PDA

View Full Version : looking for advice/tips from music editing guru !!

vudoo
05-17-2002, 03:14 AM
Hi all,

I will be editing a 32 track 2 hour show. I will be using PT HD2, 192 I/O.
Even though i've used PT for a while i've never really done much editing since i've always prefer trying to capture the right take and leave it as oppose to chopping stuff to death but for this project i have no choices since it's live.
After listening to the show, i will start by fixing the drums and the rebuilt everything around it. What about the mics from the other instruments picking up the drums live... so when i move my drums tracks ..will those other mics cause phase problem, let alone it sounding totally out of wack ?? What's the best way to fix the drums if most of the stuff is not done to a click ?? Do you cut everything apart with beat detective and regrid them to taste ?? Thanks

snoopy
05-18-2002, 02:06 AM
All I can say is good luck to ya :-)

I have done a lot of live recording, but fixing timing was never really feasable because of all the bleed in all the other mics, or mostly the room mics, which to me are a must have if you're trying to re-create the live show. Even tuning vocals and such is really hard. Of course you could ditch the room mics and use reverb to simulate it, but to me, it's just not the same. I much rather capture the experience as it was to be there than to simply fix everything. If that's the case, why not just have them record in the studio and overdub crowd noise?

vudoo
05-18-2002, 11:23 AM
Actually,

I don't think there was a room mic....besides, i'm having a hard beleiving that most live recording CDs we buy are a one timer !!! But you're right it'll be a pain with all the bleeding.

vudoo
05-18-2002, 09:55 PM
Dave,

Thanks a lot....wow !!! you must do this a lot...anyways, i'll tackle the project in a week or so and i surely will have more question for you. Thanks again.

bjorn for a reason
05-19-2002, 12:45 AM
I do this all the time on tightly recorded groups with leakage and while i'm sure there are a thousand ways to do it heres' mine.
1)Restore session to original state.
2)create group of all recorded trax, I use "perf"
3)create new trax equal in number to orig. perf
3.1)select all audio and copy/drag to "fix" traks
4) undo groups for a moment, name fix trxs and place each "fix" trk directly underneath its' original.
5)create group for "fix trks"
6)create identical nested groups for "fix tracks that exist in perf trxs. and match un automated fader levels. create groups of prerf and fix for each set of nested groups Ie "all drums" etc so mix levels will affect both. (wow that sounds goofy) get it?
7)mute fix trxs and listen to first 10 min or so of perf. identify the timing flubs.
8) trim "fix" audio back to approx start of flub make cut in perf audio for duration of flub,
and while grouped, slide fix audio back and forth in time until passage "works" with reference to the timing. fade and mix both sets of tracks to taste. keeping in mind that rarely will you be able to fade across all trax in both groups, so celebrate when you can! usually it will require separate fades for each of your nested groups, drums bass brass etc. you can solo these nested groups while you fade across each. this is how you hide the flubs and its an art! when each nested group works, listen to all! Then begin the process again on the next edit give your client a copy of befotr and after to legitamize your work. If the difference isn't obvious your either not doing it correctly or being to pickey. Hope your not married!!! one of the main advantages is that visually its easy to see whats happening where. just make sure that when you nudge the "fix trxs" the group is ALWAYS on!!! be realistic about what really needs to be fixed and try to work cronologically as it gets harder if you miss an edit and do it later... you have to always select all the down stream audio every time.
I use this technique when I record sym. stuff only I have "perf trax" and "reh trx" thats when it gets REALLY interesting.. removing coughs etc...hope this helps,
GOOD LUCK!!!

dave bjornson

PDupre
05-23-2002, 10:51 AM
Voodo,

Strip Silence is great for this application. Hopefully, the bleed is at a much lower level than the signal you were intending to records on each track. You can remove all of the sound below a certail level and have totally clean tracks. Having said that, I hope you have an audience track or two, because if you don't, there goes your audience.

Good luck.

Peter

Mark Haliday
05-29-2002, 01:37 PM
Just a little addendum to the excellent "bjornfor a reason" post

3)create new trax equal in number to orig. perf
3.1)select all audio and copy/drag to "fix" traks
4) undo groups for a moment, name fix trxs and place each "fix" trk directly underneath its' original.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Can be achieved in one operation by simply selecting the tracks and then Files>Duplicate selected tracks. images/icons/cool.gif