PDA

View Full Version : Mastering without outboard gear

qgrm
01-14-2004, 10:53 AM
Had this posted before in the tips thread--just realised this was actually a question

So wondering if there's some advice out there regarding mixing and mastering, I'm singer/songwriter who plays cello and produces my own demos.

All my processing is done virtually, and wanted some tips on how to get my stuff sounding more like, for example, John Mayer. (I know it's a long shot without outboard processing, but I'm trying anyway)

My current mastering sessions will look something like this:

RenEQ - high pass 25-30Hz, rest as needed, usually add 3dB shelf 10k and up
C4 - I bypass all bands except 200-500 which I compress slightly (this band is often busy with cello parts)
La2a - gain
L1(UM)- I leave this one flat, just use it to keep the La2a from clipping (when I use the L1 for more gain, my mixes sound like crap)
Dither- to 16

Without hearing the stuff I know this is difficult to evaluate, I'm new to this, but I would be pleased to know if/how this plugin sequence is technically incorrect. (I find the bombfactory plugins really tricky to use - i like the sound of the gain a lot, but hard to keep them from clipping).

Any advice for a newbie trying to make technically sound demos? Thanks a million B.

davip
01-14-2004, 05:12 PM
If the LA-2 plugin is clipping, the L1 won't fix it. There's really no way to undo a clip that happened earlier in the chain. If you're getting clipping, lower the LA-2 gain and use the L1 to raise the level. Better yet, get L2, it sounds way better than L1.

qgrm
01-14-2004, 07:51 PM
Likely I'm just using it wrong...ive fiddled with the thing for probably 3 hours over the last month. i just cant get the stuff sounding louder without getting in the red, same with the 1176. Probably bad technique. any tips for setting compression and limiting? (don't have the L2)

thanks B.

spudsound
01-15-2004, 04:48 AM
if your only looking for a little loudness using the L1 then bring the threshold down to the point that it starts to reduce the peaks this will increase the average percieved loudnes of the Audio...
I'd take out the LA2A or the 1176 if your not sure about how to get what you want from them...
However if you use something like the Ren comp and use a low threshold say about -12-15dB below your peaks and a small ratio of say 1:15 and start with the preses for the attack and release controls until you get used to how they affect the program material...this will help smooth out the transients..
lots of little bits of compression will work better than one big dollop...Also with the C4 I'd use all bands and apply a very small anount of compression tho the other bands as well.. you say you leave the 200-500 band if you open this band up a bit you find that you may get more of what you want.. try soloing each band so as you can hear the frequencies that's being affected.. if you find that the lower mid range is getting too busy try to EQ some of the individual tracks to bring back some clarity of over the L&R use some small cuts in the EQ between 200-600 you only need a dB here and there to separate instruments in the lower mids...

Kenny Gioia
01-15-2004, 05:51 AM
No amount of mastering (software or outboard) is gonna make your stuff sound more professional. This stuff happens during the writing, (hit song) arranging and recording and mixing process. If you get these parts right, than mastering will be of little importance.

I hope you're not just using Cello.

Good Luck

qgrm
01-15-2004, 07:25 AM
Thanks very much for the advice and technique. Produceher I really appreciate what you're saying (and yes I sing, play guitar, bass, percussion )

The R-compressor I'm using just like that - good sounding plugin for my stuff. The La2a I love the sound of the gain - I set it for limit, roll off the peak reduction and then adjust the gain to where I think it sounds good. then i adjust the PR. by the time im no longer getting red, when I bypass the plugin it sounds better without. I'm sure I should be able to get better results with this plug....

B.

hurdy gurdy
01-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Hello, this in no way works for everyone but...
Maybe you are already on top of this, but I always make sure my mix is not clipping on the master fader which is inserted, of course, last in my signal chain and/or track list- you might have to bring down the levels of some of your tracks and re-mix a lot of the session. DO this first with NO plug-ins inserted. Then I start to introduce plugs-ins into the session. Also, you can try inserting (on your master fader-or elsewhere if you like) say the compressor then EQ -or vise versa- then your limiter- to try NOT ONLY to achieve a different sound, but also sometimes a better/worse- mix/master while, at the same time, maybe avoiding the clip from getting the bus to hot. This can be common when inserting plug-ins while the tracks are all wailing away at the same time.
Don't clip whatever you do- other than a quick hit or something that could be penciled out-
You have to control your gain structure in the mix- hot signals without clipping are okay, but then you have to mix to control your master.
Produceher is right, nothing can beat a great arrangement!
L.A.Branville
PS. Personally, I use mild amounts of compression and limiting, mostly just to help control things a little and tighten up my pre-masters...ah, EQ that's another question though.

Bob Olhsson
01-15-2004, 05:23 PM
The main thing about mastering is MONITORING. Signal processing is just signal processing and less is frequently more when the monitoring is good enough that you aren't processing a signal just to improve the sound of your monitors rather than the sound of the recording. I agree that 99& of great sound is arranging and most of the rest is the touch of the musicians and the quality of their instruments. The only real magic we have to offer is moving events around in time. Gear makes it easier to do a great job and not screw up the music but what's important is not screwing things up as opposed to the gear.

Doug Ring
01-16-2004, 05:30 AM
you aren't processing a signal just to improve the sound of your monitors rather than the sound of the recording.

That's the nail as squarely hit on the head as I've ever heard. Well done Bob.

Digiquick
01-16-2004, 11:35 AM
Listen to Bob!!!! He knows!!

hurdy gurdy
01-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Quote: "stuff sounding more like, for example, John Mayer".
I tell ya what, I'm not real familiar with his material, and I know he does a lot of "pop", but this cat can play the guitar.
And yes, Bob does know! (SO LISTEN!)
L.A.Branville