PDA

View Full Version : Tips On Mastering For A Marching Band?

Hardnox
05-23-2002, 09:46 AM
Hi, did a favor today for my school's marching band. I recorded them in a room (they weren't marching). Just wanted som tips on Post Production EQ and Compression. The recording came out great! Thanks.

nutshell
05-24-2002, 03:06 PM
Wish I could help you but I was actually gonna ask YOU for some advice...what made your recording sound great?
What kinda mics you use?
Placement?
I'm about to do the same here and I could use all the advice I can get....
thanks in advance....dan

Hardnox
05-25-2002, 01:40 AM
Actually, it had to be quick 'cause the kids in the band didn't have much time. We did it before school one day so they had only a few minutes befor class. We didn't have time to set up all these mics, get a mix, do checks. It had to be "get it and go."

My Audio Production professor from college lent me this beatiful Sony stereo microphone. I'll get you the model number if you want. I put it on a stand dead center in front of the band and it came out fantastic. Probably not the way the San Francisco Symphony would make an album but for this I was really pleasantly surprized. My professor was about to lend me some boom mics to place around the room but he said "This sony mic is all you need for this." I trust him 'cause he's got some years on me with this stuff so I went with his suggestion. He said "keep it simple." Simple payed off very well.

If your going to do a larger project for a band, and have more time, you might assemble a larger rig to make the recording...that's up to you. This was a charity project for my college which is affliated with the high school band that I recorded.

Hope this helps Nutshell.

nutshell
05-25-2002, 05:00 AM
much appreciated and great website. good luck with all of your work!!!!

Hardnox
05-25-2002, 02:33 PM
Thanks, good luck to you too. Checked out your website.