PDA

View Full Version : Digidesign and Cubase compatibility

Alab
01-29-2004, 10:15 AM
Need some very basic information,

Is it relatively easy to exchange recording sessions between musicians using Digidesign M-Box or 01 System and others using Cubase products via CD-DVD drive? I guess it is related to the format used to exchange the multitrack files (midi and sound files)?Do you loose sound quality in the conversion?

Cubase products can run on older PC's while Digidesign demands a more performant PC. Can this cause problems if you are only using a CD-DVD drive to exange your files?

Any links I could consult?

Thanks

Alab

SoundWrangler
01-31-2004, 05:38 PM
Your options vary a lot according to which "Cubase product". If it's Cubase SX version 2.0x, OMF import/export is supported. In previous versions, you generally had to bounce individual tracks as separate files (with or without FX inserts, depending), then export a Standard MIDI File (SMF) if MIDI tracks were involved. In any case, assuming you don't go to a lower sample rate or bit-depth, no sound quality is lost in the conversion (especially if you're doing OMF, obviously, since the original files are still being referenced). Be aware that SX lets you mix files with different bit depths or sample rates in the same project, which would of course be unacceptable to PT. SX has a Pool menu command for correcting that problem.

mersisblue
02-01-2004, 01:35 AM
what about cubase SL 2.0

I just ordered it so im assuming 2.0 but is it hard to get the 001 to work with it ?

and I dont have digi translator which is what allows you to import OMF in pro tools right ?

so can they both read AIFF , or WAV ? or some other format they both can use ?

SoundWrangler
02-01-2004, 10:44 AM
Both SX & SL support AIF, WAV & Broadcast WAV, SD2 (Mac) & other formats, both as a Project/recording format and for import/export; no problems there.
Yes, DigiTranslator is your ticket for OMFs.
There are ASIO drivers for the 001; many users complain they're not up to snuff (stability/latency problems compared to some other hardware—but they're still using them!). One thing I recall (since I don't have an 001; mind you) is that the 001's MIDI ports are not recognized by Cubase; you'll need a separate MIDI interface.

Alab
02-05-2004, 07:31 AM
Thank you very much for the information

Alab

DDM
02-06-2004, 02:28 AM
I dont know how much this will help but someone told me about this and I just switched today from being Anti Logic to Cubase SX 2, and the reason is because I use alot of vst instruments to track my music then I go into protools from there. Well now my setup consists of 002 and mbox synched thru midi and word clock so that I can run music on one machine and vocals on the next... Thus giving me 64 tracks of audio... Now of coarse I dont need 64 tracks but I do need about 40 the most with the type of vocal arrangements I do with also the instruments... So therefore which brings me to the point of which I think this would help you.... I found out that if you freeze your virtual instruments in cubase sx 2, it actually creates a wave file of the virtual instrument, thus giving you a wave file of that midi track without having to bounce out the audio or route patch cables to record vst instruments as waves.... Thats a huge time saver.

Also there was a feature that I used to used in logic which I know is in cubase which is instead of using omf to get to protools for those like myself that dont have the digitranslator, you can start all your wave files in your session at the same length then export those group of plugins into there own folder to be exported in to protools so that when you pull them up, they will be all in sync... Well you might be saying that you have a kick drum that doesnt come in til measure 10, well what you do is hit the record but at measure 1 on the kick drum track and only record for a sec on a measure then all you have to do is select everything on the kick drum track then merge everything on that kick drum track together... abra cadabrah!!!! thats it, now everything starts from the begining of the track... now make sure all your audio files start at the same time even though there isnt anything playing, and you can guarantee that it will be in sync, however they dont have to finish all at the same time, its just for starting at the same time.. I hope the info helped!!!

Fireball71
02-21-2004, 04:08 PM
The most tried and true method is to solo each track and export it one by one. Make sure your left and right locators are at the beginning and end of the song. I work with both Nuendo, Cubase SX and Protools, and this method works for me ALL the time. OMF does not work all the time for transfers from any software to another. It still needs a lot of work.

DDM
02-22-2004, 09:49 PM
Your exactly correct on the solo each track thing.... I found out after I read the post... The Freeze function only creates audio files only read by cubase sx format. However its still a very quick process for exporting the files... For example it takes about 21 secs to export a stereo file and 14 secs to export a mono file for a song about 4 minutes long. This method works for me because I have a two systems synced running protools on both machines, 002 and MBox to get a total of 64 tracks of audio. Because I like to have all my instruments as audio files during the mixing process cubase seems to be the cool program for converting my vst instruments to waves quicker oppose to the software I use to use ,Logic which I would have to physcially route cables to and record the instruments as waves, its alot simpler now...