PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Metal Hard Rock Bass

music
09-24-2002, 01:51 AM
EQ and compression suggestions needed. What in particular would one cut in the mids if any. Right now I am carving around 400 hz on bass and 230- 270 on kick. What would one boost? What compression ratio, attack and release have been successful as well. Any other suggestions anyone has had success with with would be greatly appreciated. The fellas are tuned to Drop B. I am very close to finishing the mix and am trying different techniques for the kick and bass.

Thanks,

Keith

10-03-2002, 09:12 PM

DrTone
10-04-2002, 01:06 AM
One thing to try is boosting a LOT at 3kHz; this way you can lower the volume in the bass register and clean up the mud. If the EQ overdrives occasionally thats ok and might help the bass to cut. One thing that is always a bit problematic with a hard played bass is that the notes often do not all come with the same intensity and bite, so that you lose a note here and there. Listen carefully for such "holes" and either pull them up with volume automation or replace them by cutting/pasting a similar note. Unfortunately this has to be done by hand, there is almost no work around with a compressor or such (except when you radically overdrive or otherwise alter the sound).
As for compression it depends very much on how the song is constructed and what the bass is actually playing. Maybe the attack is important - raise the attack time. Maybe you need long sustained notes - play with the release until it swings with the beat of the bass line. Maybe you need a loud consistent bass line - try overdriving the compressor and use a short attack....a good plugin to start with is channelstrip, IMO.

Regards, Dan

music
10-04-2002, 06:59 PM
Thanks,

Great suggestions. I am getting a sansamp tube emulator thingy stomp box as well to try it out. Some have said it is the bomb. Others say it is crap. I have not received it yet. If I hate it for recording I can always use it live or as a door stop.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Keith