Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 12 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   ProTools Software Development stuck in the Dark Ages? (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=394735)

DumbIT 10-29-2017 01:01 AM

ProTools Software Development stuck in the Dark Ages?

I've had a long career in IT, and seen many software revolutions and evolutions. For an expensive product which has supposedly been through major re-writes, I'm often struck by how unwieldy the Pro Tools system is:
1. I've just Updated 12.8.0 to 12.8.2
It required a 4.5GB download (!!!!!!!) for a sub-sub release. Have they not heard of modular/granular code, and making the update contain only the code that has changed?
2. The Application Manager itself is close to 0.5GB. It does relatively little. WHY so large?
3. The Application Manager changes more frequently than Pro Tools. WHY?
4. Why doesn't the App Manager advise how the big the download will be?
5. Why does the App manager take minutes to sync accounts?

lesbrunn 10-29-2017 01:51 AM

Re: ProTools Software Development stuck in the Dark Ages?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DumbIT (Post 2456735)
I've had a long career in IT, and seen many software revolutions and evolutions. For an expensive product which has supposedly been through major re-writes, I'm often struck by how unwieldy the Pro Tools system is:
It required a 4.5GB download (!!!!!!!) for a sub-sub release. Have they not heard of modular/granular code, and making the update contain only the code that has changed?
2. The Application Manager itself is close to 0.5GB. It does relatively little. WHY so large?

Hi,
Looks like you're new to PT? Don't know very much about coding, but PT development is definitely in the Dark Ages. Avid should take a look at Reaper. Does everything that's required of it, efficiently, with a very small footprint.

deanrichard 10-29-2017 03:32 AM

Though retired now, like you I had a long career in IT. And from what i can see PT is a perfect example of bloatware at it's worst. Based on reports, the code base has transitioned between several engineering teams, which in my experience generally leads to problems. And from the outside, it seems the code is indeed a perfect mess. That explains the long litany of oddball bugs that pop up sporadically, and are so difficult to reproduce on demand so they can be fixed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DumbIT (Post 2456735)

Drew Mazurek 10-29-2017 05:16 AM

Improvise, adapt, and overcome.

ValkRider 10-29-2017 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek (Post 2456749)
Improvise, adapt, and overcome.

Are you insinuating, just use bailing wire, bubble gum, wire ties and string to make a lame piece of equipment limp along,
hoping it will get fixed in the future if you decide to pay for the repairs yet again :D

xylie6 10-29-2017 08:55 AM

I have used PT for a long time also. Likewise, I started as an electrician and ended up working low voltage equipment such as PBX, voicemail, security, etc.

We started in the days of Microsoft's DOS and BBS systems, so it's been a while. Anyone unfortunate enough to have tried to use more than one com port in those days can remember the pain.

My own experience with Pro Tools has been mostly positive, until this latest release. I have had the issues with crashes but nothing like this.
It's guaranteed that the changing the programming team was a major issue.

My subscription is up in about 5 days, and I still don't what I'm going to do. I want to keep it going, but am really turned off with the time it can take to maintain this program. Hoping the next release will be solid is no way to go.
I'm not a complainer by nature but am losing confidence in this. I know from the forum that most people want stability over features, including me.