Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac) (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   URGENT disk error / save session copy in.. problem (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=83796)

viaspiaggia 09-16-2003 07:17 PM

URGENT disk error / save session copy in.. problem

hi all. we're trying to save a session copy in... of a session to a windows-compatible format. the session we're working off of is already a session that has been saved a copy in... (so its all fresh copies of files). when we go to save it as either .wav or .aif with enforce Pc compat checked, we ALWAYS get a -37 or -50 disk error part of the way through copying the files.

we have tried importing tracks to new sessions, copying to new drives, consolidating audio, pretty much EVERYTHING and we continue to get the errors. anything else we can try?

thanks all.

-adam-

Rail Jon Rogut 09-16-2003 07:19 PM

Re: URGENT disk error / save session copy in.. problem

You're trying to save to a FAT32 drive? What happens if you save the copy to a local Mac drive and copy that with the Finder?

Rail

johnnyv 09-16-2003 09:18 PM

I was just having a similar problem...try rebooting your computer into OS 9, open your file using PT 5.3.1, and then try it. You might have better luck...I did.

J

viaspiaggia 09-17-2003 05:38 AM

thanks rail and johnny.

its actually being copied to a mac drive to start with - i believe they will burn a CD and then load that to the windows machine on location...

we're currently in os9 / 5.1.3.

hope to get digitranslator up and running today to see if an omf will do the trick.

any other ideas!?!?

-adam-

georgia 09-17-2003 05:58 AM

Check your file names... I ran into a file name on an audio file that was not compatable with PC. I admit that i'm not 100% sure of this, but we renamed some of the files and it worked. It also just might be a bad file somewhere....

cheers
georgia

viaspiaggia 09-17-2003 06:36 AM

thanks georgia. all the file names are pretty normal. i did try making them xxxx.L instead of xxxx L if that makes a difference, and removed parentheses and such, though i don't think those matter. do PCs dislike lots of underscores? some of these files have multiple underscores but i've never seen that be a problem...

keep the ideas coming! digi tech - anything?!?

-adam-

jimlongo 09-17-2003 06:48 AM

Make sure none of the files has a name that is very long (in the 29 character of longer area). That was a problem somewhere back there. Something to do with the new file having to add more characters (.wav) and the result being too long.

Just a guess. HTH

viaspiaggia 09-17-2003 07:21 AM

Re: URGENT disk error / save session copy in.. pro

brilliant, jim! i didn't suspect file name length because it was aborting the copy when the progress box in PT was showing "copying file "violin_01" to...." so i assumed that file was the one that was screwing it up. but there were a few in the session that had longer names - must have been looking ahead and freaking out in advance....

THANKS! now we'll see if it actually loads on this *&$#! xp machine...

-adam-