PDA

View Full Version : How to DI guitar?

eannamania
06-10-2002, 04:29 AM
Slightly off topic I know, but I've noticed that more and more mic pres (for example, the Universal Audio 2108 and 2-610) are appearing with variable impedance Hi-Z inputs for DI recording. More specifically, the input impedance on these - up to 2MegaOhms - is a good deal higher than I've previously heard of ( the Amek 9098, for example has approx 100kOhms on the DI input) which suggests that you could plug a guitar straight into 'em, and not just run a line level signal from a guitar amp.

So does anyone DI guitar (as opposed to bass) on these pres or others? What techniques do you use, and what's the sound like - any better than a dedicated DI box like, say, the Avalon U5? I'm just wondering as, if the sound is good, it seems to be a quick and easy way to record your basic sound without having to bother with mic placement and stuff. You can always slap a bit of sansamp/amp farm on later in PT to get the exact sound you want.

PS - has anyone used any of the Brent Averill Neve pres for DI'ing bass and guitar? I've heard great things about them as straightforward mic pres, but are they any good for DI?

nwilson@hns.com
06-10-2002, 08:09 AM
DI-'s In the past I used a Vintech 1272 (ok, but a bit too dark for my tastes), Nowdays, I'm mainly using an Avalon U5 which I think is wonderful on just about everything I put through it... great detail, fat, full, clear... a real winner...

I found Averil Neve 1272's DI are ok for guitar, but I prefer the U5... The Averil 312 API is also very good, but still perfer the U5 when A/B'ing.

Not that there's a huge difference, and maybe I would pick the Neve or API over the Avalon if I was A/B'ing as part of tracking / mixing with other tracks - - my A/B'ing is pretty much in solo mode with bass, guitar, and digital piano...

I would love a couple days with a Demeter, Augilar, and Little labs to hear how they compare to to the U5 ... I've heard good things about all these boxes, and need another channel or two...

eannamania
06-11-2002, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by nwilson@hns.com:
I would love a couple days with a Demeter, Augilar, and Little labs to hear how they compare to to the U5 ... I've heard good things about all these boxes, and need another channel or two...<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, me too, especially the Little Labs multi-Z. Unfortunately I'm in Europe, where a lot of equipment is prohibitively expensive (like +70% US price!), and at the moment for me, it's a choice between a good pre and a good DI, so I was really hoping to find one that could do both well. Thanks for the info tho.