PDA

View Full Version : Transposing the whole song...

lwilliam
05-20-2002, 10:53 AM
I have a song demoed by a male vocalist and would like to re-do it for a female. This would require upwards transposition of a 3rd or 4th. Instead of re-recording all the parts (except drums), I want to see if anyone has tried this...

I don't want to transpose the entire mix because of the drum sounds.

Would Pitch-n-time (or other product) produce USABLE results transposing each pitched track up this much (maintaining formants, etc.)? Would it sound "chipmunky" (is that a word?), or will I have to re-track most parts?

Mémé
05-21-2002, 09:29 PM
Hi William
The right thing is to re-track because you are going too far . 3th ou 4th is too much. You should try but the Pitch'n'Time first , 'cause it sounds really AMAZING , but mostly when you are tuning half or one tone up .Maybe it going to affect the chords...Just imagine your chords going up this far. You're going to have a strange inversion resulting from the process. Besides , going this far , you suposed to lost some Low frequencies.

Good luck

Meme

JGuth
05-22-2002, 10:48 AM
I have done this w Pitch n Time on trk by trk basis. It can work but depends on musical factors like the register of the bass part eg if it's deep in the old key it'll go up ok but if it's a higher
sitting part taking it up may make it to thin etc.
It just depends on your track and if some quality loss is acceptable vs the savings of $. Having beefy drums which dont have to transpose can really
be a life saver in this. Just get a demo of p n time and try it.

slangification
05-22-2002, 04:50 PM
If anything can do it, it's Pitch 'N Time.

lwilliam
05-26-2002, 10:45 AM
Thanks! I think I'll download the demo and give it a whirl (I forgot they had a demo).