PDA

View Full Version : Female vocal problems

MV
10-30-2002, 10:30 PM
Hi.I'm having trouble getting this lady's voice to sound good.The problem is that she has a very nasal quality to her voice that she doesn't like.What can I do minimize this problem?Any mic placement suggestions,eq....????
Thanks a lot,and sorry if it's a dumb question.I'm not an expert.
She's driving me crazy. images/icons/shocked.gif

picksail
10-30-2002, 10:45 PM
Encourage her to embrace her voice (nasaly or otherwise) and embellish the hell out of it. If she lacks confidence then you won't get a worthwhile performance anyway.

Brent Hahn
10-31-2002, 10:03 AM
Try putting the mic about shoulder-high and asking the singer to tilt her head down a little to sing into it. Tilting the head down will open her airway more and fatten up her low end (just like a high-carb diet).

Also, some (mostly expensive) mics are more girl-friendly in the low end than others. AKG C12, for instance. Ditto preamps-cheap ones sound thin. Avalon M5 or 2022, Grace, Buzz, API all have a nice extended bottom.

zoggied
10-31-2002, 10:24 AM
Placing the mic slightly off axis will reduce the nasel cavity resonance in some cases. Additionally, some minor EQ adjustment helps out. Try taking the 2-6k range down around 3db.

MV
10-31-2002, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the answers.The mic I'm using is a Newman TLM103.The preamp is a Bellari RP520.
I have other preamps(HHB Radius10 and Focusrite Voicemaster,and the C24 preamps).Other vocal mic I have is the Shure KSM32.
Any suggestions on a combo?She's also complaining about a lack of low frequencies.

Thanks a lot! images/icons/wink.gif

Kevin lucero
11-02-2002, 03:56 PM
low end:
about six months ago i had a client who was a female, she had a great high end and mid was great. only thing was the low end. i used the avalon 2202 and it worked well with her voice but still low end problum. i then used a d2 and brought the low end up about +2.5 db and rounded the high off, mid brough down about -.5 db and it sound great. i perfer to use the d2 on voice only becasue it seems to sound better then a parmamtic with EQ. you have to remmeber that its not adding anything. its taking away, so you have to not EQ as much. a .5 change is lot. even for me the +2.5 db change in the low ended brough it out, but it also took away some of the performance. the next thing is how many tracks do you have. when i dor vocal recording i have aboyt 10-15 tracks with about 6 VTs. with that i mix the best and edit to make perfect. during playback theres about 6 tracks on the vers and 9 to 10 on chor. thats to give it a very thick sound to it and to besure that theres no weakness in it. some songs that works others it does not. it depends on your song and what it is your trying to do. if its very complex (music wise) then i would bounce the music to left right, and create master fader put a LM(that right?) on it and then create a seconf MF and leave it uncompressed since your compressing the vocal already with an OB compresser. remmebr that if you compress to much agian your taking the life out of it and not really adding anything. so compression needs to be very limited. i normaly will not compress the vocal unless i "have to" and if i do i will use the Renaissances compressor with the master soft slected. though i have changed it for each artist. so thats waht i recomened. hope it turns out well. i would love to know!