PDA

View Full Version : Synchronizing samples with click for live

music
04-02-2003, 06:54 PM
I am recording a band that wants to use the samples we record in the studio for live gigs. They will be using a minidisc. I have seen drummers do this live where they have the samples and click in their headphones and just the samples out of the mains. How do they do it? I will be recording the band to a click track just need to know how to get it to minidisc so they can use for live gigs.

Thanks,

Any help appreciated.

Keith

D Clarkson
04-03-2003, 12:36 AM
I just did a gig last weekend with a minidisc.
It's a Yamaha 4-track.
We use it for backing vox,percussion and ofcourse the clicktrack.
Unfortunately the discs you need also HAVE to be 4-track...which are hard to find images/icons/frown.gif
What we did was sending the vocals to for example output 1-2,the percussion and/or samples on output 3,panned hard-left and the click on output 4,panned hard-right.
On stage we have a little mixer that goes to the main mixer in the room.
I connect the MD with 3 direct-outputs to 3 inputs of the mixer.
The Yamaha itself also has a little mixer with a 3 band EQ(gain only,but it will do)and faders for every channel.
Everything you mix on your headphones has no effect on the outgoing signal.
If you want I'll check the kind of MD we use.

Hope this helps! images/icons/grin.gif

music
04-03-2003, 05:13 PM
Thanks, I will try some of those ideas out. May be back with more questions.

Thanks,

Keith

digidesigner
04-04-2003, 12:20 AM
You could use regular minidisk but then you need to go MONO as one of two tracks will be for click and you will be needing some kind of headphone amp for a drummer. Multi track minidisk player is good but similar "portastudio" type 8 track harddisk recorder/mixer would be better as it has more tracks and bigger storage. With 4 track minidisk you end up changing disks during the show.
My band has been using Fostex DMT-8vl harddisk recorder for live shows for couple of years now. It also acts as an in-ear monitor mixer as well! (internal tracks + 2 mic inputs + 6 mono + 2 stereo inputs is ok for us)
Good Luck!