PDA

View Full Version : Best control surface?

amundsen
02-17-2004, 12:46 AM
Hello,

Is anyone using one of these machines to control Pro Tools instead of using Pro Control or Control|24?

Are they as handy as the control surfaces from Digidesign both for mixing and for plug-in control?

Which one has the most silent faders?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Amundsen

tomcat
02-19-2004, 05:29 PM
What machines are you referring to? The hui is great. If you can't afford a ProControl, i think you should get a used hui. I like it much better than a mackie control. I used a hui for three years solid with absolutely no complaints. Doing full feature film mixes. Then I switched to a pro control because i found one for a song. I love it. almost two years with that now and i have to say it is great. My hands know it well by now and i am very comfortable ,mixing on it. I just wish it had more faders without getting so damn big. Enter the control 24. Very nice desk with a luxurious amount of faders, usable surround panning, excellent plugin control, and a decent control room section. Big problem with that is the rattley faders. Makes it unusable for me. Can't FEEL the mix of a reel of film with the chattering of 24 cheap plastic faders filling the room. If that doesn't bother you, it is great.
I may not have given the mackie control a fighting chance. Only used it on one job for a couple of days. It is much less of a machine than a hui in features and build quality i think.

best,

tom

dr sound
02-28-2004, 04:02 PM
Poster: tomcat
Subject: Re: Best control surface?
SNIP
My hands know it well by now and i am very comfortable ,mixing on it. I just wish it had more faders without getting so damn big. Enter the control 24. Very nice desk with a luxurious amount of faders, usable surround panning, excellent plugin control, and a decent control room section. Big problem with that is the rattley faders. Makes it unusable for me. Can't FEEL the mix of a reel of film with the chattering of 24 cheap plastic faders filling the room. If that doesn't bother you, it is great.
SNIP
best,

tom

Tom,
I have to disagree with you about the Control 24. Done many a Feature Film on them and they work fine. I like the faders better than the PC. Those faders are spaced too far apart for my likes. Bang for the buck the Control 24 can't be beat. I understand why people like the Pro Control. With the Control 24, I like having 24 faders in front of me. Now the HUI is fine if you don't mind the fader resolution and lag. I couldn't get used to that. However for a person with a limited budget, the Hui is a good start.