PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Plugs in Waves Platinum or Renaissance...

jordan23
02-22-2004, 10:59 AM
Just curious what everyones favorite plugs and possible seetings in Waves are - I am fairly new to the Waves Platinum and could really use some helpful tips - Really diggin the RBass right now...

Andrew_k
02-23-2004, 07:22 PM
I use Ren. RVerb often for acoustic guitars. L2 on the master fader, also the PAZ metres just to keep a closer eye on some levels. There was a thread a little while ago listing some links to download plugin presets, you might find this helpful.

Cheers

rockrev
02-23-2004, 09:13 PM
Well, hands down the RComp is the sweetest sounding compressor plug-in. I don't think there's any way to make it sound bad (ok, well that's debatable). The factory presets are also good (I use the "Drums" and "Electric Guitar" settings all the time . . . tweaked to taste, of course). It's also my favorite master bus compressor too.

If you need some quick vocal magic, try RVox. Don't worry about the gate if you clean up your vocals in the editing. Just pull the comp. toggle down (shoot for an ave. of 3db reduction) and watch your output for clipping. Oh, and RVox can work as a quick and dirty compressor for just about anything mono. If you're new to compressors, it's a good one to start with.

Here's a quick compression tip. You may need it, you may not. If you have a hard time setting your compressor on a master bus (compressing the whole mix) try this:

1. Insert Waves RComp and select the preset "Mastering Hard."
2. Disable the ARC and adjust your ratio to 5:1.
3. Set the attack time as slow as possible - the release time as fast as possible.
4. Play the song and listen with headphones on.
5. Pull the threshold down so that you're getting at least 3db of reduction.
6. Now drag the attack time toggle - slowly increasing the attack speed. When you hear the volume just start to dampen, stop. The compressor is kicking in. Now drag the attack time back just a little bit.
7. And now for the release time. This really varies from song to song, so I'll try to explain it as best as possible. If your song is a rocker, you may want a little pump. In that case, slowly drag the release time so that the attenuation (reduction) meter flickers with the beat of the song (try soloing the snare for a more visual aid). Even then, you may want to pull back a little. If you don't want pump (which I usually don't) adjust for the smoothest sound and engage the ARC (auto release control). The ARC really helps w/ transients and smooths out the compression in general.
8. Now that your attack/release times are set, set your ratio to 2:1 (a light/moderate compression ratio). Readjust your threshold as needed (remember, shoot for an ave. of 3db reduction).
9. Adjust your output (makeup) gain so that it peaks just under 0db (I always shoot for -0.5 db). The RComp has a built in peak limiter, so you can hit zero if you want. For me, the L2 handles that job just fine.

Enjoy your Waves plug-ins!

rockrev

nightshadecrisis
02-27-2004, 12:55 PM
I just got these plugins, so I'm trying to figure out which ones are best. Question though....why so many compressors? do they each have their own color to them? are ones just fancier than others?

currently im playing around with doppler. that thing is CRAZY!

rockrev
02-27-2004, 02:40 PM
Yes. Each of the compressors perform better with certain applications (though there are no rules).

RVox is like you probably guessed, a compressor with vocals in mind. It's also the simplest Waves comp to operate (Gate, Threshold, Output Adjust).

The legendary C1 is the "Swiss Army Knife" of plug-in comps. It can be used for about any gate/comp/limit/de-essing need, but I find it more useful for fixing problems - not for adding tone or presence.

If you want to add tone or a warm presence with a comp, try the RComp. It emulates some of the higher priced outboard gear (opto compressors, etc.) and does it quite well. In fact, I think it's one of the best sounding comp plug-ins you can find. It's extremely useful on submixes (like drums) and as a master bus compressor (my personal fav).

The C4 is a multiband compressor. You won't find much use for it on individual tracks (except maybe drums) but who knows (remember, no rules). It's meant to be used in the mastering stage (I find it a perfect "dynamic EQ" device - thought the LMB Comp is even better).

The LMB is an improved C4 (see above) and meant for mastering.

The L1 is my favorite limiter as far as individual tracks go (it can really level out a bass quite beautifully). And maybe it's me, but it does seem to add a little something to the tone too (call it a "sparkle"). You can also use it as a master limiter (use the L1+) but the L2 is now the king in that department.

The L2 is THE DADDY of all master limiters (as far as plug-ins go). Use this to bring your song's volume level up to par with today's discs. It can also add dither w/ noise shapping (as can the L1+).

Anyway, that's the quick and dirty of it.

rockrev

orage
03-03-2004, 10:39 AM
There was a thread a little while ago listing some links to download plugin presets, you might find this helpful.

Try looking here. (http://www.digitalaudiorock.com/cgi-bin/coop/download.cgi)