Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools 2020 (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Digital Noise on BTD and Recording (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=409586)

doylemusic 04-16-2020 06:07 AM

Digital Noise on BTD and Recording

Hello All

Having some really weird issues and looking for some thoughts/help. I'll try to describe the issue and provide info.

Essential issue is any bounce to disk or recording of audio results in some weird digital noise along with the audio, making it un-useable.

Example:

http://visitor.doylemusic.com/PT_audio_issue.wav

I'm running PT 2020.3 on Win 10 Pro 1909, so I think I'm compatible. I use two Lynx Aurora 16's with one HDX card. I've double checked my graphics card and drivers.

When I run a digitest with both or one of the Lynx connected and on, I get PIO and TDM PIO errors. When I run the test without the devices powered on, it passes. The firmware on the units is up to date. I've worked with Lynx support and they dont think the converters are a problem after running through multiple tests. Especially since converters are not part of the "bounce-to-disk" process.

When I set my playback engine to Windows Audio Device, the audio is fine.

Any thoughts?

doylemusic 04-16-2020 07:11 AM

Re: Digital Noise on BTD and Recording

One additional note, my preferred setup is to clock both Aurora externally to an Antelope Audio Pure 2. I have tested clocked internally as well. But honestly not thinking this is a converter issue, seems something more PT related.

Just trying to give as much helpful info as I can :)

The Weed 04-16-2020 11:55 AM

Run LatencyMon and see if there is something causing your issue.

albee1952 04-16-2020 12:47 PM

Are you using any hardware inserts in the session? Does it happen with all sessions or just this one?

doylemusic 04-16-2020 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Weed (Post 2561959)
Run LatencyMon and see if there is something causing your issue.

I'll check. Ran it and it says everything is good. I dont see any issues, unless I'm missing something. Never ran the tool before, so....

doylemusic 04-16-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by albee1952 (Post 2561968)
Are you using any hardware inserts in the session? Does it happen with all sessions or just this one?

Happens with all session. My current test session is literally one imported stereo file. No inserts, plugins, etc.

The Weed 04-16-2020 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doylemusic (Post 2561969)
I'll check. Ran it and it says everything is good. I dont see any issues, unless I'm missing something. Never ran the tool before, so....

You need to run it for a bit, like 5 minutes or so. It sometimes takes a while for issues to show up.

Also, have a look at this Thread.

doylemusic 04-16-2020 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Weed (Post 2561995)
You need to run it for a bit, like 5 minutes or so. It sometimes takes a while for issues to show up.

Also, have a look at this Thread.

Ok, ran it again and got this:

Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:01:21 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

Went through your post and re-checked Optimization for Win 10. Thought I had disabled hyperthreading before but somehow it was enabled. I dis-abled that, turned off Turbo and c-State. Also tried updating Network driver.

Ran CCleaner to clean registry.

Re-tested and got the same error in Pro Tools and same errors in LatencyMon.

Rebooted and re-ran Latency mon again and got slightly different error:

Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for 0:07:47 (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

Thoughts?

doylemusic 04-16-2020 08:16 PM

I dont see anywhere to disable throttling in control panel or bios (uefi).

:confused:

sw rec 04-16-2020 08:41 PM

Running a secondary hard drive, or recording to the system drive?