Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (http://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Avid S1, S3, Dock and Control (http://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   10.5 iPad Pro support? (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=391933)

Jazzbass56 06-25-2017 09:11 PM

10.5 iPad Pro support?

Does the dock work with the 10.5 iPad Pro?
And will the new iPad 10.5" fit in the dock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EddieJones 06-27-2017 02:57 PM

Re: 10.5 iPad Pro support?

The App works yes....we are getting one here to see if it fits and what is needed if it doesn't.

Jazzbass56 07-05-2017 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieJones (Post 2437583)
The App works yes....we are getting one here to see if it fits and what is needed if it doesn't.

How long does it take to put 10.5 " iPad in the dock to see if it fits and works?
Seems to be a simple thing to tell us if it fits or not
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EddieJones 07-05-2017 02:38 PM

About 2 seconds if you have one. I don't yet as it had to be ordered internally (I can't afford one myself)

We did design the Dock with a removable mount for this very reason so we are hoping that we can design a new mount.

EddieJones 07-18-2017 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
To support the new iPad Pro we will make a new bottom mount. This will roll into new Docks sometime in the future. I will also sell this new mount in the Avid Store so current uses can swap it out. If anyone wants to do (risk) this themselves, take the mount out by undoing the hex screws and remove the wall part on both sides shown in this image. The power cable fits OK.

Jazzbass56 07-18-2017 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieJones (Post 2441499)
To support the new iPad Pro we will make a new bottom mount. This will roll into new Docks sometime in the future. I will also sell this new mount in the Avid Store so current uses can swap it out. If anyone wants to do (risk) this themselves, take the mount out by undoing the hex screws and remove the wall part on both sides shown in this image. The power cable fits OK.

Well there ya go ....Thanks Eddie for staying on it.
I went and bought a regular 2017 iPad, and it works great....
But if I do upgrade my iPad,I know now that it will work.
Thanks you

seb.breton 07-28-2017 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieJones (Post 2441499)

Do you have any idea as to when this will roll out and approximately how much it will cost to order?

Trying to decide if I should buy a dock now, or wait until the new adapter is included...

Thanks Eddie!

EddieJones 07-31-2017 06:28 PM

This will take a while (months) to get into stores as current stock has to clear out first. We will put the adapter in the Avid Store as soon as its ready so customers can swap it out, it will be priced to cover our tooling and parts cost and no more. I'll let you know as soon as we have an idea. As I said earlier you could mod it yourself, you can always buy the new one if you balls it up ;-)

Aottens 11-17-2017 06:25 AM

Do you perhaps have any further information on this? Is this adapter already available? If not, do you have an estimation on when it would be available?

Thanks in advance!

EddieJones 11-17-2017 10:08 AM

We have the first ones coming in next week. We then need to package up with screws and instructions. I hope to get this on the Webstore before Christmas.

Aottens 11-17-2017 10:27 AM

That is awesome! Would it perhaps be possible to get/buy one for testing purposes? I’m working for a big Avid reseller in the Netherlands so a lot of our customers can benefit from this. Hope to hear from you.

EddieJones 11-17-2017 10:34 AM

We are only selling through the store unfortunately but I'll post on here once they are up.

MTTDVS 12-14-2017 02:10 PM

Hey Eddie!
Any update on the cradle adapter for the iPad Pro?

I'm using a pre-air iPad while my new iPad Pro sits idly by - It somewhat works, although requires baffling behind it.

Thanks!

EddieJones 12-14-2017 02:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, it should go live tomorrow, check out here and there should be a link on the left to it. http://www.avid.com/products/pro-tools-dock

MTTDVS 12-14-2017 03:09 PM

Wonderful news! Thank a bunch, looks great!

MTTDVS 12-18-2017 07:20 PM

So here's an interesting update -
The product page for the dock adapter went live on Friday and I successfully ordered it.

Today I get an email from customer support saying my order was cancelled because the adapter is not to be released yet - and they will let me know when it's ready again.

Eddie, do you know why this is?
Will the $19.99 price remain?
Any time estimate on when it will actually be available?

Avid really should not have had it's re-sellers all indicate that it is compatible with the Dock.

EddieJones 12-19-2017 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTTDVS (Post 2464731)
Avid really should not have had it's re-sellers all indicate that it is compatible with the Dock.

We didn't.

EddieJones 12-19-2017 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTTDVS (Post 2464731)
The product page for the dock adapter went live on Friday and I successfully ordered it.

Today I get an email from customer support saying my order was cancelled because the adapter is not to be released yet - and they will let me know when it's ready again.

Eddie, do you know why this is?
Will the $19.99 price remain?
Any time estimate on when it will actually be available?

I asked and will get back to you, stock is in transit to shipping at the moment...price is correct and will remain.

MTTDVS 12-19-2017 03:16 PM

Cool - Thanks Eddie
Didn't mean to point fingers about compatibility, just interesting that so many re-sellers have the same list.

EddieJones 01-09-2018 05:34 PM

http://www.avid.com/products/pro-too...5-ipad-adapter

willco 01-15-2018 04:19 AM

Hey Eddie - this appears on the avid store but won't add to my basket to buy it from uk - should i contact a reseller instead?

EddieJones 01-15-2018 12:20 PM

Thanks for reporting this, I have asked the web team to fix. Please try again tomorrow. Its only available from the Web Store at the moment. Eddie

AINSLIE 04-09-2019 08:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
just got a 10.5 iPad pro for my dock. Got the adapter. For anyone looking to do this it can be done for sure, but takes some manipulation. Once you have installed the adapter you are going to want to put the cable into the iPad before putting it in the dock, then slide the iPad into the slot at an angle to make sure the lightning connector goes under the side knob panel and thru the gap. Its really tight like a bum in a bucket. But it will insert albeit with pressure on the lightning cable. Unless I'm doing it wrong!

robertg 04-17-2019 07:16 AM

It looks like this dock adapter isn't right with the latest redesigned ipad pro, the square one with USB-C. It kind of fits in the groove but the usb-c port is obscured by the dock completely.

Eddie

Any plans to update this adapter again? I'll have to return mine unfortunately

EddieJones 04-17-2019 09:44 AM

Did you try with and without the rear support ? Could you post a picture ?

robertg 04-17-2019 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieJones (Post 2522395)
Did you try with and without the rear support ? Could you post a picture ?

I don't use the rear support (don't plan to either)

"Manage attachments" gives me a blank page, so here is an image link

https://i.imgur.com/rvHmev4.jpg

As you can see the usb-c port is blocked, the ipad is pushed down as far as possible. If the new adapter was recessed just a little bit lower, it would work... Also would be good to update the cradle's shape for a snug fit

thanks

robertg 04-22-2019 08:44 AM

Eddie, I'd like to return the dock adapter this week for refund and also get a return shipping label for it due to incompatibility. I don't want to use an ASC for this and am not familiar with Avid support, how would you suggest that I proceed?

EddieJones 04-22-2019 09:51 AM

Please check out this link https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__CCPage?p...calReturnsForm

robertg 04-22-2019 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieJones (Post 2522629)

"unopened and unused" - hope that won't be a problem

robertg 06-12-2019 11:45 AM

Hi - I returned my dock adapter. I am wondering if there are any plans to manufacture a new version of this that fits the latest model of ipad?

Again the biggest problem is that the usb-c charging port is blocked.

thanks

EddieJones 06-12-2019 11:51 AM

I just received my own 11" iPad Pro so will be looking into it.

legasafe 06-24-2019 02:43 PM

Any word on this? As an iPad Pro 11" user this is holding me back from pulling the trigger on the dock.

EddieJones 06-24-2019 03:11 PM

Yes, I have mine now. Size wise it even fits in the older Dock mount as its smaller then the 10.5" (smaller bezels) but the power connector hole is slightly obscured by the Dock housing. This will take a it to change in production and its unlikely we cold offer an adapter like before.
That said anyone with a bit of DIY skills could remove the plastic that's in the way. Its not visible from the front of the unit so should be OK.

robertg 06-24-2019 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieJones (Post 2530662)
Yes, I have mine now. Size wise it even fits in the older Dock mount as its smaller then the 10.5" (smaller bezels) but the power connector hole is slightly obscured by the Dock housing. This will take a it to change in production and its unlikely we cold offer an adapter like before.
That said anyone with a bit of DIY skills could remove the plastic that's in the way. Its not visible from the front of the unit so should be OK.

That's pretty disappointing that you don't want to update the adapter, and you are actually asking us to cut into the dock and turn this $1000 device into a DIY project. Really?

Why not redesign this properly so that the ipad sits lower into the dock, therefore not blocking the port.

If you asked me, you're shooting yourselves in the foot long-term by not keeping this product compatible with the latest ipad...

BScout 06-24-2019 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertg (Post 2530666)
That's pretty disappointing that you don't want to update the adapter, and you are actually asking us to cut into the dock and turn this $1000 device into a DIY project. Really?

Read what he wrote better.
He's saying changing production will not happen immediately to solve this and an adapter alone won't fix it.

Not that they don't want to fix it. He's giving you a work around.

robertg 06-24-2019 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BScout (Post 2530672)
Read what he wrote better.
He's saying changing production will not happen immediately to solve this and an adapter alone won't fix it.

Not that they don't want to fix it. He's giving you a work around.

" its unlikely we cold offer an adapter like before. "

That reads like a permanent decision to me..

And "remove the plastic that's in the way" - in other words, 'cut off the plastic, you're on your own.' Not "hang tight for 6 months" or anything like that.

Disappointing..

BScout 06-24-2019 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertg (Post 2530674)
" its unlikely we cold offer an adapter like before. "

That reads like a permanent decision to me..

And "remove the plastic that's in the way" - in other words, 'cut off the plastic, you're on your own.' Not "hang tight for 6 months" or anything like that.

Quote:

This will take a it to change in production and its unlikely we cold offer an adapter like before.
Bolded for emphasis.

This means current Docks will not be fixable. Hanging tight for 6 months will not change this. An adapter swap will not work (and I can guess why -- the adapter can only be so thin at the bottom before manufacturing it makes it weak and crackable. So the area near the power port access on the knob frame will need to be widened for new Docks.)

Or you just dremel a bit of plastic out or return your Dock.

robertg 06-24-2019 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BScout (Post 2530678)
Bolded for emphasis.

This means current Docks will not be fixable. Hanging tight for 6 months will not change this. An adapter swap will not work (and I can guess why -- the adapter can only be so thin at the bottom before manufacturing it makes it weak and crackable. So the area near the power port access on the knob frame will need to be widened for new Docks.)

Or you just dremel a bit of plastic out or return your Dock.

That seems a little far fetched to me. I'm not near the unit right now, but I recall this sort of working with the adapter removed completely. The only thing they may lose or have to make smaller is the logo. I'll have to try it again to confirm

EddieJones 06-24-2019 05:16 PM

What BScout says. This isn't about the bottom tray/adapter so isn't as easy to fix as before. If you drop the iPad lower by removing the adapter you will cut off part of the screen at the bottom with its smaller bezels.

FYI we don't get any warning from Apple on design changes and it would be cost prohibitive just to scrap all current Docks. As I said we are working on making it compatible for future versions.

robertg 06-24-2019 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieJones (Post 2530694)
What BScout says. This isn't about the bottom tray/adapter so isn't as easy to fix as before. If you drop the iPad lower by removing the adapter you will cut off part of the screen at the bottom with its smaller bezels.

FYI we don't get any warning from Apple on design changes and it would be cost prohibitive just to scrap all current Docks. As I said we are working on making it compatible for future versions.

That's fair, in my experience of observing Apple's patterns, I don't see this design changing again for another 5 years at least.. It might get thinner, but the overall shape should remain the same