PDA

View Full Version : PSX To Masterlink Question?

M2E
06-18-2002, 04:27 PM
I just bought the Masterlink for a Mix that I'm doing for a Major Label.

I'm Mixing within Pro Tools out to the PSX-100 Apogee.
The session is 24/44.1.
1. Should I just go out the PSX through AES digiout to the Masterlink digiin and keep the Mix 24/44.1 or
2. Should I go out of the PSX analog out to the Masterlink analog in's and bump the Mix up to 24/96.
After I finish the Mix it's going straight to a Mastering House.

Thanx
M2E images/icons/grin.gif

M2E
06-18-2002, 11:51 PM
Bump-Please help here.

Thanx
M2E images/icons/confused.gif

kenn.michael
06-19-2002, 12:43 AM
Hey! If you're not altering the sound at all in the analog domain - like putting a compressor after the PSX output, then I would recommend doing a digital out of the PSX into Masterlink. I have a Masterlink, and I use an L2 as the last part of my chain. I go digi AES out of the L2 into the Masterlink at 24/44.1. It works great, and sounds great. Using analog to bump up to 96K isn't going to really benefit, unless you're doing a lot of analog processing at the end of the chain. Hope this helps. Good luck on your mix!

M2E
06-19-2002, 01:18 AM
Hey kenn-thanx.
But I was told not to use a Limiter on the Master fader and let the Mastering House do that part.
Also you don't hear a difference in bumping it up to 96k from the analog inputs then the digital inputs in 44.1?

Anyone esle going through this or has gone through this?

Thanx
M2E images/icons/confused.gif

Obostic
06-19-2002, 07:24 AM
Why would you use the converters on the Masterlink when you have the PSX100? IMO, if you leave the psx analog, you are adding an unnecessary step in your process. There is no added benefit to upsampling unless a down stream process requires 96k. Furthermore, if you didn't capture the original material at 96K the benefit is lost.

kenn.michael
06-19-2002, 01:46 PM
The L2 is mainly used as my main D/As at the moment, so everything goes through it. When I'm mixing for mastering later, the limiting is turned off. When I do roughs for A&Rs and artists, limiting is in - sounds great!