Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   002 rack drop out fix!!!!! Disclaimer within. (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=186064)

egore 01-05-2007 11:53 PM

002 rack drop out fix!!!!! Disclaimer within.

Hello all, I have had lots of trouble with my 002 rack recently(four weeks!!!!). The sample rate sync light kept dropping out and i would loose communication with the rack. I have an intel mac pro and i am running PT7.3cs1. I have re installed PT, the OS and pace drives many times but without any success. Just about to throw the damn thing, I decide to remove the top cover of the rack. Within is a series of pcb boards and interconnecting cabling. I decided to disconnect all the cables(pull these directly out away from the mounted plug, so not to bend the pins) and clean the connections. One connector is tricky, but do-able. Put all back together, and yeahhhhhh! The f@@#'n thing works. Not one problem since.

*note, just advising that there is dangerous voltage with in the case, and should be done by a qualified tech. Do this at you own discretion.

Slim Shady 01-06-2007 10:02 AM

Re: 002 rack drop out fix!!!!! Disclaimer within.

You should probably still go ahead and the power harness replacement from Digi, cleaning the conenctions works for a little while, but eventually the harness will fail and no cleaning will help so best to replace it while it's still working so you don't have any major downtime.

drguitar 01-06-2007 02:31 PM

that's really not necessarily true

I had a full power harness AND power supply replacement done a couple of years ago

and still every 6 months or so I have to open the thing up, clean the connections well, and put back together or else it get's all the usual symptoms of not staying on properly

.....little bit of a pain in the butt, but I've gotten used to it and just do it regularly between projects.....not the worse thing in the world

Colorblind 05-04-2007 02:19 PM

Hey guys, quick question. What do you guys use to clean the connections? My 002 just stopped working, it doesn't even click when I power it on, so I thought I'd try this first. Thanks,

C

EGS 05-04-2007 02:39 PM

Here's an email I got from Digi tech support a while ago - hope this helps (there are 2 parts to this):

Rule of Thumb for the Use of DeoxIT Power Booster & ProGold
If the connector is visibly dirty (oxidized):
1. Apply DeoxIT Power Booster to the contact/connector surface before applying
ProGold.
2. If the surface is heavily oxidized, leave the DeoxIT on overnight, if possible.
3. The following morning, remove any contaminants lifted by the DeoxIT with a lintfree
swab and “canned” (compressed air), if necessary. Repeat process, if the
surface is heavily oxidized. Finish with a couple of short bursts of DeoxIT.
If the oxidized connector is plated metal (i.e. gold, silver, zinc, nickel, etc):
1. Apply DeoxIT as directed above.
2. Once no further oxidation comes off on the lint-free cloth or swab, apply ProGold.
Maintain thereafter with ProGold.
If the connector is plated metal, and the surface is pristine (clean):
1. Apply ProGold.
NOTE: If using 100% solution, remember to wipe off the excess with a clean lint
free swab or cloth, and used “canned” (compressed) air wherever necessary.
Also
If circuit boards with components are to be treated, a simple mylar or metal template
should be placed against populated component areas to avoid potential over-spray, if
aerosol versions are chosen.
Please note that DeoxIT does not necessarily remove any superficial discoloration
caused by oxidation.
Please refer to our website www.caig.com for all version options.
Prepared By:
Susan Prenatt
CAIG Laboratories, Inc.
12200 Thatcher Court
Poway, CA 92064
[email protected]
858/486-8388

**************and this one too***************************************

Digi 002 / Digi002 Rack Power Supply Replacement instructions
for
Digi002 Main unit
Digi002R Main Unit
- 1 -
__________________________________________________ _______________________________
IMPORTANT NOTICE!
Before continuing with the replacement of your units power supply (and harness), make sure you have it properly disconnected from the power mains!
__________________________________________________ _______________________________
Tools you need: - Medium size Phillips screw driver
- 7/32” hex nut driver
- Towel
- De-Oxit to clean contacts (optional/recommended)
- Pro-Gold to preserve contacts (optional/recommended)
Parts supplied with this kit:
- Silver Skynet Power supply (1)
- screws (4)
DIGI002
1. Turn Digi002 over on a soft surface - 2 -
2. When the unit is upside down, avoid resting the top row of knobs on a hard surface
3. Remove the 15 Phillips screws that hold the bottom panel in place
4. Lift bottom panel off - 3 -
5. Locate the two power harness connectors and disconnect them from the power supply
6. Remove panel with attached power supply from unit
7. Remove the power supply from the panel by unscrewing the 4 Phillips screws, located at each corner of the power supply. You might have to you the hex nut driver to hold the nuts. Don’t worry, the nuts are supposed to come off.
8. Remove the 4 screws completely from the new power supply.
- 4 -
9. Replace those current (short) 4 screws with the new (long) screws out of your kit.
New
Current
10. Put the power supply back on the panel.
11. Make sure the power supply connectors face in the right direction!
8 Pin
(to PCB’s)
4 Pin
(to power supply)
12. Put the bolts back on the crews and tighten them.
Now, if your kit includes also the DC harness, you might want to follow the steps in the DC harness installation guide, starting at step (7).
- 5 -
Before reconnecting the harness, we would advise you to take 2 minutes of your time and clean the connector pins of your boards. Simply, put some of the De-Oxit on the pins and wait a minute; then, wipe them clean with a cloth, Q-Tip or eraser. If your connector pins still show some “dirt”, apply some more of the De-Oxit and repeat the procedure. Once they’re clean, you might want to apply some of the Pro-Gold to the pins. Now it’s time to reconnect the harness cable.
Applying those fluids will help your unit to maintain proper operation under all conditions. If, however, you experience similar problems again, just follow the steps and clean/preserve the connectors and pins, and you will be up and running in no time.
13. Install the panel back on the unit and connect the harness connectors to the power supply. The connectors only fit properly in the headers one way, so you will need to make sure you install them correctly.
14. Install the Phillips screws back in (all 15!), flip the unit over and connect it to the power mains. You’re all set.
- 6 -
Digi002 Rack
1. Put the unit on a soft surface or towel to avoid scratches to the unit or your furniture
2. Remove the 14 countersunk Phillips screws that hold the top panel in place
3. Lift top panel off
4. Looking from the front of the unit, you will see the power supply is mounted to the right side panel - 7 -
5. Locate the two harness connectors and disconnect them from the power supply. Use flathead screwdriver to wedge in between DC harness connector and the header on the PSU. Rotate the screwdriver slightly to remove the connector. Be very careful not to damage the headphone jack which is adjacent to the power supply.
6. Remove the 4 Phillips screws from the outside right panel that hold that power supply in place. - 8 -
7. Replace the power supply with the one out of this kit. Make sure the connector’s nose “clicks” into the header on the power supply.
8. Use the same Phillips screws that have been used on the old power supply to mount it. Tighten them. No need to use the screws that have been supplied in this kit!
Now, if your kit includes also the DC harness, you might want to follow the steps in the DC harness installation guide, starting at step (3).
Before reconnecting the harness, we would advise you to take 2 minutes of your time and clean the connector pins of your boards. Simply, put some of the De-Oxit on the pins and wait a minute; then, wipe them clean with a cloth, Q-Tip or eraser. If your connector pins still show some “dirt”, apply some more of the De-Oxit and repeat the procedure. Once they’re clean, you might want to apply some of the Pro-Gold to the pins. Now it’s time to reconnect the harness cable.
Applying those fluids will help your unit to maintain proper operation under all conditions. If, however, you experience similar problems again, just follow the steps and clean/preserve the connectors and pins, and you will be up and running in no time.
9. Install the harness connectors back on. The connectors only fit properly in the headers one way, so you will need to make sure you install them correctly.
10. Replace top panel on unit and re-install the 14 counter-sunk screws. NOTE: Put all the screws in about half-way first to ensure proper alignment of top panel. Then tighten the screws all the way. - 9 -
11. Plug in unit and turn it on. The “MUTE” LED should go on. No other LEDs should be illuminated.
Press the “MUTE”, “MONO”, and “ALT SRC” buttons in turn, toggling their respective LEDs on and off.
We appreciate your cooperation!
Digidesign CS Repair
- 10 -

Colorblind 05-04-2007 02:44 PM

great, thanks for the quick reply.

C

drguitar 05-04-2007 04:12 PM

I've only ever used 99% Isoproyl Alcohol

do NOT use rubbing alcohol or alcohol with less than 99% content

It has been maybe a year or since I last had to clean the contacts....002 still running just fine

tele_player 05-04-2007 05:59 PM

Alcohol is a fine solvent for oily deposits, but that's not what we're talking about here.

This is about galvanic corrosion on poorly-chosen connector materials. The friction of removing and replacing each plug is enough to get things working again.