Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community (https://duc.avid.com/index.php)
-   Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio (https://duc.avid.com/forumdisplay.php?f=164)
-   -   MTRX hookup question, Dante vs Digilink (https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=402691)

SomeOtherGuy 12-30-2018 05:52 PM

MTRX hookup question, Dante vs Digilink

I'm considering an Avid MTRX for my Pro Tools HD Native system, replacing an Apogee Symphony Mk1. In order to play Mac system audio though, I'll need the Dante option card.

But it looks like I'm better off connecting the MTRX to Pro Tools via Digilink to my Avid HD Native Thunderbolt box because there may be too much latency if the main connection for the MTRX to Pro Tools is via Dante (with the Dante Virtual Soundcard option).

Is this true? Use Dante for Mac System audio, and leave the main connection with Digilink?

BScout 12-30-2018 08:10 PM

Re: MTRX hookup question, Dante vs Digilink

Quote:

Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy (Post 2511128)
Use Dante for Mac System audio, and leave the main connection with Digilink?

This is the best option. If you have thunderbolt/HD Native/digilink already, use digilink for Pro Tools and route any system sounds through Dante into it.

SomeOtherGuy 12-30-2018 08:45 PM

Thanks, I'll do that. And is it true that Dante has more latency than Digilink?

Mixchump 12-30-2018 09:26 PM

Although I'm using ProTools HDX with Merging Tech's HORUS interface, the dilemma is similar in terms of latency.

If I'm tracking, I use HDX via DigiLink to connect and load up my configuration file with the IO cards routing to ProTools via the DigiLink port. However, for mixing, I'm using Ravenna (AES67) to connect as it allows me to use the Native mixer running on the CPU, so that plugins work with less round-trip latency when leaving and returning to the HDX DSP mixer. In my case, the excellent performance in round-trip latency is directly attributable to the HDX card, not to the difference between DigiLink and AES67.

In your case, with HD-Native, the only advantage I can see to going through DigiLink is a wee bit less latency (only because there's potential for Avid to have slightly better driver and port latency compared to Ethernet port), and support for more than 32io.

Will be interested to hear how this works for you in terms of system sounds, etc...

I actually find it really odd that the DAD interface (MTRX) has Dante as a cost option, rather than making it standard. Seems to me that could be really holding back the progress.

Anyhow, I'm sure it's going to be an excellent system for you!

You mentioned that you're on MacOS, so one tip in terms of Ethernet performance. Make sure you go into System Prefs / Network, and click on the gear (settings) drop-down - select "Set Service Order", and make sure that the port you're using for AES67 is at the top of the list!

SomeOtherGuy 12-30-2018 09:52 PM

Thanks for all the info!

BScout 12-31-2018 12:08 AM

If you aren’t using one of the accelerator cards for Dante and are using DVS, then there will be noticeable latency. And it sounds like you are using DVS.

I can understand why they charge for Dante as it is licensed and there is a specific controller chip that is part of the package (so DAD has to pay Audinate) for. Along those same lines, Audinate upgrades and develops for that controller and pushes support through their development partners. There was a firmware update sent out with the last DADman version that came from Audinate, for instance. And not everyone using the MTRX/AX32 wants to use Dante (MADI support for large channel counts is heavily supported too) so they shouldn’t have to carry the extra charge (or pay for a chip that would go unused)

paulo m 12-31-2018 06:32 AM

If you´re going to have a spare 2 channels on your AD card options on the MTRX, you can connect your MAC Pro via the analogue out using a balancing unit. It saves you from buying the Dante card option.

its2loud 12-31-2018 07:21 AM

Source-Nexus is another cheaper option if you’re only using Dante for system audio into PT.

lucienpalmer 12-31-2018 08:08 AM

If you are only using DVS for “system sounds” or a few other apps, the delay is minor. A few milliseconds.

I use the MTRX with Dante and MADI for mission-critical stuff like Pro Tools. But I also run stereo out of all three of my systems using DVS to monitor system sounds, Basehead, RX7, YouTube occasionally, etc. DVS will let you run via Dante back into the MTRX, and out to whatever your main outputs are. You can even creat a monitor path in DADman with separate volume controls for each DVS source.

SomeOtherGuy 12-31-2018 08:23 AM

Right, I don't care about the delay for system sounds, but was asking only to see if it was also viable as the main PT connection (which I now see is not the case).

I don't really need Dante; I just want to hear system audio through a digital rather than analog connection to the Mac.

Thanks for the tip on Source-Nexus, looks like a good solution.

Right now with my Apogee Symphony, I don't have to even think about it; system audio always plays though my studio setup. Looking to come as close as this as possible.