PDA

View Full Version : How many of you using a analog front end for PT

GrooveEntertainment
09-02-2002, 02:22 PM
Just wondering how many of you are using an analog front end for PT?

PeeTee
09-02-2002, 02:23 PM
I am.

Barnabas
09-02-2002, 08:10 PM
Since the sounds we are capturing are analog, I think that we all must be using an analog front end. (I guess if you are only remixing records, you might not need an analog front end.)

I have lots of assorted preamps that feed my ProTools. The preamps are all analog in and out.

Mike Tholen
09-02-2002, 08:14 PM
me too...

bartel
09-03-2002, 02:42 AM
I changed from mixing in protools back to an nice old analog console as front end, leaving all protools faders at 0db...and guess what...bombastic enhancement
by the way, no expensive converter can reach this images/icons/cool.gif

good luck

GrooveEntertainment
09-03-2002, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by Barnabas:
Since the sounds we are capturing are analog, I think that we all must be using an analog front end. (I guess if you are only remixing records, you might not need an analog front end.)

I have lots of assorted preamps that feed my ProTools. The preamps are all analog in and out.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I feel like a total idiot here images/icons/grin.gif

What I was really trying to say was a small analog mixer... like a Manley 16-2, or Spider, etc...

Mixing "out" of Pro Tools...

Kev
09-03-2002, 03:28 AM
Yep,

In and out.

I am doing more mixing in analog and less in the box. I miss the recall but the results are better and I am re-discovering the reverb boxes.... plugs aren't the same. I haven't given up on the plugs all together, just sharing the work around.

bullyboy
09-05-2002, 09:13 PM
i prefer my hybrid world,.....

i use tube pre's,.......stomp boxes on guitars,....
di's for bass, keys,.......love to mix in protools,...

if your source is good,......the rest is cake,....

my too sense,.....

woodywho
09-05-2002, 10:39 PM
analog is all I know...............as far as a mixer, I'm planning on getting an amek big soon! images/icons/grin.gif
Just like "PT", the d8b is convenient, but just isn't cutting it!! images/icons/frown.gif

tlester
09-06-2002, 07:28 PM
I haven't gotten there, yet. I'm an analog man through and through and am about to embark on the whole PT thing (I think). All my professional audio career has been 2" through Neve and SSL's (with the occasional smaller console in Midi rooms or post rooms). I got out of the biz for a while to start up a dot come and got into computers.

Now I'm back and so much has gone digital! I used to mix to protools and edit the tracks, but it wasn't nearly good enought to track a bit multitrack project.

My bigest fear is that I won't be able to get that big sound I used to get from the Neve's or that really punchy sound that I used to get from the SSL's. It's the last thing that's keeping me from taking the plunge. Maybe after I can put my hands on everything at AES, I'll be more comfortable.

-Tom

Jules
09-08-2002, 12:01 AM
it will either,

1) drive you nuts and you will hate it

2) drive you nuts and you will love it

Either way it will..................etc etc

images/icons/grin.gif