PDA

View Full Version : Tom Drum editing

seeds
06-14-2002, 02:13 PM
Recently I have, as opposed to using gates and such, just edited down Tom drum rolls/hits by deleting everything out of those tracks except for the segments with the toms themselves, then using crossfades and such to bring them in and out cleanly.

Any of you guys ever done this way, or what do you like better? It is a little more time consuming than gates but I've had better luck..

Ben Jenssen
06-14-2002, 04:04 PM
I do it all the time.
Itís not that time consuming.
And it gets the best results.

sprouseod
06-14-2002, 04:08 PM
Try the strip silence function, Its not exact but it will get you in the ball park, then you can tweak from there.

RDS

Shawn1272
06-14-2002, 05:30 PM
It's like you're using the fastest, cleanest gate ever made. The outboard gates in my studio NEVER get used anymore.

Robotnik
06-15-2002, 02:10 AM
Don't delete the audio!

I automate the volume of each tom hit by bringing the overall levels of the tom channels down to -18dB and then drawing the breakpoint automation decay curves back to 0.0dB for each tom. Once I draw one, I just copy/paste into the rest of the tom hits. This method still preserves some of the ambience picked up by the tom mics and is only enhanced by the overheads. Volume automation is better then any gate plug-in.

Will Russell
06-15-2002, 05:33 AM
Cool! Two different approaches to the same problem.

Kenny Gioia
06-15-2002, 05:44 AM
I always feel that the ringing of the toms provides great ambience. I would never turn them off. Ride the faders.

And if your EQing the hell out of them, the ambience might sound a bit tweaked, try bypassing the EQ until the toms are hit.

Also, don't raise all the toms on each hit. Raise them as each one is being hit.

.05 I cost more

Rail Jon Rogut
06-15-2002, 11:17 PM
One more idea - if you don't want to spend the time writing automation, but you don't want to mute the drums when the toms don't play:

Duplicate the Tom tracks and assign the duplicates to the same voices and outputs as the originals. Place the "cleaned toms" above the "uncleaned toms" in the edit window. Turn the volume of the "Uncleaned tom" tracks about 20dB lower than your "cleaned tom" tracks. Use Strip Silence on the "cleaned tom" tracks.

The "Cleaned Tom" tracks will play back louder than the "Uncleaned Tom" tracks and voice stealing will mute the "uncleaned tom" tracks when needed. Any EQ applied to the "Cleaned tom" tracks won't effect the "uncleaned tom" tracks.

Rail

Corey Shay
06-16-2002, 01:41 AM
Hey Rail thats a good one, but what about the attack/decay. You can't fade between tracks with the same voice. How do you fix this?

Andy Sneap
06-16-2002, 03:55 AM
Depends what your after, I go in and delete between the hits then do a 5 second cross fade on the toms sections left to get rid of any nasty clicks. You can always get the audio back if you need it. I don't find having the tom mic's in there slightly any use whatsoever, but I'm doing some real fast stuff at times, so.....

steveG
06-17-2002, 09:56 AM
FWIW...We trim/fade the regions real tight for working and then go back to the original file for shipping to mix. We always want to give the mixer full use of the tom mics for shaping his drum sound.