PDA

View Full Version : which neve-esque preamps?

xqtion
05-19-2002, 02:39 AM
hello everyone!
can anybody please help my purchase decision between great river mp2-nv , pheonix audio drs2 , and the vintech x-73 ??? i'm just interested in the difference of the sounds between these preamps. i know.... i gotta hear them for myself but i'm in korea and i don't have the luxury to hear them first. although i have heard the vintech x-73 very briefly since my friend owns one. any help would be appreciated.
thanks....
ps. i'll be using it mostly for vox, sampled snr sampled kik ,synth bass.

audiaudio
05-19-2002, 05:44 AM
I prefer the Brent Averill 1272.

Great Neve sound.
<a href="http://piumasoft.com/client/averill/" target="_blank">
averill link</a>

Kenny Gioia
05-19-2002, 08:55 AM
I prefer the Brent Averill 1272.

Great Neve sound.

Ditto

Bing 81
05-20-2002, 11:03 PM
I've never heard the Averill's, but I'm sure they're great units. I have a Phoenix - which I'm very very happy with. They have comments etc. on their WWW site, so maybe check there. A side benefit of the Phoenix also, if you don't have a studio full of gear, is that it has a great DI for guitars etc., or even keyboards. My only regret with the Phoenix is that for the moment at least I can't afford another one!

BillSmith
05-21-2002, 12:01 AM
Why not try a Summit Audio MPE-200 ...
(2) channels of Class A Preamp & 4 Band EQ designed by Rupert Neve...built by Summit.

I have one and love it !!

KaiXXX
05-21-2002, 07:51 AM
How does "original" Neve stuff compare to the Amek products (9098, Channel in a box)?

Brent Hahn
05-21-2002, 09:31 AM
The main problem I've experienced with original Neve stuff from parted-out consoles is deterioration. Filthy pots, shot capacitors, decades of cigarette smoke, stuff like that. Plus you're usually running it all with some home brew power supply.

To my ears, the Averills have all of the good and none of the bad. And the Averills all sound the same.

BH

Andy Sneap
05-21-2002, 01:34 PM
I really dislike the summit mic pre, I don't know if there was a problem with the one I was using but it sounded quite dull and lifeless compared to most other Class A pre's we had in the studio. The 9098 I really like, I think for the money they are great value. You can get the two in on 19" rack also if you dont want the EQ.

Robotnik
05-21-2002, 08:17 PM
Why not just get real Neves? There are lots of companies that can rack modules complete with psu.

Kenny Gioia
05-21-2002, 08:45 PM
Brent Averill are Real Neve's

audiaudio
05-21-2002, 09:18 PM
Yep, in building his mic pre, Averill uses original Neve 1272 Class A modules from the early Neve consoles.

SteinT
05-21-2002, 09:38 PM
Find a gear dealer(s) that you like and get them to demo the units in question, then, pick the one(s) you like best for your taste and applications.
Use your ears.

I happen to like Brent's stuff (Neve and API)but I dont think that the 1272 amp was originally used by Neve as a Mic Pre. It stills sounds good so does original Neve stuff. With any truly vintage product; Neve, older API, Telefunken, etc, there can be maintanance issues.

Good Luck,
Ted

Robotnik
05-21-2002, 11:52 PM
The 1272 was the mic-pre for the talkback section. You can find raw 1272 modules for around $450.

Now, 1073...that's a different story. images/icons/grin.gif

SteinT
05-21-2002, 11:53 PM
Sorry xqtion.

I did not carefully read your post. I can understand that is dificult to demo audio products in Korea.

API currently makes the 512 mic pre and they may have a rep in Korea.

xqtion
05-22-2002, 12:13 AM
thanks guys for helping me out.
here's an informing thread about different neve-esque preamps compared to the real ones.....
http://www.prosoundweb.com/recpit/viewtopic.php?t=1549
again thanks and keep them coming!

xqtion
05-22-2002, 12:15 AM
thanks guys for helping me out.
here's an informing thread about different neve-esque preamps compared to the real ones.....
http://www.prosoundweb.com/recpit/viewtopic.php?t=1549
again thanks and keep them coming!

nwilson@hns.com
05-22-2002, 07:48 AM
I had a used Vintech 1272 and later got one Brent's 1272 racked pair. Many people on these message boards claim the two units are close to the same, but I and a couple of others that shared in the blind A/B test much prefered the Neve 1272 over the Vintech 1272...

Maybe my Vintech was an early version (I've read that some Vintech X73 and maybe some Vintech 1272 have slight mod changes between production dates and/or tweaks for customer requests) or maybe there was something out of spec...

I wouldn't worry about the difference in sound, if I was on a tight budget, and needed the difference in price to cover other things in the studio (like a good mic, etc.), but in my case the difference in sound was noticeable and I could afford the Neve price, and I figure the Neve will hold it's value.... all in all worth the difference to me..

BTW, I also filled a Brent rack with his API modules and later picked up some early 550 A's (dual op amp) Eq's.... Must say that many times I'm going for the API's over the Neve 1272... The API's have some magic for the music that I've been recording lately (folk, blues, swing, vocal intense stuff)...

Allen Hallada
05-22-2002, 10:03 AM
http://www.mercenary.com/greatrivelmp.html

Here is a link describing the differences in the Great River MP2NV (1073 Neve) and the 1272 units. I have been using the MP2NV for a couple of months now with a Soundelux U99 mic for male vocals. The people that have heard the combo have all told me that it sounds like it was done in a big pro studio. This unit is nothing short of amazing. I would not sacrifice the lower head room of the Averill 1272 over this unit near the same price for two pre-amps. I think that Dan Kennedy and Great River is making some of the best pre-amps available.
It is killer, buy it.
Allen images/icons/smile.gif

indieric
05-25-2002, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by xqtion:
hello everyone!
can anybody please help my purchase decision between great river mp2-nv , pheonix audio drs2 , and the vintech x-73 ??? i'm just interested in the difference of the sounds between these preamps. i know.... i gotta hear them for myself but i'm in korea and i don't have the luxury to hear them first. although i have heard the vintech x-73 very briefly since my friend owns one. any help would be appreciated.

If you want the 1066/1073 sound without the cost, I highly recommend vingtage calrec or audix modules. The BBC commissioned 3 companies to build broadcast boards in the 70s (Neve, Calrec, and Audix) All are very similar in style; however, Neves are sought after becuase of their transformers.

I have a pair of 1066s that are awesome, I have one Calrec pq14s that is equally as awesome, I only have one if someone has one they want to see email me now!!!!!!!!!!! It is also noteworthy that they are fraction of the cost of neves.

Also I do not own the Averill stuff but I have talked to him and his stuff is built solid!!!!
thanks....
ps. i'll be using it mostly for vox, sampled snr sampled kik ,synth bass.<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">

Count Zero
05-28-2002, 06:12 AM
I would be very interested in hearing more about the Amek stuff too. Does it sit up there with the others ?

BTW I just started using the Chimera Navigator browser under OS X and so far I think it is really good. In prep for a move over to X, I use X for everything (apart from music !).

24-bit
05-28-2002, 10:35 AM
Neve 1272's don't have the bottem end or gain of the 10 series preamps like the 1073. There's a big difference in how they both sound. That's why there's also a big difference in price.