Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Split out of (avid)multiband splitter is phasing (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=394015)

[email protected] 09-27-2017 02:31 PM

Split out of (avid)multiband splitter is phasing

I'm using the Multiband splitter to feed an aux track (in my case the low-mid split) and it's phasing with the original signal. Seems like it's not being compensated properly. No plugs on it. Most of the low end disappears when I add that split channel but not perfectly out of phase.

Ben Jenssen 09-27-2017 02:40 PM

Re: Split out of (avid)multiband splitter is phasing

http://www.avid.com/plugins/pro-multiband-dynamics

Bottom of the page:
Quote:

Pro Multiband Dynamics is not recommended for parallel dynamics processing as it can result in phase issues between the processed signal and the unprocessed signal.

[email protected] 09-27-2017 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen (Post 2451424)

It's not the dynamics, it's the splitter and it's designed for exactly that purpose. (I think...)

It says this:
You can use Flip band processing mode for results similar to parallel processing without phase issues or having to set up parallel compression routing.

What does that mean?

SBP 09-27-2017 03:31 PM

Hi -If I sum all the plug in split AUX outputs and also the main output of the plug in -then invert the phase the on the main post the multi dynamics plug in =sound fully cancel.

This is on a native pro tools system.

Cheers

Bruno

teedeecee 09-27-2017 03:32 PM

Perhaps a simple band pass or HPF & LPF filter could achieve the same thing sans phase issues.

[email protected] 09-27-2017 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBP (Post 2451443)
Hi -If I sum all the plug in split AUX outputs and also the main output of the plug in -then invert the phase the on the main post the multi dynamics plug in =sound fully cancel.

Cheers

Bruno

Right- So that's NOT happening on my rig. (HD native)

SBP 09-27-2017 04:10 PM

Is the delay compensation thingo showing green?

Just wondering if its something else in the session that is throwing things off.

My test used AUX input track as source what sort of track is your multi dynamics plug in on?

[email protected] 09-27-2017 04:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SBP (Post 2451455)
Is the delay compensation thingo showing green?

Just wondering if its something else in the session that is throwing things off.

My test used AUX input track as source what sort of track is your multi dynamics plug in on?

Yes. I'm attaching a screenshot. (and in case anyone suggests that, even with plus disabled, it still behaves this way.

Drew Mazurek 09-27-2017 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 2451449)
Right- So that's NOT happening on my rig. (HD native)

You two are talking about different things.

Take all the splits, break them out each to their own Aux Input, then sum all of them back together while putting plugs on the low mid band that you want.

This way they've all gone through the "same routing"

[email protected] 09-27-2017 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SBP (Post 2451443)

Cheers

Bruno

Also- What are you referring to as the "main output of the plugin"?
The channel out?