLok licenses. iLok is a necessary evil and we all use it, I actually like the flexibility since we have so many workstations, but I can assure you it's not in any way intuitive to authorize a license. And if you mess up and somehow iLok loses or revokes your license, a common enough occurrence, their support historically has been just this side of nonexistent. This coming from someone who likes the iLok concept.

Good luck,
Hugh

jryser 03-15-2019 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh-H (Post 2430624)
Hello JeffGT,

I don't know which OS you're talking about but if it's anything this decade (well, almost) it will decompress a zip natively.

MacOS - double click, it will decompress and create a folder of files.

Win XP,7,8,10 - right click, choose decompress (or whatever it says). It will create a folder of files.

I'm slightly concerned that you're getting some kind of message saying you need to pay $25 for some utility that jumps up when you right click. Those exist and are sometimes usable, but why are you getting that message? From whom? That should not happen. Just my rambling questions.

You mention you're old school and are not familiar with this iLok authorization process. Complicated by the fact that you're dealing with an iLok failure/replacement. For your benefit and to bring your chances of success from null to slim, please research the iLok site and look on Youtube for information and videos on how to authorize iLok licenses. iLok is a necessary evil and we all use it, I actually like the flexibility since we have so many workstations, but I can assure you it's not in any way intuitive to authorize a license. And if you mess up and somehow iLok loses or revokes your license, a common enough occurrence, their support historically has been just this side of nonexistent. This coming from someone who likes the iLok concept.

Good luck,

Hugh

The zero down time made getting my broken ilok replaced a breeze. I had an extra ilok when my first one froze; cashed in my ZDT and was immediately back up running - they shipped a new ilok and I got my permanent licenses installed straight away. Easiest thing I’ve done on my computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

musicman691 03-16-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jryser (Post 2519287)
The zero down time made getting my broken ilok replaced a breeze. I had an extra ilok when my first one froze; cashed in my ZDT and was immediately back up running - they shipped a new ilok and I got my permanent licenses installed straight away. Easiest thing I’ve done on my computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something to keep in mind that if you have a spare iLok it has to have it's own ZDT coverage. For instance if you have to use ZDT on your regular iLok that coverage does not/is not transferred to the other iLok.

TOM@METRO 03-16-2019 04:51 PM

ZDT with TLC really takes the worry out of all of this. ;)