PDA

View Full Version : Charles Dye's "seven course in mixing"??

lydpik
07-09-2003, 03:48 AM
Hi.

I recently purchased a Mix plus system and I've been searching Digizine to se if I could find some tricks, that could improve my work in pro tools.

I very excited when I ran over Charles Dye's "seven course in mixing" which I found in his columns called "hard disk life".
In each column one was able to download a session, with examples from the lessons using Rocket Network and DigiStudio. This is a brilliant idea and that's just what I've been looking for.

So I was very disappointed when I noticed that as of April 1st 2003 the DigiStudio sessions wasn't no longer available for download.

How come? It's a great way for new-comers to learn some of the possibility there is in Pro tools and a good publicity too?? Here in Denmark, where I live, there ain't any training schools for Pro Tools. You have to learn everything by you self, so these sessions would be a great help for gay's like me.

So please tell me that it's somehow still possible to down load those sessions or, if some of you backed it up on CD's I would be more than happy to pay you for your trouble sending them via US Mail.

Thanks so much!!
Peter Siegfredsen

bassmac
07-09-2003, 10:47 AM
I think the plug got pulled on the Rocket Network due to lack of profits.

I found Dye's session's to be very helpful, but... C.D. uses a huge amount of plugs, literately 4-5 inserts on each track, plus a ton of plug loaded busses. So unless you own all those plugs, you're not going to hear the final product as he intended it to be.

Reading through the Hard Disc Life series is really usefull too.

I'm pretty sure I trashed all the sessions, but if you have any specific questions - maybe I (or others) can jog our memories.

images/icons/smile.gif

doorknocker
07-09-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by bassmac:
...... C.D. uses a huge amount of plugs, literately 4-5 inserts on each track, plus a ton of plug loaded busses. So unless you own all those plugs, you're not going to hear the final product as he intended it to be......
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Perhaps he intended that you'll buy these things because he got paid a huge amount of dough to promote them... images/icons/grin.gif
Anyway, he had some good points and he was the reason I bought the DUY Everpack (I like it, too images/icons/smile.gif )

Andi

lydpik
07-09-2003, 02:43 PM
Thanks for your reply.

"I'm pretty sure I trashed all the sessions, but if you have any specific questions - maybe I (or others) can jog our memories."

I don't think I have any questions right now, thanks anyway. But it would have been really nice to se it all in action, so if you or others who reads this should have the sessions some were, please let me know.

Thanks,

Shan
07-09-2003, 02:58 PM
I myself am also looking for those Dye sessions. Anyone who has them let me know. Thanks.

Shan

Billins
07-10-2003, 11:22 AM
I think I have these at home but won't be able to check till tonight

lydpik
07-10-2003, 01:39 PM
Great! Thanks a lot!!

Shan
07-10-2003, 02:48 PM
Great!
Shan

Billins
07-10-2003, 06:11 PM
It looks like I have most of it - it just needs to be organized. It's about a gig of files so it should fit on two cd's or if someone has an ftp server, I could post them there.

Milamber
07-10-2003, 06:17 PM
Digidesign should post them on DiSK (http://www.digidesign.com/disk/).

Shan
07-10-2003, 06:28 PM
Anyone want to give us a hand with an ftp server?

Shan

One-Liner
07-10-2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by lydpik:
so these sessions would be a great help for gay's like me.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

Billins
07-10-2003, 07:55 PM
It looks like sessions 6,8,& 9 are ok but 7 is gone - I still have the audio but the session is messed up.

lydpik
07-11-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Milamber:
Digidesign should post them on DiSK (http://www.digidesign.com/disk/). <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Good idea!!

lydpik
07-11-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Milamber:
Digidesign should post them on DiSK (http://www.digidesign.com/disk/). <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Good idea!!

Shan
07-11-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Billins:
It looks like sessions 6,8,& 9 are ok but 7 is gone - I still have the audio but the session is messed up. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think I found a guy who can host all this stuff. I will let you know when he emails me back.

Shan

Transit
07-30-2003, 11:17 AM
Is there anyone who has all of the sessions?

Shan
07-30-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Transit:
Is there anyone who has all of the sessions? <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have 3 of the 7 up on a server. Still looking for the last 3. We still need to gather:

Bass and Guitars HDL 7
Lead and Harmony Vocals HDL 10
The Big Picture HDL 11
Automation HDL 12

Email me for more info.

Shan

Jakeman
08-06-2003, 06:16 AM
I think I have it all. I'll just have to verify that. I'll let you all know. I must say it was a great learning tool.

Jakeman
08-06-2003, 06:45 AM
Here is what I have: HDL6 threw HDL11. Which is all the Crease song Live to Be In Love. And one other that is HDL1 that is bass drum, snare drum and bass tutorial. All in all 1.55 gig. I also have print outs of the column August 2002 threw January 2003. If there is someone whom has a place to put this all on a web page, I'd be willing to send them the files. Sorry that I don't have enough space to do this myself. I may look into that though. Keep me posted. images/icons/smile.gif

Donny
08-06-2003, 03:41 PM
Hey Jakeman,

That's great. I can host on a T1. I'll set up an ftp server tonight and get back to ya.

Jakeman
08-06-2003, 09:14 PM
Donny, I'll be away for the next four days. Hope to hear from you Monday.

Donny
08-07-2003, 08:22 AM
Sorry, Jakeman. I didn't get it up and running last night. I'll have it up today and will send you an email when it's up.

Shan
08-07-2003, 09:47 AM
Hey Jakeman, I have 3 of them up on my server but it's VERY slow. Donny's T1 line would be more ideal. Donny, let us know how to access when you get it all running or I can still use my server but it will take everyone forever to download.

Shan

bdoe
08-07-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Shan:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Transit:
Is there anyone who has all of the sessions? <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have 3 of the 7 up on a server. Still looking for the last 3. We still need to gather:

Bass and Guitars HDL 7
Lead and Harmony Vocals HDL 10
The Big Picture HDL 11
Automation HDL 12

Email me for more info.

Shan <hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Please get me info .... I'd love to have these

Donny
08-08-2003, 05:03 PM
OK guys, the ftp server is up and running. Click on my profile to get my email address and send me an email with the subject "Charles Dye Sessions" and I'll give you all the server info.

Donny
08-08-2003, 06:25 PM
Jakeman & Shan,
I sent you guys an email with the server info.

08-09-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by lydpik:
Hi.

I recently purchased a Mix plus system and I've been searching Digizine to se if I could find some tricks, that could improve my work in pro tools.

I very excited when I ran over Charles Dye's "seven course in mixing" which I found in his columns called "hard disk life".
In each column one was able to download a session, with examples from the lessons using Rocket Network and DigiStudio. This is a brilliant idea and that's just what I've been looking for.

So I was very disappointed when I noticed that as of April 1st 2003 the DigiStudio sessions wasn't no longer available for download.

How come? It's a great way for new-comers to learn some of the possibility there is in Pro tools and a good publicity too?? Here in Denmark, where I live, there ain't any training schools for Pro Tools. You have to learn everything by you self, so these sessions would be a great help for gay's like me.

So please tell me that it's somehow still possible to down load those sessions or, if some of you backed it up on CD's I would be more than happy to pay you for your trouble sending them via US Mail.

Thanks so much!!
Peter Siegfredsen <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Im not trying to Hijack this post as Im awate it has developed in to something else. Just so you know. There arnt any PTs learning centres in my area either. ill also wager that there isnt one close by most PTs users.

My point is that most engineers I know have learned to cut their chops by listening, and trial and error. Its actually part of the excitement of being in this game.

What if there were no videos or schools for you to help you learn. Would this mean you wouldnt be able to do this job ever?

Of course use the info thats available out there but dont forget to just get stuck in to it yourself.

Shan
08-09-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Donny:
Jakeman & Shan,
I sent you guys an email with the server info. <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Got it.Thanks.

Shan

Jakeman
08-12-2003, 04:31 PM
Having almost all the sessions I was planning to put them all together, as to have it all in one session. Meaning that there are no mixed tracks. Has anyone else done this? Just curious.

Shan
08-23-2003, 10:47 PM
Ok, it looks like we got everything up and running. We only need HDL12. Unfortunately I only have the version without the audio. There was also a version with audio that we need. Does anyone have this? Jakeman, I like your idea. One big session all together. That would be great!

Shan

mbuono
08-24-2003, 09:14 AM
Everything's all running?? How can we access it?

I've been looking forward to this, thanks to donny jakeman and shan for putting this together.

Jakeman
08-24-2003, 11:03 AM
Shan, if you know, what audio is HDL12 looking for? Can you fill me in. Tracks must be labled with info so we can figure it out. I never did see the HDL12 on the Rocket site so not sure what was suppose to be in it. Could it have been just automation and we were to piece it together? Just a thought. If you get that to Donny to put on his site I can download it and maybe use it to piece the whole session together. Thanks!

Donny
08-24-2003, 04:54 PM
Everything's all running?? How can we access it?

Click on my profile to get my email address and send me an email with the subject "Charles Dye Sessions" and I'll give you all the server info.

Shan
08-24-2003, 11:45 PM
Shan, if you know, what audio is HDL12 looking for? Can you fill me in. Tracks must be labled with info so we can figure it out. I never did see the HDL12 on the Rocket site so not sure what was suppose to be in it. Could it have been just automation and we were to piece it together? Just a thought. If you get that to Donny to put on his site I can download it and maybe use it to piece the whole session together. Thanks!

I just emailed it to you. I was almost certain there was also a version with audio but I cant recall.

Shan

Jakeman
08-25-2003, 05:30 PM
I got the HDL12 session file without audio(Thanks Shan!). I'm trying to link up and piece together as much as posible with the other sessions. In this session it is looking for a lot of bounced tracks that I don't have. This was done so one could play it back on a Mix3 system as per Charles' comment in some of the notes on the tracks. Hope you all bare with me as I try to put this together. Once I do, I'll have it posted on the site for all to download and try. Thanks!

Fidelis
09-15-2003, 06:24 AM
Hey Guys, thank you very much for the sessions. I already downloaded everything
The only problem I have now is: all my Waves plugins open with "factory default" presets, so I'm not able to hear what Charles did with Eq and Comp (among other things). This is valid for sessions "Copy of Collaborate" and "HDL 7" (did not open HDLs 8-11 yet ). The only session that opens fine is HDL 1, but as I can see there is a folder with plugins presets on this one, but not on the others. So, I would like to know if it's just me, or if you guys have the same problem. If you guys have the right presets maybe someone could upload it too. Others plugins works just fine. . Anyway, let me know if it's working for you. Thanks again. Take Care, Fidelis

Jakeman
09-17-2003, 06:42 PM
Fidelis, when I down-loaded these sessions back then I used demo plug-ins for the most part. So unfortunately I now would not know if the presets are correct or not. I'll look into it though and see if some were saved in my plugin preset folders and let you know. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it specific plugs or just the waves ones? I know for you Fidelis its just the waves, just curious if others have had problems with other plugs.

Jakeman
09-17-2003, 07:23 PM
Now that I'm in OS X I have downloaded the demo's of some of the waves plugs. They seem to work for me, though they do show in the name window part of the plug that it is default. The EQ is different so I can only assume it is what Charles wanted us to hear. This maybe the way it loads in. Fidelis, let me know if any of the other plugs(none Waves, even the Dverb setting, that one we both should have) are doing the same thing. Maybe its just a Waves thing.

Fidelis
09-18-2003, 08:51 AM
Hey Jakeman, thank you for your reply. All waves plugins just loaded "flat" for me. All others loaded just fine. The probIem is I don't own all of them so now the demos are gone .I think it could be a version problem. I still using PT 5.1.1 on OS 9 and I have an older version of Waves plugins. I just upgraded to PT6 OS X and I'll try with an upgraded version of Waves plugins. Hope that works. And I'll also download OSX demos for the ones I don't have so I can hear the hole thing. I'll let you know. Thanks again. Take Care.

Bob Mould
10-01-2003, 03:10 AM
Hey guys!

is it possible for me to get my hands on the sessionfiles too?

thanks
mike

Donny
10-10-2003, 04:50 PM
Message for Tim:

Hi Tim,
I emailed the server info to you but it bounced back because your mail box quota has been exceeded. Send me another email when your mail box has space and I'll be happy to send you the server info again.

-Donny

MusicRocks
10-13-2003, 09:24 PM
Donny

Could you email the site to me too.

I talked with Dye through email a while back. I told him he should come out with a course on CD/DVD--the guy is so cool he asked for my advise. The last I heard from him he is going to come out with something to share his talents even more with others--you have to buy it but it will be worth it.

[email protected]

Dimension Zero
12-03-2003, 07:49 PM
Looks like I am about a year too late! Damn! This stuff is priceless. I just emailed Donny to see if I can still get.

Digi should really accept CC payments and let us have access to this gold.

I have read many books on mixing and such but have never seen anything so specific on plugins where you can a/b the results in your own sessions. Amazing.

If Donny is no longer around, anyone else know where I can find these things? I downloaded the demo plugs for "big drums and bass" and they expire soon. I would like to get my hands on these. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Monty

PROPhr34k
12-09-2003, 11:09 AM
I need these too!! Can anyone help?

rmccam
04-07-2004, 09:33 AM
I hate to be a pain, but would someone be so gracious as to send that stuff to me too. I'd really appreciate it!!!

[email protected]

Thanks a million!!!

Ryan

Camilo Orozco
04-08-2004, 02:20 AM
I am interested in this sessions too! Are these files still available for download??

noize
04-08-2004, 10:47 PM
Hi Camilo, did yu ever get the sessions? If luv to get my hand on them also. please let me know if yu get it & where. Thanks

GW
04-09-2004, 02:31 AM
Same here!

Shan
04-10-2004, 11:32 PM
Same here!

GW send me your email and I will get them yo you.

Shan

Produce_Dept
04-12-2004, 08:51 PM
He relies allot on AC1 and 2 - do you guys have any favorite alternatives? Or to the DaD Valve and Tape plugins?

Shan
04-12-2004, 09:28 PM
He relies allot on AC1 and 2 - do you guys have any favorite alternatives? Or to the DaD Valve and Tape plugins?

The only other plug-in that does the tape saturation style is Pheonix by Crane Song.

Shan

Monte McGuire
04-14-2004, 06:03 AM

The Sony Oxford Dynamics has a warmth function that acts somewhat like AC1. There's also the Oxford Inflator, which I have little experience with, but it's in the same family as the Oxford warmth parameter but significantly more aggressive.

FWIW, these things sound great when you try them out, especially on soloed tacks, but I'd be cautious about using them too heavily on a mix. They can get pretty tiring and can lead to fairly small sounding mixes if you're not careful.

Just curious... why not use AC1 if you want that function? it appears to work well, is fully updated for the most modern rigs and it's ridiculously efficient DSP wise.

best,

-monte-

Casbah
04-14-2004, 08:41 AM

If you want alternatives to DaD Valve and Tape because you use Windows check out this thread (http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=14189) over at gearslutz. Dye is a guest moderator over there this month and it looks like the DUY plug-ins may come out for Windows.

Produce_Dept
04-16-2004, 12:40 PM
Yeah - I wish i could get those in windows... I hope the good news turns out to be legit.

Jules
05-14-2004, 04:22 AM
charles is resident here http://gearslutz.com/board/forumdisplay.php3?s=63124ff97c26bd45876d4c6040a275 d6&forumid=36 untill the end of the month if you want to ask him questions personally!

music
12-13-2004, 01:42 PM
I am just reading this. Does any body still have the files? Can I get a copy of them or FTP info. for download if you do? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Keith

Jakeman
12-13-2004, 08:04 PM
email Donny for the info. Check his profile for the email address.

Sutee Sangsareechon
12-14-2004, 10:39 PM
email address removed by request

thevault
12-15-2004, 08:51 AM
I also tried the email address to get the files but it was rejected? Anyone else?

Jakeman
12-15-2004, 09:53 AM
OK, here is the ftp site address: EDITED OUT BY SCOT's REQUEST then go into "pub" then into "Charles_Dye-Sessions". Hope Scot doesn't mind me posting this info. If it becomes a problem I may have to delete this post.
The key is to start from HDL6 and work your way up to 12 as they use sound files from previous versions to run if that makes sense. Enjoy!!!

waves3
12-16-2004, 10:22 AM
Hi,
Wondering if anyone ever figured out HD12? Were there actually audio files or did you have to bounce them yourself,
Thanks,

David

Jakeman
12-16-2004, 07:18 PM
I'll bring that one up tonight and let you know. I'll have to pull out the HD I backed it up on. I can't remember, but I thought something was strange about that one.

Jakeman
12-16-2004, 08:22 PM
HD 12 had mostly bounced tracks. And as per my previous post on this topic, I don't have these files and don't recall them being on the Rocket download area. That was a while ago, though I pretty sure I had downloaded all that was to be downloaded.
And as per HDL column:

Check Out the Session
Here you may download just the session data and see the automation without the audio files. HDL12 Crease-Automation Mac | PC.

So there was no file to go with this one.

Sutee Sangsareechon
12-17-2004, 11:10 AM
thanks very much jakeman,
I downloaded fullset, it have many nice tip&trick to mix in the box.
thanks charles too

Shan
12-17-2004, 03:06 PM
And dont forget this. HDL (http://www.harddisklife.com/HDL.html) Awhile back a few of us asked Charles to put out a 'How to' DVD. It's on the way. Looking forward to it.

The Hard Disk Life Original Column is also there minus the audio and PT sessions though.

Shan

waves3
12-17-2004, 03:30 PM
Thanks guys,

David

Jeff Bobula
12-18-2004, 11:49 PM
this is awesome. fast server too! thank you so much for everyone working together, cool community.

Jakeman
12-19-2004, 02:53 PM
Thanks!!! I'm looking forward to the DVD set Charles Dye is coming out with next year. I've pre-paid for mine. You can check it out on the site HaRd DiSk Life (http://www.harddisklife.com/HDL_MILAR_Pages/MILAR.html). Cheers!

Donny
12-20-2004, 05:03 PM
Sorry, guys...my email server went down a few weeks ago as I'm looking for a new place to host it (my email server, not the ftp server) and I forgot to update my DUC profile. My bad. I've updated my profile with my current email address. If you need the sessions check my profile and shoot me an email with the subject "Charles Dye Sessions".

I've been trying to sort of fly below the radar with the server so I would appreciate it if you guys would edit your posts and delete the server name and my email address. Thanks.

It is more laborious to have to send emails with the server info out to everyone (I've sent at least a couple hundred and I think I've responded to everyone up until my email server went down a few weeks ago) but I'm not really in a position to do it any other way. If anyone else has a public ftp server and wants to host the sessions and post the server info here please do.

One last request: PLEASE send me an email first and wait a few days before bumping the thread. Thanks, guys! It was my bad this time for not updating my profile.

Yes, the server is running on a T1 and it's usually pretty darn fast. Glad you guys are enjoying it and I'm happy to contribute to the nice folks at the DUC.

-Donny

music
12-21-2004, 01:40 PM
Yeah, Thanks very much for the sessions. Very cool. It is great to have a community that supports each other like this.

MUCH APPRECIATED!

Keith

Tubthumper
12-22-2004, 04:14 PM
My thanks to you also.

Take care,
Greg

Brubacher
12-29-2004, 10:54 AM
Just go to http://www.harddisklife.com or http://www.charlesdye.com
He still has all his original articles with audio files...

boneboy
01-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Charles does not have that many mix credits (as far as pro mixers go) but he is treated as a bit of an icon on the Digi site because of mixing one Ricky Martin record. He didn't even mix the follow up record. If you go to All Music.com you will see that most of his credits are for engineering. He has not mixed one major label record since doing "Livin' la Vida Loca" in 2002. Judge for yourself and use your ears. Here are his credits since mixing Ricky's record in 2002 according to All Music Guide.

Livin' la Vida Loca [US #2]
Ricky Martin
Engineer, Mixing

Manny Manuel
Manny Manuel
Engineer

Priest...Live! [Bonus Tracks]
Judas Priest
Assistant Engineer

Shalim: 2002
Shalim
Engineer

Almas del Silencio
Ricky Martin
Engineer

Chasing Papi
Original Soundtrack
Engineer

Natural
Noelia
Engineer, Mezcla

En Mi País
Various Artists
Engineer

Estar de Moda, No Esta de Moda
Tommy Torres
Engineer

MSM: Las Miami
MSM
Assistant Engineer

Looks like he's not getting mix work these days. So what's all the fuss about and why is he the PT's authority on mixing? If the music industry loved his mixes he would be mixing 10 to 20 albums a year after doing such a big hit like "Livin' la Vida Loca".

Charles has mixed about 20 major to small label records in his entire career according to All Music Guide (not that AMG is completely accurate but you get the picture) On the oppsite end of the scale, Tom Lord Alge mixed 40+ records in 2004 alone. I'm not insulting his work..I'm just trying to maintain some perspective for those of you that cling on to every word of advice that he gives.

Flame away

Alécio Costa
01-28-2005, 12:10 PM
But in this business not 100% of times the best one gets the best jobs. Some politics are within.
As far as I know he does a very good job, worked also with Aguilera/Secada/Jon Bon Jovi, etc.
BTW.. I have heard so much crappy stuff from Big names that I do not give a damn to some boutique guys.

boneboy
02-01-2005, 02:00 AM
But in this business not 100% of times the best one gets the best jobs. Some politics are within.
As far as I know he does a very good job, worked also with Aguilera/Secada/Jon Bon Jovi, etc.
BTW.. I have heard so much crappy stuff from Big names that I do not give a damn to some boutique guys.

That's all good to say but the bottom line is ..do you like his work? If the answer is yes, I'll shut up--but if you are defending a concept, i.e "not 100% of the time the best one gets the best jobs"..that's not what I am talking about.

I am saying, "do you think that the sound of the Ricky Martin record or any other of the few records Charles has mixed is what you aspire to accomplish as an engineer that mixes within the Pro Tools platform ? " If the answer is yes, go out and find all the tips & tricks he has offered.

But if you are clamoring to use his mix concepts because you have read it on the Digi site or somewhere else you are misguided.

Developing your chops as a professional mixer is about trial and error and learning from as many professionals as you can. Yes.. Charles has had one successful mix project, but that does not make a succesful mixer.

Jack Joseph Puig, Spike, The Alge Bros, Bob Clearmountain , Brendan O’Brian, Andy Wallace, etc., are not as successful as they are just because they know how to network. They go head to head everyday with each other and other high end mixers trying to please the artist, producer and the record company. It is a furious battle at the top.

I could give you many instances where these guys mixes have been turned down, but the difference with them is that they are more successful at satisfying the artist, producer and the record company and yes…the mastering engineer, (I've seen the mastering engineer suggest a remix of a track) than a lot of others out there.

My point with Charles is that since he mixed Ricky’s 1st record he has not been winning that horse race. Whether you like it or not, that does mean something in the music industry and with industry professionals. Take that however you want but the bottom line still is...do you like the sound of his mixes.

Mixing in many ways, makes or breaks a record in this day and age because there is so much amateur recording going on in Pro Tools. The high end mixer is required to do additional production. That only comes from experience.

Heed the knowledge from the ones that have truly been in the trenches. Not the ones that you have read about on a website or a magazine.

Shan
02-01-2005, 03:20 AM
Charles does not have that many mix credits (as far as pro mixers go) but he is treated as a bit of an icon on the Digi site because of mixing one Ricky Martin record. He didn't even mix the follow up record.

Umm....ok... A bit of an icon? Absolutely. One of THE pioneers of ITB mixing. And the first one to have a #1 track mixed ITB. He was one of the few and first who jumped right in there.

An icon here at the digi site cause of mixing Ricky? I'd have to say no. It's more like his willingness to share everything he has learnt as an engineer and his great ability to teach and educate us 'up and comers' in a clear and unconfusing way.

If you go to All Music.com you will see that most of his credits are for engineering. He has not mixed one major label record since doing "Livin' la Vida Loca" in 2002. Judge for yourself and use your ears. Here are his credits since mixing Ricky's record in 2002 according to All Music Guide.

You better do some more research Since when is allmusic.com the 'the grand all discography' of what people have done? I gues mixing Sammy Hagar, Julio Iglesias, Jon Bon Jovi and Gloria Estefan etc doesnt count because they are all unknown indie artists. And I wouldnt rely on allmusic.com if they told you 'Vida Loca' was in 2002. It was 1999.

But never mind those above unknown indie artists. What about some of the great song writers like Desmond Child he's worked with? But as you'll find in your research, Desmond hasnt done anything major either. Maybe a jingle or two.

Not to mention that he started his engineering carrer in 92. In 7 years he accomplished what many of us only dream about. Those are pretty good stats if you ask me.

Looks like he's not getting mix work these days.

Umm...ok...The guy practically mixes everyday. Not to mention he's been producing alot also. And teaching.

So what's all the fuss about and why is he the PT's authority on mixing?

Who says he's the authority? He's allowed to have fans, admirers and students is he not? And we are some of them. He also has a great gift to educate and impart knowledge.

If the music industry loved his mixes he would be mixing 10 to 20 albums a year after doing such a big hit like "Livin' la Vida Loca".

Charles is so busy mixing and producing he finds it tough to be a guest moderator at a few of the places he's been invited to moderate.

Charles has mixed about 20 major to small label records in his entire career according to All Music Guide (not that AMG is completely accurate but you get the picture) On the oppsite end of the scale, Tom Lord Alge mixed 40+ records in 2004 alone. I'm not insulting his work..I'm just trying to maintain some perspective for those of you that cling on to every word of advice that he gives.

Tom has some amazing stuff. But does he also Produce, engineer, mix and teach. Charles is a man of many hats.

Cling to every word of advice that he gives? Well, I can only speak for myself, but there are a few things I tried of his that just dont work for me at all. There are also some methods from him I use and other methods from him that I felt like I took to a new direction. It's all part of learning and getting more experience.

I am sure he will respond to your post and answer all your questions for you. He does show up now and then on the DUC.

Shane

kastadyne
02-01-2005, 08:32 AM
This is in response to Brubacher's post. At the harddisklife.com site, there are only the Charles Dye articles (which are there in the Digizine archives, anyway). The audio files are NOT there... I have searched high and low for them at the site. There was no note or explanation for this one way or other at the site - which gives an unprofessional air, I thought.

BTW, the 25% discount on the new book/DVD by C.Dye was first extended to Jan 31st. And now on 1 Feb, it has been further extended to 30 February. As marketing, it's fine by me... but then, does February have 30 days?!

ckevperry
02-01-2005, 09:35 AM
Boneboy,

Allmusic not entirely accurate? That is an understatement.

I'll tell you this....Charles would not consider himself an authority. In fact his mindset is exactly opposite yours. He is one of the most open, kind big credit engineers I've come across. He is an open book both willing and ready to teach and (heres the important part) BE taught. Regardless of status, credit or whatever... His talent PLUS that is what really makes him stand apart in my mind.

If you think authority is too strong a word....I guess its your right to state that and take a shot at him. But I believe it says more about you and your work than about Charles.

Drew Mazurek
02-01-2005, 01:32 PM
artistsdirect.com is better, although far from perfect.

rumblemix
02-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Hi.

My first post here.

Joined quite a while ago.

Just gotta come outta 'lurk mode' and say...

The world is full of "threatened" AE's.

They are hilariously easy to spot on the internet.

They have enough time, negative energy and personal feelings of inadaquecy to put up something like a post besmirching the reputation of a person who is clearly a much loved and truly appreciated member of the online AE community.

I assure you: You couldn't GET any one of those "A call" mix AE's you're going on about, to waste the bandwidth publicly badmouthing a guy like Charles.

All of those cats you mentioned are class acts. If any of them HAD the time to post.... posting this type of BS would never cross their minds.

Dude.

Get a life.

And more importantly....

Go make some records.

Whether they sell or not.

Whether AMG credits you for them or not.

Really.

It's a great experience.

Try it.

Beats skulking around 'credits sites' on the internet, looking for trouble to cause.

RM.

vaseline
02-01-2005, 09:14 PM
What I find amazing is the generous nature of Charles being brought into question by....well questionable people.

When I look across the substance of just this thread alone I find a huge amount of people very grateful and appreciative of Charles contributions, and then a handful of naysayers with nothing really to add except pontificating about 'Brand Name" mixers vs, Charles who is very supportive of this community.

Not to imply that Charles is not a "Brand Name" I for one find him very authoritative as do the majority of posters on this thread.

Of course someone as generous as Charles doesn't have time to respond to the negative acid flung out like so much vitrol, and for that we are grateful.

thanks again Charles, may the Lord reward your generous and community spirit with more than to much.

barish
02-01-2005, 09:55 PM
Another lurker here who's never bothered posting...

...until now.

First:

Charles is a dude.

I know him.

He's one of the most generous people you can ever find in an industry full of sorry cynics.

Like the one we are all witnessing today.

AMG lists mean everything.

Until you get your name in it.

Grammy is an award other people give you for they think you've done a great job.

But no award can match the satisfaction you get when you hear the last piece of music you've just cut that sounds great.

And once you see that the size of that list doesn't bring you happiness after all...

...you realize that you need more music to make you happy instead.

And you stop playing to the gallery.

Charles is one of those guys.

He doesn't make music to fill up some trainspotter's online log.

He makes music because that's what he wants to do.

He doesn't claim to be an authority. He never claimed to be an authority.

But the fact is, he is an authority.

For me anyway.

The difference between those cynics and Charles is...

Charles never goes online and talks down on other people's activities.

...and when he writes on a discussion board, he doesn't hide himself behind monikers.

...he writes as Charles Dye. He stands behind every word he says.

And for that reason, I take pleasure in defending a friend like him in any weather.

Charles is a great guy.

Not for what he mixed and what he won.

But for who he is.

You need to get out more buddy.

Find yourself a better hobby.

Try music.

The best.

Barish.

malice6
02-01-2005, 10:01 PM
hmmmm,

Boneboy

I got to be honest here, Rumblemix just told me that our friend Charles was flamed by some member at the DUC...

You know, internet is a strange thing.

People I admired from their names and work ( and I mean by that REAL icon ) lost my respect as absolute nobodies gained it. And you know why ? because contrary as you might think, you can't fake too much when you are writing pages and pages about this craft, there is always some point when your true quality and personality becomes obvious to the community.
Sometimes it takes me a hundred post (like Charles) sometimes less than 20 is required.

I don't listen to the music Charles is mixing. That is a question of taste. I even had a bit of an argument with him as I'm not too much into mixing in the box if I have the choice. But I do apreciate his intelligence, insight, friendship and most of all, the time he is spending to share his knowledge with others.

And by the way, that is what this forum and many other board is all about. You should judge a member by what he writes instead of what he is credited for.

Otherwise how could we even consider your recent contribution

See my point ?

malice

Jakeman
02-01-2005, 10:17 PM
From vaseline

Of course someone as generous as Charles doesn't have time to respond to the negative acid flung out like so much vitrol, and for that we are grateful.

thanks again Charles, may the Lord reward your generous and community spirit with more than to much.

But he did take the time to email me back when I sent him an email on the great job he did on the Crease CD. I waited a long time for that CD to hear what the final mix and after mastering would be like.

kastadyne, give Donny an email and he'll send you to where the files are. Check his profile for the email address.

archtop
02-01-2005, 10:38 PM
Charles is respected, because of Integrity, professionalism, and skills.

In this little Internet thing, you get a fair idea of a persons abilities.

If he were talking shyte, we'de let him have it, both barrels, but it appears that priveledge goes to bonehead boneboy.

Charles has earned his respect. now it's your turn.

Seeee
02-02-2005, 08:34 AM
so bonehead.. what hits have you mixed, engineered, interned?

basically.... who are you and why should we care?

maybe there's more to this then the "mix". try charlie is a person that SHARES his knowledge and treats people well. both beginners and obvious PRO'S such as yourself. you dont have to mix hit records to impact peoples lives.

try it sometime. it goes a lot further than mixing "hits".

6X 2
02-02-2005, 01:42 PM
It's really easy to throw dirt on somebody like Charles Dye, isn't it. It's nice and anonymous for Mr. No-Boner to share his profound thoughts about a man who's not only a serious mixer, educator and a well-respected member of the online audio community.

Show some bloody respect or face the consequences, Boney M.

6x2

tptman
02-04-2005, 04:46 PM
You know, if those "name" mixers ever took the time to educate huge masses of people, for no benefit other than the purest kind, then they'd have the same kind of following that Charles does... if they were as genuine, helpful, and sharing as he is.

Charles is big time. He is a big time engineer, a big time mixer, and maybe most importantly, a big time educator. There are FAR too few of those in the world.

Donny
02-07-2005, 08:50 AM
Hey everyone,

To download the sessions click on my Username to see my profile. My email address is in there. Send an email with the subject "Charles Dye Sessions" and I'll send you all the server and download info. Thanks!

Thanks to Charles Dye for those excellent HDL articles/sessions. I've learned so much from his words of wisdom that he's offered so generously. I hope he (or Digi) doesn't mind us running the server with those sessions.

Anyway - check my profile and shoot an email with the subject "Charles Dye Sessions" to get the sessions. Thanks!

-Donny

scotsman
02-07-2005, 09:33 AM
Whether you agree with someone’s technique or not you learn from it, you can adapt, it gives you a mark to judge yourself against and improve from.

I can say that I have definitely learned from the majority of the posts/articles I have read on the Digidesign site (some more than others !!).

And one that’s stands out is the series from Charles (also "Enuff Q: How about some tips..." from Producer).

A book developed from these would be one I would buy and since Charles is already doing that, he has my respect.

regards
Scotsman

Mixerman
02-07-2005, 02:08 PM

Flame away

It seems that my post was invisibly edited by the powers that be here at the DUC. For some reasons, they remove certain words that are used to make a point. Their watered down version is unacceptable to me. Further, I refuse to have my words changed without some kind of indication that they have BEEN changed. Therefore, if you would like to read my missive on this subject, you'll have to read it at my place, as it was intended to be read.

Here's the link (http://marsh.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/70508/?SQ=eccfeefd3d079ab250150c85ca119e20#msg_70508)

Thanks,

Mixerman

Kenny Gioia
02-07-2005, 07:24 PM
I, unlike Mixerman, do hang out here. Quite often really.

Let's just say that I "do" dig this format.

You may know me from that "Enuff Q how about some tips" thread

You must understand something. Digital technology is still in its infancy.

Guys like Charles are giving you the best information out there and there's just not much of it.

We're all here for the same reason. To learn. Some of us while we teach.

Be thankful that the knowledgable are willing to share. It's all you've got.

Most of the real Heavies are still mixing outside the box. They can't teach you much in this particular arena. I promise. I've re-learned alot to mix in that stinkin' (yet wonderful) box.

So we are the pioneers. Charles, Me and some of the rest of you.

So putting down Charles is similar to putting down Rupert Neve or Les Paul.

The best is yet to come my dear friends.

So stay tuned. Or as Mixerman so eloquently put it, bug off. (that word sounds different ITB)

barish
02-08-2005, 03:03 AM
Just saw your full post in Marsh, Mixerman.

Wish I had a way with words like you do.

Love ya man, God bless.

B.

magicchord
02-08-2005, 08:54 AM
Charles Dye is a damn good mixer, and a damn good sport for putting up with some of the crap he's gotten from troglodytes on the interweb.

Avid
02-08-2005, 09:20 AM
It seems that my post was invisibly edited by the powers that be here at the DUC.

2 obscene words were removed, the same as they would be if anyone else had posted on our company website. As an author, you should be able to express yourself without profanity, just like the other 50,000 DUC members manage to do. Profanity is a violation of the DUC Terms of Use (http://www.digidesign.com/aboutus/legal/duc.html) that you agreed to when you became a member.

Commercial posts are also not allowed, so if your purpose is to stir up controversy just to get people to go to your bookstore, then that will also not be allowed. If you can follow the rules like everyone else, then you are welcome to post here. Or not...entirely up to you.

FajitaTone
02-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Charles is a man among men. Almost SUPER Human. I'm tired of people that flame for no reason other than it makes them feel better about themselves. Apparently there are some insecure people out there. I agree with all that say Charles is a great mixer, and certainly one of the best ITB mixers on the planet. If I knew a 64th of what he does about ProTools, I'd still be a newbie. I have been to seminars where he has given out AMAZING amounts of information, and in ENGLISH, not AEspeak. Don't try and cover your own sorry butt by bashing someone that's better than you. Better at mixing AND a better PERSON overall.

Charles, you rock!

sugarfuzz
02-08-2005, 11:46 AM
Flame away

And flame we will.

What a pecker!

Charles is an Icon in the audio mixing, engineering WORLD not just the DUC.

Ever wish you could just take some things back?

sugarfuzz
02-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Oh by the way....... Great book Mixerman!

Skwaidu
02-08-2005, 04:44 PM
Critisizing Charles' advice for the apparent reason that he lacks more than a handful of SUPER-successes, which are only a lifelong dream to your average Joe AE/ Producer... (99%, right? )

...Never minding that he HAS those, and that he's been making a living in the upper ecehlons of this AE business for some time now, which is INSANELY hard to acquire and especially maintain...

Has to be one of the most retarded things I ever heard.

In fact it only proves that the original poster is still in his/ her earliest stages of the learning curve on the road to good audio engineering or mixing. The ones a little farther that road usually are able to at least comprehend how much they DON'T know, and how much folks like Charles do.

He is a wonderful mixer and engineer, a wonderful online persona and obviously a VERY decent human being, so cut the crap, willya!!

(Oh btw, so he has done tracking jobs? Did you even realise that tracking AEs tend to be pretty darn important when you have real world-class musicians playing... If you can mix a little but you suck at tracking you really are north worth anything as an AE IMHO)

Robocop
02-08-2005, 07:46 PM
this is very interesting.

the face of hypocrisy and arrogance standing tall.

why is it so hard for people to look at themselves in the mirror?

ah yes,

the face of hypocrisy and arrogance .

you wouldn't want it staring back at you if it could reveal who you really are.

ehh.... everybody is entitled to their thoughts and opinions.

some just keep it to themselves.

others need to hear themselves speak.

so what does this really have to do with charles?

Seeee
02-09-2005, 02:02 PM
he comes "underdog" to save the day.

robo "looking for any opportunity to bust mm's balls" cop.

seriously. this IS about charles and the lack of respect some people have for SUCCESSFUL engineers.

sound familiar?

Robocop
02-09-2005, 03:45 PM
hey seeker,

charles is well respected by many for obvious and clear reasons that are real and tangible.

but there are others who make wild and distorted claims just to draw attention to themselves.

guess what, nobody really cares that much.

best,

robocop

barish
02-09-2005, 04:25 PM
huh?

wha'?

Thought I heard something...

Anyway, never mind. Where were we?

myshell
02-09-2005, 05:24 PM
I found Charles' articles very informative and helpful when I first got
my Pro Tools system.

I think his work is inspirational for those of us who work "inside the box".

He even took the time to e-mail me words of encouragement.

I think he's a pretty nice guy...

Myshell

Dimension Zero
02-09-2005, 07:11 PM
I just wanted to say that Charles Dye's teaching technique has greatly improved my understanding and ability to mix.

I purchased my first DAW a few years ago (Pro Tools Mix Plus) and had never used an EQ or Compressor. I didn't have any experience with hardware either. Started out "Mixing In The Box."

Since I didn't have the experience with analogue gear it was very difficult to figure out what the hell I was doing with a mix system. I purchased a couple books on mixing but the problem was they didn't have any audible examples (no a/b'ing) and their gear was different from my software "gear." I also purchased a couple of books on mastering. What I found was a lot of philosophy but nothing that really showed me how to implement that philosophy. I think technology was a factor but so was fear. The cooks didn't want their secret recipes to be known.

Then Charles Dye comes out and lays it all on the table. He's using the same tools I'm using, and shows the plug-in settings and the before/after results, and describes the philosophy behind it. To someone that has never worked in a mixing studio or even with a mixing engineer this information was priceless. Suddenly those plug-ins were worth all the $$$ I payed for them now that I could actually USE them.

I will be purchasing his DVD mixing course and it looks like others have followed his lead. I recently purchased Wave's mixing courses.

I hope other mixers follow his lead. Now, more than ever (because of the huge increase in DAWs), is this information needed. It's only going to increase the quality of music and increase the competition. I think that's a great thing.

boneboy
02-09-2005, 09:34 PM
I want to apologize to Charles and all that were offended by my post. I only meant to ask some very blunt questions out of curiosity. I now realized it caused only negativity and was uncalled for. It seems from the above posts that Charles has helped many people down the Pro Tools path.

After a hard day at the music industry, it is easy to come home feeling very cynical. I should not have dumped that on this thread.

I request that the moderator delete it if it would help keep the post on topic.

I regret the post and ask for Charles and the DUC's forgiveness.

Jakeman
02-09-2005, 10:14 PM
Thanks boneboy!! Apology accepted.

Shan
02-10-2005, 02:21 AM
I want to apologize to Charles and all that were offended by my post. I only meant to ask some very blunt questions out of curiosity. I now realized it caused only negativity and was uncalled for. It seems from the above posts that Charles has helped many people down the Pro Tools path.

After a hard day at the music industry, it is easy to come home feeling very cynical. I should not have dumped that on this thread.

Wow!! I was wondering when you were going to respond and I really wasn't expecting that answer.

Thanks for the apology. And thanks for coming forward and doing that BB!!

You can reach Charles at [email protected] That address is on his homepage www.charlesdye.com (http://www.charlesdye.com.) He was made aware of the post but being the very positive guy he is, he doesnt respond to posts like that.

Unfortunately you will also find that your post started spreading like wildfire through the AE community such as here at Gearslutz (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3?s=2d81e706252e5b270b541d3bc448c4a6&threadid=27312) and MARSH (http://marsh.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/5094/?SQ=2a032e7ac16207aef0544ff128c86150) and who knows where else. So there might be a bit of ammends to do. I'm sure most will accept the apology.

Here is a quote that I like from Charles. It's from Hard Disk Life 03.01.2003:

"As you continue to grow in your career keep this in mind: The difference between "name" engineers and good engineers who don't have their pictures in magazines is luck and good fortune...maybe. There are many brilliant engineers in the world and whether they are in MIX magazine or not does not define their abilities."

Charles you Rock dude!

Charles is also planning to do a Mix Workshop tour. Come on out Boneboy, if he is in your area. It will be very educational. You will find that Charles is not only willing to educate but he is also willing to learn new things himself. Maybe we can learn some cool stuff from you and some of your methods to mixing. It's all about learning, getting more experience, coming up with new and creative methods, swapping ideas and having fun. Because after all, we all share the love of music and experimenting with sound.

Shane

barish
02-10-2005, 03:18 AM
That's dignified, BB. Thank you for coming forward. I'm sure Charles also accepts the apology too.

malice6
02-10-2005, 05:17 AM

Now THAT is impressive

thumbs up

malice

sugarfuzz
02-10-2005, 12:27 PM
Yeah, that takes a set of balls.
Good way to come back and handle this.

Peace

Seeee
02-10-2005, 01:16 PM
bb? as in bbchessman? Bob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Shan
02-10-2005, 02:07 PM

bb as in boneboy.

barish
02-10-2005, 04:29 PM

I can't believe you said that kerian

studiojimi
02-10-2005, 05:20 PM
robocop is very very correct

this thread is NOT really about Charles

it was about the mixerman minion cooalition to show in force their collective mutual hind side kissing society

notice Charles (the virtual nice guy indeed--- he should run for prez) did not need to address this. hes' classier than his new buddies who act like they live on an island.

all those luddites in the marsh who are going belly up with their luddite (tape and vintage) gear are angry men growing older and more full of fear by the day. the phone is not ringing and they can hardly afford head cleaner let alone unavailable tape.

the lesson here as it always will be because most of us can't grasp it is

forgiveness.

how many of us are quick to point the finger and condemn

and use our words as our weapons.

forgiveness.

and what is forgiveness?

well...i can tell you what it is NOT.

when someone aplogizes from their heart and you grant them your so called forgiveness....well

you have not forgiven unless you refuse to bring it up again......think about it.

that is true forgivenss in the truest most spiritual sense

this is the first week of LENT

L .E. N. T

care to join me brothers?

let's eliminate negative thought
L E N T

forget about giving up chocolate cake or almond roca

think a better thought.....give some forgiveness and don't take it back....let go, let God and don't bring it up anymore in celebration of being a TRUE forgiver who doesn't dig up old stale stink that should have been lovingly buried.

don't be like those arrow shooters who bash ProTools and are so arrogant that they think anyone cares what they have to say in here......of all places.....the alsihad sanctuary

it is quite apparant that digi cares not about mixerman and his pigeons

and the one (MM) who recently bannished me in his womb outer kingdoms . . . . .uh the Mixerman censorship thing.... ha ha...payback is a bugger...and look how he whines.....he can dish it out but when he gets a dose of his own medicine he cries like a baby getting snipped by a duckie moil with alzheimers........

most entertaining....nice to see some of the old familiar faces

be blessed brothers and keep smiling because the guys who are working have the best tools and already know how to use them and will continue to love one another

javascript:void(0)

Stevie D
02-10-2005, 08:40 PM
I have audio for HDL 12. It is in the directory HDL12 Automation//cache//media. For some reason there is no audio in the Audio//compressed directory.

Avid
02-11-2005, 07:02 PM
Lets take the personal attacks elsewhere please. The Tips & Techniques forum in particular has always been a bit of a haven from the noise and a place for civil discourse, and we would prefer to keep it that way.

Robocop
02-11-2005, 07:27 PM
"Lets take the personal attacks elsewhere please."

sorry about that digi.

Shan
02-11-2005, 07:30 PM
I have audio for HDL 12. It is in the directory HDL12 Automation//cache//media. For some reason there is no audio in the Audio//compressed directory.

Where would I find this? Would this be found on Donnys' server?

Shane

studiojimi
02-12-2005, 08:44 AM
no foul intended digi.

it was just a bit too much to hold back when i saw the coalition prepping to pounce

all good

carry on.

and robo....call me please

Donny
02-12-2005, 01:55 PM

Where would I find this? Would this be found on Donnys' server?

Shane

No, nobody ever uploaded the audio files for HDL12.

Anyone out there have these and want to do a good deed for your fellow members of the DUC? If so, check my profile and shoot me an email and I'll send you the info you need to upload. Thanks!

-Donny

Donny
02-12-2005, 02:11 PM

If you have the audio for HDL12, it would be fantastic if you would upload it to my server so everyone can get a copy. My email is in my profile. Drop me an email and I'll give you all the server info. Thanks in advance!

-Donny

Donny
02-12-2005, 02:36 PM
[/QUOTE]
No, nobody ever uploaded the audio files for HDL12.

[/QUOTE]
Well, unless he means that they are already in one of the .sit archives on the server and we just didn't notice. Boy, it's been awhile and I don't have the sessions on my PT rig anymore but I think I unstuffed everything, launched all the sessions and let them find the audio files and I'm also pretty sure that all the sessions found their audio except the HDL12 one. Could be wrong, though. I can see on the server that HDL12-Automation.pts is too small in size to contain audio. Anyone still have the sessions handy to check it out? Here's a list of all the archives on the server. If anyone knows if the audio for HD12 is in any of these archives and would be so kind as to point out which one we would all like to hear from you. Thanks!

Copy of Collaborate.sit - 314 MB
HDL7 Crease-Bass+Gtrs.sit - 283 MB
HDL10 Crease-Lead+HarmCOPY.sit - 262 MB
HDL8 Crease-Keys.sit - 278 MB
HDL11 Crease-Stereo Bus.sit - 79 MB
HDL9 Crease-BGs+SoloCOPY.sit - 108 MB
HDL12-Automation.pts - 393 KB
HDL_All_TRACKS2.pts.sit - 223 KB
hdl1_bd_sn_bass.hqx - 918 KB
HDL_All_TRACKS.pts.sit - 222 KB
HDL6 Crease-Drums BncTrx.sit - 93 MB

-Donny

Jakeman
02-12-2005, 06:53 PM
I'm checking it out as I type. Will let you know once its gone through trying to find the audio. As Donny said, its been a while but if I remember correctly there were a lot of bounced tracks that it didn't find because they never existed in any of the HDL sessions. Either way, I'll let you know what I find though.

Jakeman
02-13-2005, 10:26 AM
As I figured, it's still looking for 131 files all of which are bounced tracks. I never did get these tracks so like Donny said in his post, if someone did get these/has these somewhere please let him know.

As a side question, who has bought the CD "Only Human" that this song is on? I did so I could hear what the mastering on the track was like. The rest of the CD is excellent.

Donny
02-13-2005, 12:14 PM
Thanks for taking the time to check it out, Jakeman. There has to be someone out there that still has the audio file for HDL12. Anyone? We'll have everything if we can just get those audio files.

Stevie D
02-14-2005, 02:14 PM
Sorry guys, been busy in the studio. Yeah, I have them. Being it's v-day, I might not get to looking into uploading them until tomorrow. Also, I don't upload very often, so be patient.

Steve

Shan
02-14-2005, 02:59 PM
Sorry guys, been busy in the studio. Yeah, I have them. Being it's v-day, I might not get to looking into uploading them until tomorrow. Also, I don't upload very often, so be patient.

Steve

Great news. We've been looking for these for awhile. Thanks.

Shane

subskin
02-14-2005, 04:44 PM
Hey Donny - just wanted to say hi from a fellow protooler in Pacifica.

I have had the pleasure of working with and hanging out with Charles more than once and all I can say is he is a true gentleman, a great mixer and a wealth of good knowledge for anyone willing to listen. and more should.

As I sat watching the Grammies last night , trying to put myself in the shoes of anyone who was nominated much less winning a grammy or performing there - all the while realizing that I will most likely never be there at all - Charles has at least walked the walk once and for that he has huge respect from me...

Donny
02-15-2005, 09:55 AM
Hi subskin,

Very cool - a fellow Pacifican! It's kind of nasty here today, though. I (bass player) had a few jam sessions with a guitar player and singer that had a band that recorded at a Pro Tools studio in Pacifica. I wonder if you're the guy. The guitar player was doing a lot of cool guitar synth stuff - very unique style of guitar playing a the singer had a sort of Jim Morrison vibe. Don't know if that rings a bell.

-Donny

Donny
02-15-2005, 10:00 AM

Steve

Hi Steve,

That's very cool! There's a lot of folks around here that are going to be very appreciative. I've already recevied emails from folks wanting me to let them know when the audio from HDL12 is on the server. When you get a chance - click on my profile to get my email address and shoot me an email and I'll send you all the instructions. Thanks!

-Donny

subskin
02-15-2005, 04:11 PM
Hey Donny -

Yeah pouring cats and dogs! Actually my studio in Pacifica is primarily my Midi/writing set up at my house -
Lots of Hardware midi direct into PT. I haven't worked with any bands in Pacifica, thougfh it's interesting to know that there is another person in our little town using PT!

lets meet up at Winters one night and talk shop! -

[email protected]

Sorry for hijacking the thread, all...

Sub

Stevie D
02-15-2005, 07:40 PM
It should be in the "incoming" folder.

I checked the session out prior to compressing it... it should all be there.

Enjoy guys!

steve

Jakeman
02-15-2005, 08:06 PM
Thanks Steve. Now we just need Donny to put it into the Charles Dye folder.

Donny
02-16-2005, 12:12 AM
The file Steve uploaded is only 120 bytes, so something went wrong. I've sent an email to Steve to see if we can work it out.

To all the guys that are emailing me about getting the new file - sit tight and I promise I'll get the file moved over to the /pub dir as soon as I can once it's uploaded.

-Donny

Stevie D
02-16-2005, 10:26 AM
Patience guys,

I've got a lot of things on my plate. Everything is in the session, I checked it out before I tried the upload yesterday. All the automation works on my 01V96, and all the audio is there.

The session folder is 1.9G, so I need to check out the cache folder in the session to see if it's duplicated the audio files... that's just too big.

My dropstuff turns it into a sitx, rather than .sit. Anybody know why that is?

I'm using an evaluation copy of Transit, which times out every 10min. Not enough time to get it uploaded. I've never needed the full version because I could download everything I need in 10 min.
I'm working with Donny for an alternative method.

Steve

Donny
02-16-2005, 01:33 PM
Thanks, Steve! I'm working on an email to send you now.

-Donny

Donny
02-19-2005, 09:49 AM
Quick update:

Steve uploaded the audio for HDL12 to the server but Jakeman, who's doing the testing since I don't have access to my PT rig now, reported that the file is not un-stuffing correctly and is hanging on a particular file. I'm now downloading the .sit file and am going to try to see if there's a way I can unstuff them in Windows or Linux and if that works, I can stuff them again and upload the new file for Jakeman to download and test again. If someone else would like to try to download the HDL12 file, test it and report back their findings that would be great too. There's 2 on there now - it's the large one called "HDL12 Crease-Automation.sit".

To the folks that emailed about getting the sessions whom I asked to hold off for a couple of days until we get the new audio uploaded: go ahead and have at it and thanks for being patient.

-Donny

gonzo99
02-20-2005, 07:33 AM
Donny!

Just wanna say thanks for making these files available. I've had at it already and will give the HDL12 a go on linux too. This is a very cool thing for you and Steve to do. Thanks heaps from a grateful beginner

gonzo

Just realised ... won't be able to try the sessions until Wednesday, but I'll have a go at unstuffing HDL12 and let u know how it goes.

Donny
03-06-2005, 03:06 PM
We now have HDL 12, complete with audio files, on the server. The new file is called "Copy of HDL12-Automation.sitx" and it contains the session folder with the audio files folder and session inside, etc. The old version without the audio has been removed.

One note about the new HDL 12 session - it is in the .sitx format, which requires Aladdin's Stuffit Expander v.7.0 or higher to expand. The latest version of Stuffit Expander should be available for download at http://www.stuffit.com. I believe you can download the trial version of Stuffit Standard but Stuffit Expander doesn't expire with the trial.

So we now have all of CD's HDL sessions. Whooohooo! I can't wait to get my new home studio built so I can check out the new session myself! Thanks to Stevie D for uploading the new session and also to Jakeman for all his help putting it all together as well as testing and uploading it. We ran in to a few snags but thanks to the efforts of these guys it's now up there. Stevie D also invested a little money purchasing an ftp client application.

To download the new session (or any of the others) send me an email (my email address is in my profile) with the subject "Charles Dye Sessions" and I'll send you the download instructions. I'm usually pretty quick to respond but sometimes I'm away from my computer so it could take a few days to get back to you, although that doesn't happen too often.

-Donny

Donny
03-07-2005, 02:10 PM
I forgot to mention that the server info is the same as before so if you've already downloaded the other sessions, need to download HDL 12 and still have the info I sent from before, you can use the same info to log on to the server and get HDL 12. Thanks!

-Donny

Donny
04-21-2005, 09:04 PM
Hey all,
I no longer have access to the T1 and the server the sessions were being hosted on so, I'm sorry to say, the sessions are no longer available. I haven't received any emails requesting the download info for a couple of weeks so, hopefully, everyone wanting the sessions got them. It's been a real pleasure being able to contribute to the folks on the DUC in this way and many kudos to those kind and helpful folks that helped get everything up on the server.

-Donny

Jakeman
04-28-2005, 05:14 PM
Thanks Donny for hosting this info while you could. And I also would like to thank all that helped me out to get things over to Donny.

Shan
09-09-2005, 09:40 PM
We need someone to take over the hosting now.

Shane

giffinmike
09-09-2005, 10:18 PM
Does anyone know of anyway to maybe still get all the HDL sessions mentioned in the earlier threads. I am probably to late. If anyone knows or can help, it would be so appreciated greatly for someone desperatley trying to get ahold of these.

Cheers

giffinmike

Cliffy_Boy
09-09-2005, 10:25 PM
You can get Charles' 'Mix it Like a record' which has the sessions and audio files of a big mix. MiLaR (http://www.kagimedia.com/)

Jakeman
10-01-2005, 02:16 PM
The MiLaR DVD is great. Even for those who don't use Pro Tools. I got my copy finally last week Thursday and found it to be very informative. Though I can't run all the sessions as I don't have that long list of plug-ins that Charles uses, though you do get to listen to the differences it make as he turns each one on in the DVD movie section so you can hear the difference it makes. Great work again Charles.

Jakeman
10-07-2005, 11:20 AM
For those still looking for these sessions here is what I've done. I've put .sit files for all the sessions on a DVD-R. For all those whom want a copy drop me a email and I'll send it to you. All I ask for in return is for the cost of shipping in Canada & USA, the DVD-R, and jewel case. $5 CND. I have a Paypal account which I'd prefer to use.

NakedI
10-07-2005, 12:03 PM
How long did it take you to get your DVD. Ordered mine on Sept 20th and still no DVD!!! Kagi Media has a way to go before I consider them professional. They say there is no tracking number for the DVD that i paid $10 for shipping!!! What the hell???

filosofem
10-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Ordered mine on Sept 20th and still no DVD!!! Kagi Media has a way to go before I consider them professional.

That's interesting, I live in New Zealand and I got mine within a week of ordering.

I found their correspondence to be fair, but lacking some kind of feedback forum, maybe they are confident their product will reach it's destination.

NakedI
10-07-2005, 02:25 PM
That's the feeling I got... I was told that they shipped hundreds of DVDs and never had one, not arrive at the destination... I was the first... Good to see that they have a divine connection with the mail service... I find the customer support non-existant, cold, and unhelpful ( I guess that falls under non-existant). It was kinda implied that I was trying to pull one over on them. "It's too early to have a replacement sent out... It's too early to to be concerned ( this was ten days after the oder was placed. I did not know of hear of a company that ships DVD once a week... I worked for Sam Ash back in the early 90's (Pro Audio) and understand the need for once or twice a week shipping i.e large items but DVDs once a week... come on now). If this is the case then they should have a way to track the merchandise sent out, one cannot be that careless in this age of technology and tracking all types of stuff... This is a company that promotes technology.. Anyways I am upset because I wanted to apply some of the techniques I might learn on the DVD to the projects I am currently working on...

BTW... I don't support piracy of intellectual property...

Shan
10-10-2005, 01:34 PM

NakedI
10-12-2005, 12:26 PM
OK... Jonathan Kagi stepped in via email. Kagi Media send out a DVD (overnight) after I verified that I still did not receive the original order. 22 days later, I am MiLaR'd. I want to thank Jon for stepping in and making the situation right. I don't know who was fielding my original customer calls/complaints, but the tone and energy exuded on those calls made me re-think, dealing with Kagi. I don't know if the rep was tired, indifferent, frustrated with life, or just depressed (this was on every call), but it was hard trying to get basic answers other than "hey man.. it shipped". Well, I won't dwell on it, just wanted you all to know the matter is resolved, and I am in learning mode. Kagi seems to be a good company, just weird customer support. I will probably pick up the other DVDs, just gotta make sure they're sent via Fedex or UPS.

OK... Kagi.. thumb(s) up... (but with a strained smile)